Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I usually sort of freestyle my workouts. Go to the gym and sort of see ... Stackers' Lounge forum

tj2311111 Guest

Workout Routines?

Advertisement

I usually sort of freestyle my workouts. Go to the gym and sort of see what I feel like doing.

But recently I decided to make it more organized and focused. More focused routine=Better and faster results

Heres my daily basic workout routine:

Monday-Chest and Triceps
    Tuesday- Legs
    Wednesday- Shoulders and Biceps
    Thursday- Forearms, Abs, and Calves
    Saturday- 1 Mile Walk (Cardio)

For all you BB users that go to the gym often is that a good routine to follow. Is there anything missing or is there a better layout for the routines?

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Workout Routines?

how long do you do these for each day?

tj2311111 Guest

At least 1 hour a day. Most of times I do it 2 hours a day though. 1 hour in the morning and 1 in the afternoon.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

damn i don't have the stamina to do it for that long... LOL Do you do a bit of cardio before each work out?

tj2311111 Guest

Lol. Its not that bad when you get use to it. Its actually refreshing after a workout you never feel better. Helps when you have access to a gym 24/7 basically (college gym).

I try not to do cardio before workouts. I do a couple minutes of stretching to loosen up but I try to get cardio on separate days from when I'm using weights. I heard its actually counter productive if you do cardio and weight training in the same day. Dont know if thats true or not but thats why I do them on separate days.
    Last edited by tj2311111; 12-05-2007 at 08:45 PM.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

hmmm then i am gonna have to have a talking to my personal trainer cause she makes me do cardio before anything else.

tj2311111 Guest

Like I said I don't know if thats true or not, its just something Ive heard. I mean if your personal trainer says it is best for you, I would go with it. Thats what they get paid for. Lol. As long as you have enough energy for your weight training you should be okay. I just prefer to do it separately anyway, better for muscle growth.

Cardio+Weights on same day is good for weight loss. Not my goal I'm where I want to be, I'm more concerned with muscle. If your goal is weight loss stick to Cardio and Weights on the same day.
    Last edited by tj2311111; 12-05-2007 at 09:19 PM.

alwaysbelieve1 no está en línea Stack level 5

Here's some great cardio that will give you some of the absolute best results you could ultimately get. Think whether you'd rather look like a typical sprinting athlete or marathon running athlete. Which looks better? Which looks healthier? I'll take the sprinter any day of the week. Here's why:

Interval Training

WHY INTERVALS?

Aerobic vs. Anaerobic Cardio Conditioning Training:

Aerobic training benefits cardiovascular function and decreases body fat – all good. Aerobic conditioning allows us to engage in low power extended efforts efficiently (cardio/respiratory endurance and stamina). This is critical to many sports & health concerns.
    Individuals engaged in sports or training where a preponderance of the training load is spent in aerobic efforts witness decreases in muscle mass, strength, speed, and power. It is not uncommon to find marathoners with a vertical leap of only several inches! Furthermore, aerobic activity has a pronounced tendency to decrease anaerobic(muscular resistance) capacity. This does not bode well for most athletes or those interested in elite fitness.

You want Layman's terms? Ok- I'll give them to you.

Conventional cardio performed on equipment (bike, stepper, rower, elliptical, etc.) consists of thirty to forty-five minutes of an even-paced activity. The participant seeks out by, calculation or a heart monitor, his or her preferred heart rate and goes for the chosen duration. The goal is to burn calories (and, hopefully fat) as well as develop the efficiency of the heart and lungs. The activity raises the metabolism and calorie burning continues for an extended period of time throughout the day. It works to a degree. Beats the couch, TV, and a bag of chips by a mile. However, the monotony, non-creativity, invested time and scramble for equipment takes its toll on most everyone. It is a waste of time!

When you do a cardio session at the same pace the whole time, your body goes into what is called a "steady state". This means that your body has adjusted itself to the speed you are going and tries hard to conserve energy (calories). You will be able to avoid this and burn more calories and FAT by doing the interval training.

Here's to being productive:
    Short blasts of high intensity cardio snaps the trainee out of the adaptive "steady state" the body wisely seeks to conserve energy (calories) when practicing the same pace, low intensity, long duration protocol of ordinary aerobics. Tricks are in order. The metabolism reaches a more heightened state for a longer period of time after high intensity intervals, assuring the performer of continued fat burning effects. Cardiovascular conditioning is achieved much sooner according to studying physicians.

When it comes to the heart rate question— whether to stay lower or higher — this is your answer. At a lower % of max heart rate (65%), a larger percentage of calories burned come from fat than at a higher heart rate (75-85%). HOWEVER, despite the percentages, you will burn more total calories and therefore more total fat calories at a higher heart rate.

The key to developing the cardiovascular system without an unacceptable loss of strength, speed, and power is interval training. Interval training mixes bouts of work and rest in timed intervals.

Interval training need not be so structured or formal. One example would be to sprint between one set of telephone poles and jog between the next set alternating in this manner for the duration of a run. Creativity is welcome as you feel your way around the intervals. Vary the load intensity and rest intervals according to your moods and needs. You want to use the level progressions I provide below to get you to a point where your interval cardio training takes you no longer than 12 minutes!!! That's right I said 12 minutes! You will have a lot more time for a lot more things in your life.

The general rule about interval training is that if you feel like you can do more at the end you have done it wrong. You need to fully exert yourself to your utmost. This is not where you get off the nice machine, grab your book, and go on with your day. After interval training you feel as if you just got hit by a Mack truck, but the results will astound you. After a while you will love performing interval training and look forward to it.

THAT WAS THE WHY.

NOW ABOUT THE HOW & WHAT...

Ok, here it is:

Choose your exercise whether it be the elliptical cross-trainer, treadmill, stairmaster, street running, etc.
    You will NOT exceed 20 minutes-which is considered a perfect amount of time for intervals because the intensity will be very high. 3 times a week- 5 max!

Your goal is NOT to burn a specific amount of calories because more than double what the machine's read-out will say would have been used.

Your goal IS to keep your intensity as high as possible. This will bring your cardiovascular conditioning to levels you never thought possible as well as peak your metabolic rate- essentially expending a greater number of calories while at rest(which is what you do most of the time).

Examples of a typical workout:
    -The following options are merely that- options as you can perform many others.

Level 1: Basic

Time Involved: 12-15 minute intervals

Machine: Precor elliptical

Setup: Incline set at 6(no higher) Resistance set between 8-12

Process: Pay close attention to the Strides Per Minute.
    You want the slow pace to be no lower than 150-160 and the fast pace to be as close to or exceeding 200.

-Remember this is for 1 minute slow and 1 minute fast for a total of 20 min.

Level 2: Intermediate

Time Involved: 12-15 min.

Machine: StepMill (escalator like) StairMaster

Setup: Slow min. at 6/ Fast min. at 12 -OR- Slow at 8 & Fast at 16.

Level 3: My favorite

Guerrilla or Tabata Sprints

WARNING!!! This option is very, very intense and should only be tried carefully.

Time Involved: 12 minutes total effort (20 seconds working/ 10 seconds resting)

Machine or Method: On treadmill, stairs or outdoor streets

The working period is a all-out/non-stop sprint followed by the rest period which is a non-working rest. The rest is you actually standing in place, not moving and catching your breath for the quick 10 seconds.

Process:
    Minutes 1-4:
    Warm-up @ 50% of perceived maximum sprint effort followed by:

Minute 5:
    Sprinting for 20 seconds
    Rest for 10 seconds
    Sprinting for 20 seconds
    Rest for 10 seconds

Minute 6:
    Sprinting for 20 seconds
    Rest for 10 seconds
    Sprinting for 20 seconds
    Rest for 10 seconds

Minute 7:
    Sprinting for 20 seconds
    Rest for 10 seconds
    Sprinting for 20 seconds
    Rest for 10 seconds

Minute 8:
    Sprinting for 20 seconds
    Rest for 10 seconds
    Sprinting for 20 seconds
    Rest for 10 seconds

Minutes 9-12:
    Cool-down @ 50% of perceived maximum sprint effort (same as warm-up)

Should you have any questions or need a demonstration for these exercises please consult a fitness professional ASAP. This cardio program is part of an overall elite conditioning program based upon your unique fitness goals.

Have fun!

Here's some basic High-intensity strength training info:

The major difference between standard and high-intensity strength training is effort level. A set of standard strength exercise is typically terminated at the point of muscle fatigue; namely, when another repetition cannot be performed. This training procedure provides sufficient muscle challenge and produces satisfactory strength gains with both single- and multiple-set protocols.

On the other hand, high-intensity strength training continues the exercise set beyond the point of muscle fatigue. That is, when another repetition cannot be performed, the resistance or the exercise is altered in a manner that permits continuation of the training set. This requires greater effort, and results in further muscle fatigue, which involves more muscle fibers and increases the strength-building stimulus. High-intensity strength training is more physically demanding than standard strength training, and requires longer recovery periods for enhanced tissue remodeling/muscle building. Two high-intensity training sessions a week are recommended for maximum strength development. Three popular and productive high-intensity procedures are breakdown training, assisted training and pre-exhaustion training.

Source: Westcott, W., and T. D'Arpino. High Intensity Strength Training. Healthy Learning: Monterey, Calif. (in press).

Make sure you ALWAYS train legs in your routine and if you think you are working them by cardio conditioning you are mistaken. That is simply a red muscle fiber(endurance) situation where you need to work your white & intermediate fibers(strength and power). Legs is what it's all about!

Also one of the most important things is that you stop training body parts and instead train movements. Try incorporating full body movements such as DB or BB thrusters as well as cleans and pull-ups into your routines.

Here are some good examples:

Clean:
    Great all around power strength builder.
    Click Here

Power Clean:
    Pretty much the same as a clean with bending at the knees when catching the bar at the top.
    Click here

Turkish Getup:
    I love this one as it is very old school and is great for all the stabilizers and just building raw strength.
    Click Here

Make sure that every workout is different and always changing in order to keep your body from adapting.

Personally I never train "body parts", but instead I train movements. I do my best to synergistically work the body as nature intended by using compound movements most of the time. I rarely- almost never- isolate.

My intensity is always high and would never go into the gym to waste my time with a light day.

In training I have adapted the Bruce Lee methods: Use no way as way and no limitation as limitation. Anything goes as long as it works. Throw away what does not- keeping only that which does.

When training always remember: Less Is More!

You want the basics of it all. Well here you go:
    Here is the Layman's science behind it all...

Eat like this: Click Here

- Add more low - intermediate index glycemic carbs such as Yams, Old Fashion Oats(never quick oats or steel cut), fruits, and whole grains.

- Also add more nuts such as peanuts(help testosterone regualtion), cashews, pistachios, and almonds. Nuts are calorie dense and supply good fats and a small amount of protein. You can make your own healthy trail mix with dried oats and a few nuts to blend in along with raisins.

- Make sure every meal as 1.5-2 grams of protein per lb. of body weight. This will make sure you continue to build quality muscle.

If your goal is to gain size- just so you know if you gain between 10-15 lbs. of muscle a year that is good. It doesn't sound like much, but give it 5 years- WOW! You just gained 50-75 lbs. of quality muscle weight.

It is a science and you have to apply it right. You just don't stumble across weight gain unless it's fat. Remember that...

Sleep at least 8-9 hours a night. This is when your body recovers. You build 75% of your muscle while sleeping so if you neglect it you can kiss your results goodbye. Good sleep and nutrition will also keep your metabolism and immune systems high so that you are strong.

The last step is train smart and train hard- always. Never over-train or you will see negative results.

-The F.I.T. Principle-

The effectiveness of your exercise depends on three factors:

*how often you exercise
    *how hard you exercise
    *how long you exercise

at each workout session.

These ingredients make up the FIT Principle which stands for:
    Frequency, Intensity, and Time.

To achieve fitness you need to meet minimum standards for each FIT factor.

I have more info on my forum if anyone wants to check it out: CLICK HERE
    Last edited by alwaysbelieve1; 12-05-2007 at 09:41 PM.
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

tj2311111 Guest

Thats some great info. Thanks for posting that, really helpful and great tips.

Remember that no matter what you do in the gym that alone will not make you look or feel a certain way. Lifting weights will not necessarily make you get big muscles and doing a lot of cardio exercise will not necessarily make you lose a lot of fat. Yes both of these can happen, however it solely depends on your diet and what you eat and when you eat it.

Many people believe that having a healthy body is as simple as going to the gym running or cycling for cardio, lifting some weights and then throwing in a few stretches. Getting in shape is not easy or if it was more people would already be there.

The term “lifting-weights” is merely gym jargon for machine-based training and/or conventional style free-weight- bodybuilder style weight training. My Boot Camp program necessitates functional exercise with the use of compound, bodyweight, and plyometric movements. This provides a well-rounded form of training as well as allows your body to practice movements performed practically every day in natural life.

BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

LPTruth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbelieve1 View Post
    Remember that no matter what you do in the gym that alone will not make you look or feel a certain way. Lifting weights will not necessarily make you get big muscles and doing a lot of cardio exercise will not necessarily make you lose a lot of fat. Yes both of these can happen, however it solely depends on your diet and what you eat and when you eat it.

Many people believe that having a healthy body is as simple as going to the gym running or cycling for cardio, lifting some weights and then throwing in a few stretches. Getting in shape is not easy or if it was more people would already be there.

The term “lifting-weights” is merely gym jargon for machine-based training and/or conventional style free-weight- bodybuilder style weight training. My Boot Camp program necessitates functional exercise with the use of compound, bodyweight, and plyometric movements. This provides a well-rounded form of training as well as allows your body to practice movements performed practically every day in natural life.
    I just joined a boot camp near my home and holy crap! It reminds me of the work outs we use to do for Soccer training in high school and college! I worked out on my own at home in the morning before my shower and after work. I kept my routine a non routine! Meaning I tried not to do the same workout within a 7 day period. But the Boot Camp is so completely different than I thought! My home workout was typical weight training, the boot camp is far from it!

After checking out Always site earlier this year as well as talking to a few fitness guru's at work a month or so back, I started doing the "sprinters" style workout out. Sprint and jog methods and I've lost about 35lbs in close to 3 months. I changed my eating habits as well. I'm happy with the results, but know I can do better.

This boot camp I'm getting involved in is the way to go! I didn't realize how much I missed the workouts I did in the past with athletics. The Team mentality of the boot camp workout really helps you push yourself farther than you thought you would!
    www.BlackLightThemes.com
    Free Ringtones, Wallpapers and Themes
    www.BBIconStore.com
    Make your new theme Pop with new Icons

Thumbs up Re: Workout Routines?

Quote Originally Posted by LPTruth View Post
    I just joined a boot camp near my home and holy crap! It reminds me of the work outs we use to do for Soccer training in high school and college! I worked out on my own at home in the morning before my shower and after work. I kept my routine a non routine! Meaning I tried not to do the same workout within a 7 day period. But the Boot Camp is so completely different than I thought! My home workout was typical weight training, the boot camp is far from it!

After checking out Always site earlier this year as well as talking to a few fitness guru's at work a month or so back, I started doing the "sprinters" style workout out. Sprint and jog methods and I've lost about 35lbs in close to 3 months. I changed my eating habits as well. I'm happy with the results, but know I can do better.

This boot camp I'm getting involved in is the way to go! I didn't realize how much I missed the workouts I did in the past with athletics. The Team mentality of the boot camp workout really helps you push yourself farther than you thought you would!
    That is one of the best testimonials I've heard in a very long time! Congrats for you results and hard work. It takes a certain type of person to truly understand what it takes to succeed in fitness and health- then execute. You sound like you're doing exactly that.

I run my own Boot Camp in Chandler, Arizona and I love it!!! It's so much fun and constantly changing. Best of luck in yours and maybe one day you can join me for a Synergy workout.

BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

PIN/ID
    PM me

That is one of the best testimonials I've heard in a very long time! Congrats for you results and hard work. It takes a certain type of person to truly understand what it takes to succeed in fitness and health- then execute. You sound like you're doing exactly that.

I run my own Boot Camp in Chandler, Arizona and I love it!!! It's so much fun and constantly changing. Best of luck in yours and maybe one day you can join me for a Synergy workout.
    Thanks man! I'm retiring in Sedona... or just moving there sooner! Hell, I might just fly out there for a vacation and stop by! I'd love to join ya! I haven't felt this good in years!
    www.BlackLightThemes.com
    www.BBIconStore.com

Quote Originally Posted by LPTruth View Post
    Thanks man! I'm retiring in Sedona... or just moving there sooner! Hell, I might just fly out there for a vacation and stop by! I'd love to join ya! I haven't felt this good in years!
    You are welcome any time!!! Just go to my website and grab my email address and let me know when you'll be in town whenever that is. That email goes to my phone or you can just PIN me too then I'll give you my cell #. When are you planning on moving here and retiring?

I look forward to it.

BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

PIN/ID
    PM me

You are welcome any time!!! Just go to my website and grab my email address and let me know when you'll be in town whenever that is. That email goes to my phone or you can just PIN me too then I'll give you my cell #. When are you planning on moving here and retiring?

I look forward to it.
    Will do and thanks!

I won't be retiring for a long time, but a move to Cali is possible soon! I have an interview in Pasadena to schedule for sometime in Feb or March depending on their schedule. I'll know more after the holidays.
    www.BlackLightThemes.com
    www.BBIconStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast