Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HOPE YOU ALL ARE STAYING SAFE !!!!! Heard about the earthquake, and the hurrican heading ... Stackers' Lounge forum

USArmyWife no está en línea Stack level 3

Those on the big island of hawaii

Advertisement

HOPE YOU ALL ARE STAYING SAFE !!!!! Heard about the earthquake, and the hurrican heading towards ya. WHO PISSED OFF MOTHER NATURE ??? Everyone on oahu is going nuts preparing for the hurricane, an old lady ran me over with her shopping cart trying to get water at walmart tonight. I think im the only one not prepared or preparing.... if ya'll dont hear from me i got washed away !!!!!
    I'm a Pirate Ninja !

PIN: 24082565

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Re: Those on the big island of hawaii

That would be me
    I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and we are on alert. All schools are officially closed
    and Civil Defense has us on Emergency Alert.
    It is supposed to get really nasty with winds up to 100mph. Put your thoughts together for
    us here guys, thanks.
    Lets hope Lava will still be swingin around real soon.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Natox no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207E4A

Godspeed Those on the big island of hawaii be safe please !!!!

rabbie303 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

be safe you all and will be in prayers...
    ~Erich~
    ---60% of the time it works every time--

TanBucsFan no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Everyone be safe over there, make sure you take the warnings to stock up seriously because it doesn't take even 100mph winds to damage power lines.

Ya'll will be in my thoughts and prayers!

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

Since Hawaii hasn't seen a hurricane since 1992, I thought I'd post up some info on what you need to stock up on. I've been through more than my fair share of hurricanes (I think the count is 4 now, not including the 10-20 tropical storms and depressions that I've been through as well). Honestly I've always had a kind of eh attitude about hurricanes because I've been through it so many times where the media says omg its coming, it's gonna hit Tampa and then it takes a little bump and slams Punta Gorda instead (hurricane charley). Hurricane Katrina made me wake up and realize that I needed to take hurricanes more seriuosly....what bothered me the most was the children that had no formula or milk or juice.

So a basic supply list for what you absolutely should have in your home/possession:
    • Flashlights and extra bulbs
    • Battery-operated radio
    • Fully charged battery-operated lanterns. Don't get candles and kerosene lanterns. They are fire hazards.
    • Extra batteries
    • Matches
    • Clock (wind-up or battery-operated)
    • Plastic garbage bags
    • Working fire extinguishers
    • Scissors
    • Clean change of clothes, rain gear, sturdy swamp boots
    • An inexpensive rabbit-ears television antenna to use if cable goes out
    This is a list of food and beverages you should have on hand:

• Bottled water. Figure on a gallon of drinking water per person per day.
    • Shelf-package juice and milk boxes
    • Canned and powdered milk
    • Beverages (powdered or canned, fruit juices, instant coffee, tea)
    • Prepared foods (canned soups, beef, spaghetti, tuna, chicken, ham, corned beef hash, fruit cocktail, packaged pudding)
    • Canned vegetables and fruits
    • Dried fruits
    • Snacks (crackers, cookies, hard candy, nuts)
    • Snack spreads (peanut butter, cheese spreads, jelly)
    • Cereals
    • Raw vegetables
    • Sugar, salt, pepper
    • Bread
    • Dry and canned pet food
    • Right now, buy all the nonperishable foods you will need, put them in a box and leave them alone, except to rotate stock. Stock up on ice and pack coolers as early as possible. Freezing them ahead of time is less hassle than fighting for them at a store.
    • Before the storm, turn your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting and drape blankets over them, but keep bottom vents clear. Then move perishables you'll use first into ice chests to limit opening of refrigerators.
    • Designate one cooler you will open regularly; fill that with drinks and less perishable items. Set aside other coolers for more perishable things such as meats and open them only rarely.
    • Crank up your ice maker, break out the ice cube trays or fill jugs with water, so you can be making and storing ice in your freezer or coolers around the clock.
    • Store cubes or small blocks of ice in sealed bags and containers so you can drink it after it melts.
    • Clean your bathtub out, then wash it with bleach. Rinse thoroughly. If possible, line it with plastic. Then fill it and as many clean bottles as you can with drinking water. Fill your toilet tank; you'll want it to flush after the storm.
    There are several other "lists" on this link for what you should stock up on if you have a baby, pets and also what to do with the items in your house and outside your house (remember anything left outside can and will become a projectile item).

For more lists go here:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/14/2004/4/1/29.html
    Last edited by TanBucsFan; 08-14-2007 at 09:38 AM.

jbjackson3004 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EEF24E

I went thru Hurricane Katrina... I've been going thru Hurricanes my entire life. No longer do I feel its just another storm... Please take care of yourselves... and others who take care of themselves. My prayers are with you all.

jgirly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Lava and USArmyWife...My thoughts and prayers are with you both...Although I am in Vegas, don't mean I don't feel anything 'bout whats going on with the islands...Once an island girl always an island girl...

USArmyWife...During this kind of time, you'd be amazed how peeps can turn nasty for a bottle of water!

Lava...You know you are gonna keep swingin' girl!

Big Hugz to you both and your family and my family back home too!
    --------------------------------------------------------
    - j a n e l l
    Theirs more to life than cell phones...Theirs BLACKBERRY's

PDUB204 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~be safe we will be praying for you. Otterbox the bb's

GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

my family is on Kuai right now...
    Cingular is now the new at&t

jedd206 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404E130

My favorite nieces are on the big island as I type.....praying for any and all in Hawaii....Totally off topic, but armywife, if you get a chance could you say thank you to your husband for me for all he and other GI's are doing for our freedom...

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

Looks like according to CNN Flossie was down rated and did no significant damage while passing Hawaii big island.

I hope you are all safe and well

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Thanks to you all for your thoughts and prayers and Tan for that amazing list I'm going to print it out and save it, very useful. Hope I won't ever need it again.
    Thankfully, yes it passed without any significant damage other than very high surf, high winds and very heavy rain on the East and South side of the island, but other than that it was ok. Many people pulled together and didn't panic despite stores being a bit crazy and shelves being emptied out. Many businesses were closed today and all schools were closed as a precaution. All in all, we are safe now and can rest easy.
    So back to rope swingin...many thanks again gang.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

You're very welcome Lava! So glad to read this morning that Flossie was downgraded!! Good news!!

Now ya'll need to hope the same thing for Tropical Storm Dean out in the Atlantic, which it still remains to be seen where he'll go but he's taking the familiar path up to the Gulf Coast...we shall see.

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

i bet $ there's some nuts out there trying to ride the waves this storm is creating!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast