I was just recently introduced to ubuntu 9.04 live cd and i gotta say i ... Stackers' Lounge forum

Ash07 no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Ubuntu ....vista ?.. help me out

Advertisement

I was just recently introduced to ubuntu 9.04 live cd and i gotta say i love it..my windows vista is so slow and messed up it takes me forever to do basic things on it which just fustrates me..Sadly i pop in this ubutu live cd everytime i use my pc so i can surf the web faster and the more i use it the more i want to boot ubuntu fully into my pc erasing vista so my computer would be fast again...

running vista on 512 mb ram and 160gb hard drive isnt all that fun ...

so i just want to hear from you guys is ubuntu really that worth it ?
    i' m a college student so i have to write alot of essays and keep all my files compatable from campus and home...will booting ubuntu fully on my pc cause a problem (my comp wont let me dual boot ubuntu , i tried alot it keeps saying "bad sector" or something like that)

TheHawtieCurve no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2173AC2A
    I'm a Ubuntu user and love it. I run a dual boot between ubuntu 9.04 and xp pro. I've been running Ubuntu for some time and love it! It does take some getting used to at first but once you get past the intial learning curve it's a joy. Very customizable o/s that can look as good as vista or OSX and run just as well or better. Compiz and cairo-dock and great grapical applications that let you customize your desktop very nicely, you've probably seen the cube and know what I'm talking about. When you try to install 9.04 you should get the option to manually partition, I'd do that and divide your hard drive as you see fit between vista and ubuntu. If that doesn't help you should be able to use vista to partition.. Go to admin tools, computer management, disk management.. Right click your windows partition and shrink it then create a new partition for ubunto to utilize. I woulkd highly recommend that you set up a dual boot if at all possible, unbuntu is great, wonderful applications that match and often outshine their windows counterparts, however there are some things that only work on windows period and although I use ubuntu as my main o/s I still run windows at least once or twice a week, for instance blackberry desktop manager isn't available for linux. Some windows applications can be run through a program called Wine in Ubuntu but I haven't tried to configure any with the dual boot it's convienent to boot up windows when neccesary. Hope this helps, sorry it was long winded, just a big linux fan. This is just my advice given my experiences with windows/linux, hope it helps.. Good luck.
    BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

TheHawtieCurve no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2173AC2A
    Here's a link that should be able to help you with installing Ubuntu https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Beginners/FAQ. Forgot to mention but Ubuntu would be good for a student, comes preinstalled with openoffice which is compatible with Microsoft Office. I use openoffice on my laptop and M-office at work and never had an issue. Also wanted to mention that Ubuntu will run quick for you, it's not a RAM hog like windows and 512 is more than sufficient.
    BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107