Looking for someone who KNOWS their stuff- MCP, MCSE level stuff here. I need some ... Stackers' Lounge forum

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Windows XP- TECHNICAL EXPERTISE NEEDED

Advertisement

Looking for someone who KNOWS their stuff- MCP, MCSE level stuff here.

I need some help with this.

I have a IBM Thinkpad bloated with software and junk. I have begun to remove unnecessary files/apps and programs from the HD. I have noticed however that my start up process is 1) taking longer than average and 2) all of the sudden my wireless card doesn't recognize my network.

I am beginning to think that either fragmented files, old registry files, and or too many start up processes still initiating that are not vaild.

In addition to not starting up fast, system occassionally freezes up and i get the black screen asking to start up in safe mode or with "good last known configuration"

ASIDE from re-imaging (aka rebuilding) my HD and starting from scratch, what can I do to optimize my laptop???

ALL OPINIONS ARE WELCOME

Here are the basic specs-
    IBM Thinkpad
    Intel Pentium 3- 1.2 Ghz
    30 GB hard drive (20GB used, 10 Free)
    1GB of ram

Thanks

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Hi peguero,

Sorry to here your having problems, welcome to Windows as i often tell myself.

Anyway you could certainly try and fix the fragmented files clean out the registry or look deeper into the process no longer needed but it may or may not help. It could and often takes you to other areas that also need attention and before you know it you have spent hours or days trying to fix all the issues. As a MCP and MCSE i often recommend just saving those items you really need to a seperate source media and start over.
    I say this b/c installing a fresh copy of Windows will take you 30-40 minutes and what ever the problem was will be gone.

This is only my opinion and i'm only trying to offer the quickest/cleanest way of fixing your tired Laptop.

Trouble shooting many issues often is not worth the effort when all you have to do is wipe and start fresh.

good luck tho?

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741
    Hi peguero,

Sorry to here your having problems, welcome to Windows as i often tell myself.

Anyway you could certainly try and fix the fragmented files clean out the registry or look deeper into the process no longer needed but it may or may not help. It could and often takes you to other areas that also need attention and before you know it you have spent hours or days trying to fix all the issues. As a MCP and MCSE i often recommend just saving those items you really need to a seperate source media and start over.
    I say this b/c installing a fresh copy of Windows will take you 30-40 minutes and what ever the problem was will be gone.

This is only my opinion and i'm only trying to offer the quickest/cleanest way of fixing your tired Laptop.

Trouble shooting many issues often is not worth the effort when all you have to do is wipe and start fresh.

good luck tho?
    Thanks for the response. I was trying to avoid exactly what you are describing. I know that is the fastest way to fix my issues, just trying to see if I had other options.

wstahlm80 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    4017DDF7
    Quote Originally Posted by peguero
    Thanks for the response. I was trying to avoid exactly what you are describing. I know that is the fastest way to fix my issues, just trying to see if I had other options.

unfortunately......when windows reaches the point which you have described.....there is no "good" fix for it...........you are more or less forced to format and reinstall......

.....in all reality.....if you are going to continue to be a windows consumer.....you need to seriously rethink how you are using your computer.....you need to start saving all of your data in two places....one on your harddrive (preferably on a separate partition from your boot partition) and the second being on a removable HDD...............then....you should format at least annually.....preferabley every 6mo.................

...........Microsoft has thrown their windows product together from a variety of different sources....most of which who do not communicate with the other....thus resulting in a poor product..........until they start over from scratch and go through a few renditions, you as the consumer will never have what you need........

PIN/ID
    THANKS for the responses guys.

Just backed up critical data and began rebuild.

PIN/ID
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Hey guys-quick question- I just reformatted my laptop, I was having some networking issues. Did a clean install of winxp pro with norton AV and zonealarm firewall. Still experiencing a few system freezes with using my wireless card- essentially hardwired into my network I have no issues, pop in wireless card and I get freezes/system lags- I would guess it was the wireless card however I been using this set up for a while and only recently(few days) did it start acting up.

Could it be one of the windows updates?? Such as IE7???

Is it even worth having IE7 installed since I'm using firefox 2.0 ??

And if I delete IE7, Can I also remove all the additional windows so called "security patches for IE" ??
    Last edited by peguero; 12-21-2006 at 01:33 PM.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    IE7 crashed my brand new laptop, I had to do a total install again

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyRVC
    IE7 crashed my brand new laptop, I had to do a total install again
    Ahh you have discovered (rather harshly) that IE7 SUCKS!!!!

Firefox 2.0 all the way- Im mad I didn't convert sooner. the plug ins/add ons for firefox are great as well.

Screw IE7!!!

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!
    Last edited by peguero; 12-21-2006 at 02:17 PM.

h3LIX no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    HEAD
    I have a IBM Z60T Thinkpad. You can use the thinkvantage button on restart, and choose a restore option and only install the items you want... I had the same problem you described when I did exactly what you were doing to your thinkpad. I realized that alot of the software they install on them are interdependent on each other.... you remove one wrong piece, and you began to enjoy the windoze experience more and more..... thus why I am typing on my Macbnook Pro!