Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hope im not posting a thread that is against the rules, but if I am ... Stackers' Lounge forum

deepdish no está en línea Stack level 6

Unions

Advertisement

Hope im not posting a thread that is against the rules, but if I am Cherri and shut'er down.

I got into a discussion with my neighbor this weekend (we were both drunk off out of our mind) regarding unions in the United States. He is a pipefitter for Chrysler and has been in the union for 25 years and says unions are needed for quality workmaship and for the employees to get a good wage.

I, on the other hand, believe that union's promote medocracy (sp) and is putting a strain on American Comapay's.

What are your thoughts?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Re: Unions

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~wow. Holy political grenade thrown into the café, Batman.

its not politics. just want to know your opinions.

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

unions promote nothing but laziness and a sense of entitlement. i hate unions (other than the ones for police, firemen, etc. those are needed).

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ just poking you a little, cubs. It tends to be a polarizing issue.

Being the free market libertarian I am, I am not in favor of them. They have an overall negative economic impact. The structure of the larger organized unions in the U.S. Historically has been very corrupt and more concerned with self preservation more than the benefits of the rank and file.

I point everyone to a book "basic economics" by Thomas Sowell. It should be required reading for every American.

TanBucsFan no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

I agree with you on this one. I think there was a time when Unions were needed, but I don't see the need anymore and I believe they're hurting our economy more because (some) workers feel as though they've got a scapegoat in not having to work hard.

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ just poking you a little, cubs. It tends to be a polarizing issue.

Being the free market libertarian I am, I am not in favor of them. They have an overall negative economic impact. The structure of the larger organized unions in the U.S. Historically has been very corrupt and more concerned with self preservation more than the benefits of the rank and file.

I point everyone to a book "basic economics" by Thomas Sowell. It should be required reading for every American.
    I will definately check out the book.

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I guess the simplest analogy I can draw that would still be relevant for most people is the auto industry. The US automakers are still fully unionized, with the exception of some parts of Saturn. This industry is bleeding cash because they cannot make a profit on a car if it sells for less than $22k. This is largely due to the huge cost of labor they are still forced to deal with.

We can discuss how disconnected the management has been from t marketplace in a different thread. The bottom line is these cars are expensive relative to their competition, less efficient, far less reliable. At least 2 of those issues are labor related.

Every foreign automaker that sells cars in north America manufactures them in the united states and has been for years. All with non union labor. High quality American made cars. We just call them hondas now. Or tototas.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I guess the simplest analogy I can draw that would still be relevant for most people is the auto industry. The US automakers are still fully unionized, with the exception of some parts of Saturn. This industry is bleeding cash because they cannot make a profit on a car if it sells for less than $22k. This is largely due to the huge cost of labor they are still forced to deal with.

We can discuss how disconnected the management has been from t marketplace in a different thread. The bottom line is these cars are expensive relative to their competition, less efficient, far less reliable. At least 2 of those issues are labor related.

Every foreign automaker that sells cars in north America manufactures them in the united states and has been for years. All with non union labor. High quality American made cars. We just call them hondas now. Or tototas.
    Not only that, but the big 3 are paying more in retirement benefits than they are on payroll.

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

This reminds me of another topic I'd love to approach in here, but not sure if it would get shut down.

It's the American worker and the fact that immigrants tend to have a much stronger work ethic than many Americans do.

I would really like to see some pro union comments as well. Any one pro union?

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't know if I agree completely on that one, tan. Yes, there are people in the workforce that have a poor work ethic. That happens everywhere, however. We perceive immigrants as having better work ethic because they take jobs that most of us wouldn't. Its all perception. For us, its a menial job for far too little a wage for us to want it. For them. Its far higher wage than in their homeland in most cases.

The average person with any reasonable level of education is a solid worker. If that were not the case, no foreign manufacturer would ever dare out a facility here. A lot of companies are now finding that its cheaper to manufacture here now. And the quality is higher.

Our media just never reports that part because its not bad news they can sensationalize.

Quote Originally Posted by TanBucsFan
    I agree with you on this one. I think there was a time when Unions were needed, but I don't see the need anymore and I believe they're hurting our economy more because (some) workers feel as though they've got a scapegoat in not having to work hard.
    I agree. In the 20's and 30's there were not enough jobs for everyone, so people had to work in the factories and basically get treated like poop. Now with job market so competitive, I feel that if you aren't a quailty worker, it effects the company's bottom line and they will find a quality worker to replace you and pay them to stay.

ps tan, i like the new avatar.

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't know if I agree completely on that one, tan. Yes, there are people in the workforce that have a poor work ethic. That happens everywhere, however. We perceive immigrants as having better work ethic because they take jobs that most of us wouldn't. Its all perception. For us, its a menial job for far too little a wage for us to want it. For them. Its far higher wage than in their homeland in most cases.

The average person with any reasonable level of education is a solid worker. If that were not the case, no foreign manufacturer would ever dare out a facility here. A lot of companies are now finding that its cheaper to manufacture here now. And the quality is higher.

Our media just never reports that part because its not bad news they can sensationalize.
    What I know I've seen first hand and that's what I base my opinion on. I worked for a very large electronics manufacturer, Jabil Circuit. They have large assembly lines which are staffed by mostly immigrant workers. The lines which were in our military area could only be staffed by American born citizens. Over all the assembly lines Jabil had, the lines handled by immigrant workers had product that has less problems due to accuracy of the work, had less instances of employees calling out sick to work, being late or leaving work early.

Now I work for a man who owns (currently) 20 Subway franchises. Many of the stores are both managed by and staffed by Latino workers who were not born in this country. Again they tend to show up to work everyday, they work hard, they don't call out sick as much and when managers need someone last minute normally its the Latino workers who will do so. Many of the American born workers have attitude problems, feel as though they're above cleaning the resturant and quit on the drop of a dime.

The problem in my opinion is we Americans are spoiled and we think we're above picking fruits/veggies, cleaning floors, even assembling products. Kids graduate from high school expecting to go to college and come out making 40k a year or more. Those that don't go to college seem to think they're above manual labor. Until our culture snaps out of that attitude we will continue to need not only immigrant workers, but illegal workers (especially in the areas where most of our agriculture is coming from). Our problem is our own, it's not the fault of immigrant workers that they appreciate the money they're bringing home, while many of our kids think they're too good to sweep the floor. We're raising a bunch of spoiled brats without a solid work ethic, of course that's not ALL parents, or all children but the workforce is full of them.

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by cubfan1247

ps tan, i like the new avatar.
    Thanks Josh!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast