If you know anything about this PLEASE let me know I'm going to try and ... Stackers' Lounge forum

ASTMedic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E995D1

Thumbs down Warning to my fellow BB friends (Amazon.com)

Advertisement

If you know anything about this PLEASE let me know I'm going to try and nail these guys. Sounds like they got my info from Amazon:

Over the past few weeks I have been getting phone calls from a unknown phone number in Clearwater Fl (area code 727). I figured it was a telemarketer so I haven't been answering it. I ran it through Google and found out that I was not the only one getting calls from this number. The others (lots of them) said that the person that they spoke with said that they had $500 in free vouchers to send them. They use your full first and last name, address and then try to confirm this info. Then they tell you the routing number from your checking account and need you to "confirm" your acct number. Don't give it to them (ya I know duhh) they don't really have it. If you give it up you may as well kiss your money good bye. From what everybody says the contact info these guys got is from Amazon.com. A large number of us have used it to buy stuff in the past few months.

I answered it and had a little fun with the guy on the other end. He got REALLY nasty and tried to make me feel stupid and give in to his sale pitch. Only on a cold day in hell. Told him to put me on the "do not call" list. So we'll see if it worked.

Just a little info if anybody had to deal with Suntasia Marketing over the past few years I think this is the same "company" that runs a lot of scams. The area code is the same and the script they read from is a spot on match to the one Suntasia has used in the past. You can run them through Google if you want to see the negative comments. (better bring a lunch because there are A LOT)
    Last edited by ASTMedic; 04-26-2007 at 11:28 PM.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Warning to my fellow BB friends (Amazon.com)

WOW! that is good to know, I haven't received anything as of yet thank god

onlindis10 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3019477D

It makes me glad I haven't bought anything from Amazon for a few years.

PIN/ID
    23E995D1

Quote Originally Posted by StevenInSTL
    So now, I just give them my ex wife's phone number...
    Good one........ I feel bad for all the "older" people out there that are still so very trusting and figure that is these people have my full name and address that they MUST be legit.

This is much worse than just a annoying phone call at dinner.

The thing that these A holes are doing is that once they "confirm" your address they ask for the bank you used to "open your account". By having that info they run you through Vericheck (I think thats the name) the same service that stores use to instantly run a check. Now they have your banks routing number and try and fool you by giving you that number and then ask you to "confirm" your account number for security purposes. Now BINGO you just gave them your account number and they already have your routing number. Thats all they need to cash you out.

thisisit2 no está en línea Stack level 1

I started getting these calls from 727 on 4/19/07 and they have called me 11 times one or two and one day three everyday up until today. and i have not given my purchased from amazon.

PIN/ID
    23E995D1

Quote Originally Posted by thisisit2
    I started getting these calls from 727 on 4/19/07 and they have called me 11 times one or two and one day three everyday up until today. and i have not given my purchased from amazon.
    Blockbuster Online?? That is another that some are thinking may be a problem.

Answer it just dont give them any info and tell them to place you on the "do not call" list. I'm working on finding out who they are....give me a little time I've got some things in the works.

capuman no está en línea Stack level 2

Have you been in contact with Amazon to make them aware of this problem? or have you reported this to the authorities??

If these people are getting the info from Amazon, then either they have someone in the inside who is leaking this info or they are veing hacked some how (highly unlikely). Either way someone should inform them..

littlemojo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2509fd64

havent had these calls yet but thanks for the info
    Death is only the beginning

Cracked Out no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Pls!

Wow that sucks! And here I am working my tail off to afford my lifestyle.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Oh WOW...you know I have just recently been getting calls about a Visa that I have qualified for---I never applied for a visa!

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Go here and add your #'s:

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

After I signed up on there a few year ago MOST of the calls stopped, every now and then I get one, but I just tell them to remove my name from thier list and stop calling - and they do!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

TanBucsFan no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

For whoever is getting these calls I'd do a few things.

1. Write down the phone number, the time they called and the person's name.

2. Contact the Pinellas County Sherrif's Office, I'm not sure if they're the ones who will handle this kind of fraud, but if they can't they will tell you who will. The number is (727) 582-6200. If they tell you the Largo Police have to handle it the number is (727) 587-6700. (I live in Largo and know exactly where this company is).

3. Write the company themselves and advise them you are reporting them for fraud and keep a copy of the letter. Their mailing address is:

8751 Ulmerton Road
    Largo, FL 33771

You can also contact the Better Business Buerau I didn't look to see if they are registered with them, but that's another avenue as well. This is a HUGE scam and there's a lot of information about it on the internet. The only way to stop this kind of fraud is to report it and make sure no one else gets scammed by these people. Good luck. If you go to this site http://www.stopjunkcalls.com and put in Suntasia Marketing you'll see there were many others tricked by their scams.

PIN/ID
    23E995D1

Quote Originally Posted by capuman
    Have you been in contact with Amazon to make them aware of this problem? or have you reported this to the authorities??

If these people are getting the info from Amazon, then either they have someone in the inside who is leaking this info or they are veing hacked some how (highly unlikely). Either way someone should inform them..
    Yep sent them a email lastnight and got some lame response saying that all their info is encrypted and yada yada yada.....the problem is that this info is SOLD to other companies by the ones that you did you business with in the first place. It's ONLY your full name, address and phone number they are tricking you into teling them your account number.

Quote Originally Posted by hls811
    I just tell them to remove my name from thier list and stop calling - and they do!
    I did that on Wed when they called and I finally talked to them. After a yelling match I told him to put me on the "do not call" list. He says it takes up to 48hrs so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by TanBucsFan
    For whoever is getting these calls I'd do a few things.
    Yes but only if they are calling you after you have told them not to. They are right on the line of being illegal. People just need to not tell them their info.