Now that the government has provided temporary relief on both sides of the border to ... Stackers' Lounge forum

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4

Would you Buy an American Car?

Advertisement

Now that the government has provided temporary relief on both sides of the border to Chrysler and GM, would you buy an American Car?

Note, I did not say an American made car. I am refering to the Big 3. Ford, Chrysler and GM

This financial relief is short term. It buys them a few months. Unless people start buying cars, it will not save them, and last I checked, we are heading into the eye of the storm (recession).

Some say, we should just let the Big 3 go bankrupt. Let someone else acquire the assets cheaply and get rid of the unions all together.

Thoughts? Comments? Would you buy an American Car?

DaTruth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31c96188
    I would buy an american car if I was in the market for one. Right now I would rather save my money because one never knows what's instore for them. As far as the bail out goes it can be a good thing because the auto industry does trickle down and affect so many other jobs but what if another company purchased one of the big 3. Wouldn't the jobs still be safe? I think the government should have explored other options first and used th money for the unemployeed that need it
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Ge
    You are correct, the auto industry affects so many other industries indirectly. Magna for one has laid off lots of people and closed a plant just because of the 6 week hiatus.

But if the bail did not happen, the tax payers would be responsibile for the millions of people that would be unemployed in the form of unemployment insurance. As you mentioned, it is not just the Big 3, it extends or trickles down to other industries. What about Good Year, Michelan, and Firestone?

$14 Billion maybe cheap, especially since a million people collection unemployment insurance for a year can easily exceed $14 Billion

Do you currently drive an American car or an import?

DaTruth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31c96188
    import that I got for less than an american car unfortunatly. I hope this does not become a trend to bail out who ever needs money. The auto industry is one of those things where yea the bail out helps but if the economy doesn't pick up they will gounder eventualy. People would rather buy used cars or continue repairing their old cars because they need to conserve funds. Hopefully the bail out prevents that but only time will tell

Ge
    They bailed out the banks, now the auto industry.

Who's next?
    Last edited by Ge; 12-21-2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

grymtyrant@msn. no está en línea Stack level 3
    I drive a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. And if I had money I would definatley buy another Ford if I could afford it. I probably will in the next 3-4 years assuming that Ford will stabilize its finances.

Hank061978 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    They bailed out the banks, now the auto industry.

Who's next?
    Hopefully US!!! Breaking News!!! The Government is passing a 500 GAZILLION dollar bill that will bail out all Americans!!! All DEBT wiped clean!!!! RALMAO

Anyway my next purchase will take me over the fence to Toyota or Nissan and my wife will take nothing but a Kia. We currently own a Grand Am and Stratus. Personally I think the Tocama is just a hot looking pickup and Toyota is known for there vehicles lasting "forever".

Happy Holidays All Stackers,
    Mark
    Hate me for everything I am before you love me for something I'm NOT!!!

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    This is a repeat of the 70's oil crisis. American cars where then huge gas munchers and with the price of petrol people switched to fuel efficient jap cars. They never learned from this. They continue to make cars that are too big and use lots of gas. The credit crunch did not help but their range is too focused to big thirsty engines. They could have seen this coming but where too busy trying to get as many cup holders into there 5 ton SUV.
    They are doomed from what I can see.

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Personally, I don't own a domestic at this time but if I were in the market I would probably buy a caddy to assist the industry. I am definitely for the government assisting the big three. The consequences would be too dire if it were not to happen. On the downside, these manafucturers claim that this will only assist them for only a few months. What will happen a few months from now? Will they ask again? I think that all their plans are for the long term. I did not particulary pay attention to this closely but I'm curious about what other peoples thoughts are about the future for these big three as well.

I myself am part of the automotive industry lay offs. I currently work for a large automotive manufacturer and will be officially laid off on the 31st. They are a large company with a huge history stemming back over 110 yrs. Everyone is taking a hit at this time and I believe that it will get worse before it will get better.

MHutch30 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    cnAsk4it
    I am for the government assisting the big three-as long as it's a restructuring-NOT just a hand out. My family has been w/ GM as long as I can remember-several family members worked for them.

Having said that, I am tired of our domestic car companies failing to put out products as reliable as their Japanese counterparts. Having owned and bought only GM since I've been driving, I will never buy another. I have purchased several new from them, treated them like babies, only to have some pretty major warranty items go wrong, a few recalls for minor things and some serious repair bills after the warranty is up. I have watched friends literaly abuse their toyotas and hondas with no major problems. I bought a used 4Runner and never had a repair issue even after it had 150K on it. Just traded it for another Runner. It's not as luxurious as a tahoe or explorer would be-but i'll never have to have the engine or tranny overhauled...
    I hope we can get our Big 3 back on track- and I hope they get back on board with quality and longevity.

tippmann15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I would purchase an american car if i was in the market ;-) however iam against the bailout, free market is the frame of thought i tend to use. Bailing out the big 3 with such terrible managment wont do anything but extend the last breath of the "big 3".

mserica513 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    OOPS!
    yea I would, I still want a bigger SUV but I'm not in the market right now. if the price is right then yea. I'd buy American any day, I would like to keep as much money in the US as possible.. after all I do live here..
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Insert catchy phrase here..

Ge
    The restructuring of the Big 3 is not going to make any difference. They can trim all the fat they want. They can cut costs etc.

Unless the consumer starts buying American cars, all you will have, are auto workers building cars that no one is buying.

That will just lead to more lay offs, more plant closures.

It starts here with your decision to buy American.

The quality is slowly getting there. They are working more closely with the Japanese, but there is no faith in the product. The people have spoken. The imports do cost more than the domestics, but consumers don't care. They have no problem shelling out three to four grand more for an import.