I was just about to place my order for a Ubuntu powered Dell Mini 9. ... Stackers' Lounge forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Why Not To Buy Dell

Advertisement

I was just about to place my order for a Ubuntu powered Dell Mini 9. Now I have changed my mind and will never order another DELL....ever.

I came across this article about the new return process which is a total nightmare. An incredibly complex, system which seems to be created for the sole purpose of discouraging returns, or at the least making them very difficult, and extremely time consuming for the customer. The only reasoning I can see behind this change is the flagging profits at Dell as such that, by making returns so difficult, it will discourage many to follow through and actually obtain another unit, or a credit.

Dell Return Story

Nicholaus no está en línea Stack level 3
    Crazy, I had no idea they started doing that.

I just ordered a new xps a couple days ago and was thinking about getting the mini 9 in a couple weeks. I don't know about the mini 9 now, the ubuntu versions first shipped with a partition error so I'll wait a little longer to see if they change how they handle returns.
    Last edited by Nicholaus; 11-04-2008 at 01:08 AM.

Instantz no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've always hated dells, that's why I got for my HP. I love those things.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

somthinsim no está en línea Stack level 3
    Toshiba's are the way to go. never had a problem I could not fix, nor had a problem that the machined created.. hehehehe

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    I got tired of all the miscellaneous crap I was forced to deal with from all the different flavor vendors. I bit the bullet and bought a Macbook Pro earlier this year and I've never been happier. No I'm not an Apple fanboy, I still enjoy M$ products.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

The Premier Laptop is a T-series ThinkPad. I've been using them for years. I also have used PowerBooks & I just bought the glass MacBook Pro.
    I have 2 hard drives in my ThinkPad one XP & one Ubuntu Linux, the best of all worlds. While I really like OSX Leopard, & I must use XP for proprietary apps, I vastly prefer Ubuntu 8.04.1. It's very fast, stable, I just can't say enough good things about it. It outperforms OSX & all the apps are free. The newest version of Firefox is integrated as is OpenOffice which far exceeds MS office. All for free. Spectacular!

~via BB 8310(wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by jrockett View Post
    I bit the bullet and bought a Macbook Pro earlier this year and I've never been happier.
    You made a great choice as MBP's have never been better. If one wants to buy a laptop that just works right out of the box, has a very nice OS, with terrific features, you cannot beat a new MacBook Pro. Great styling and very durable.

Enjoy yours!
    Cheers

GaryF no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I just heard that Dell had substantial staffing cuts today down in Austin. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    I just heard that Dell had substantial staffing cuts today down in Austin. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I know an upper manager at Dell and he says besides the 600 planned cuts there is a chance of about 500 additional. So yes, Dell is in trouble. It's the economy...

brnangl528 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    I've heard of lots of problems with Dell. There are programs loaded on your computer that cannot be deleted?? I dont like not having control over my own computer. I love my HP!
    Love my addiction :)

zyiro no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    302A0AFF
    we order close to 100 desktops and laptops per year from dell and have never ran into a problem like you say. The few times ive had to return something to dell i would call for an RMA. Within the hour i would get the email with the packing slip to print.

i know i most likely have never had an issue because its a govt account. But i have also had to return items as recent as last month using a personal account and did not run into a single issue. No questions asked and i was able to return a brand new desktop because i decided i did not need it.

Dont make assumptions just because 1 person had an issue and decided to exxagerate his story on the internet.

somthinsim no está en línea Stack level 3
    What type of personal items have you had to return. A router or other small peripheral is different than an tower / monitor combo.

Quote Originally Posted by zyiro View Post
    Don't make assumptions just because 1 person had an issue and decided to exxagerate his story on the internet.
    I agree that no one should assume. However that was just one example of a well known problem. After I read that article I personally called Dell to see if the return procedure is the same as it was described in the article. The person I spoke to in the returns department was very courteous & helpful. He confirmed that what I read about the recent changes to their return procedure is correct. When I asked what was involved & how long until a return is completed he was very honest & said that returns take 4 to 6 weeks. It was at that point that I decided that Dell would not get my business.
    I've been using ThinkPads for years. Each year I get a new one. Two yrs ago I got one that was bad right out of the box. I called them, they shipped a replacement overnight & told me to put mine in that same box and return it using the prepaid shipping label included. Very impressive. I only went one day without my laptop. Now that's service.
    sent via BlackBerry

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I too like to be able to delete what I want and not keep the factory crap, which is why i prefer to build!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Yellowfin no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    317F3C36
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ if it isn't a Mac, it doesn't get in our house, period. Been living by that rule for 5 years and never seen reason to do otherwise.