Inc, LLC, Co, Enterprises i see alot of companies in my area and in ads ... Stackers' Lounge forum

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

whats in a name? (business)

Advertisement

Inc, LLC, Co, Enterprises

i see alot of companies in my area and in ads that end their company names this way.
    i understand what they mean and stand for, but is it required to be on the company name and ads and stuff

do they just put it there cause they think it has a nice ring to it, or to add credibility? im not hating, just tryin to gain a better understanding.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Re: whats in a name? (business)

Not sure how much of it is legal requirement. Most of the time its just a way of letting customers know that you are a legitimate enough business that you went out and got incorporated.

Incs are corporations, can be a small (and often are) family owned business, but can also be large, publicly traded companies (RIM for example). LLC is a smaller Corporation setup. It is almost always a family owned business and is required by law to be private (i.e. shares cannot be traded) and there are limits on the total number of shareholders as well as foreign ownership.

Co and Enterprises are just marketing names.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

is there any way to stop someone whos not incorporated from throwing "inc" on their ads or letterheads or signage cause they think it looks cool?

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

You might be able to file a complaint with your state corporation commission or Better Business Bureau, but thats about it. The cops aren't gonna do anything.

Or if you have a friend or a parent of a friend who is an attorney, you could get them to write a letter to the person telling them to stop.

Or, just don't worry about it. Most businesses that use "Inc" just to make it sound better are probably out of business sooner rather than later anyway.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

well, its not anything that was affecting me, just a curiosity, and i figured it would be a break from the same ol same ol threads

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3

I thought LLC meant Limited Liability Coporation and was used to shield owners from lawsuits against the company itself. (But IANAL, so I may be totally off base with that.)
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Quote Originally Posted by applejosh View Post
    I thought LLC meant Limited Liability Coporation and was used to shield owners from lawsuits against the company itself. (But IANAL, so I may be totally off base with that.)
    That is correct. A shareholder in a LLC is limited in liability to the amount of his investment/ownership in the LLC. They are more strictly regulated than regular (aka "C" corporations) and have certain rules about shareholders, business activities, etc. The tax consequences of the LLC are also different than a Corporation. Corporations are separate tax entities, while an LLC is a "pass through" entity, meaning the taxes flow through to the individual shareholder.

That's a very simplified version, but that should give you the idea.

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I must have paid attention in some business class at some point in my life.