Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok guys, first off I've been thinking about joining the Army. I'm not planning on ... Stackers' Lounge forum

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D

Thinking about joing the Army! NEED ADVICE!!!

Advertisement

Ok guys, first off I've been thinking about joining the Army. I'm not planning on doing any combat jobs. Just regular jobs, but for the Army. I know I have to go through the training and all that before I serve the full 4 years. I have a few reasons why I want to join the Army.*

1. Really hard to find a regular job these days.
    2. Not a big fan of college!!!
    3. Even after college, I'm not garanteed to have a good job. Now a days it's who you know and not what you know.
    4. My main goal is to have a career and I think the Army can fulfil that from what I've read and told.
    5. I want to be my own man! Do things on my own and I think it's time to do something new. I'm 22 and I'm not going anywhere, still live at home!*

I made this thread to hear what the stackers that are currently serving or/and retired have to say.*

What I want to know:*

1. What made you sign up?
    2. How was your traning?
    3. How do they treat you?
    4. Do they live up to what they say while you serve and after your 4 years?*

Basically anything that can help me make my final decision. Either to not join or to join. I know at the end it's entirely up to me, but I think you guys will be a good help.*

BTW - Any other stackers here who have families and friends in the Army. You can post your 2 cent on what you think and what they have told you about it as well.*

Thanks for reading!
    T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 & I'm not coming back! :D

--HeavyC.

PIN/ID
    I forgot to mention, I will be going to an Army Center real soon.

--HeavyC.

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    OK, so firt things first. I have never served or enlisted. but i DID think about it twice.

My cousin is serving for the US Army.

If you dont mind my asking, what made you decide on the Army, why not Marines,Air Force or Navy?

Like i said my cousin is in the army, i thought about joining and he said "go to airforce". Even though the pay scales are even across the board, everyone makes it seem as though the Air Force gets treated better. A couple of people mentioned barracks or living arrangements are much nicer.

However, because of the reputation the airforce has of being the "easiest" branch, they are also the least "desperate" so where the army or marines will offer extra incentives for signing up, the airforce more than likely will not (unless of course youre an EXCEPTIONAL candidate and they just cant go on without you)

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    The way things are going, regardless of what the recruiter tells you, there is no such thing as a Regular Army Job that will keep you from being called to duty/war. And America has joined a war that has been going on since Issac and Jacob, no sign of a cease fire.

The Army today is nothing like the Army I joined when I was much younger, there was no war, some of the benefits were okay, I Luv being an "American" - but I would not recommend Military Duty to anyone.

TNgal22 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    My two cents - Do it because you want to serve your country not to find an "easy" way out of finding a job.

My husband is in the Army National Guard and like DjSmooth said, there is no job to keep you from deploying. It is used to be the National Guard stayed here to protect, thus NATIONAL but now, the country needs everyone to help. This is his second tour in the Operation Iraqi Freedom!

Military life is hard, no matter what branch you serve in. I also believe Military life has to be what is in your heart not your head. My hubby joined at 17 and has now made a career of it. It is hard and at times he wants to quit, but in the end, he knows this is what he was meant to do!
    Support our Troops!!

Mom to Ashlee

PIN/ID
    A friend of mine went to the Army Center and he was talking to a SGT. He asked my friend what he wants to do and my friend picked out something about business management. The SGT. explained to him what he picked out has nothing to do with combat at all. He will be in an office. ALWAYS be in a office, but the bad thing is where the office would be. My friend is trying to stay in NY, but the SGT. said he will put him down for NY. It wont be NYC, it will be somewhere upstate NY. He also said they might need him overseas and if they do he has to go. 90% of the chance for what he picked they wont need him to go overseas. If they do then it would be for a short period of time for like a year.

--HeavyC.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    It doesn't matter rather it is combat or not. If they need an accountant over there, and I am in the military, then I could be called up to serve overseas. The people in combat need support and that means the ones sitting in an office.

FYI, hubby is in a Combat Support unit. He might sit in an office but he has to sit in one in Iraq! Just keep that in mind!
    Support our Troops!!

Mom to Ashlee

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by TNgal22 View Post
    My two cents - Do it because you want to serve your country not to find an "easy" way out of finding a job.
    To tell you the truth that's the whole reason! To serve my country? This isn't even my country.

--HeavyC.

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by TNgal22 View Post
    It doesn't matter rather it is combat or not. If they need an accountant over there, and I am in the military, then I could be called up to serve overseas. The people in combat need support and that means the ones sitting in an office.

FYI, hubby is in a Combat Support unit. He might sit in an office but he has to sit in one in Iraq! Just keep that in mind!
    I don't mind going overseas to do my work! I just want to be far away from combat as possible. I just want to do what I picked out to do, nothing more!

--HeavyC.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Ok, I think it is great that you want to join! I just don't want you to join under the wrong assumptions!

You will do what you have a MOS for, basically what you are trained for! If you are not trained to, say drive a fuel truck, then you won't be driving a fuel truck. You will do only what you are trained and prepared for. Just remember that when you start taking classes and trainings.
    Support our Troops!!

Mom to Ashlee

PIN/ID
    So basically if they start traning me for something I haven't signed up for then something is wrong.

--HeavyC.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyComponent View Post
    To tell you the truth that's the whole reason! To serve my country? This isn't even my country.
    I know a lot of folks Born here, and or Worked Here, paid taxes here and still say this is not their Country, so than - If you are a Citizen of this Country, than it is your Country...

PIN/ID
    I wasn't born herr.

---
    T-Mobile Curve 8320 - 4.5.0.69 OS Beta!
    [heavycomponent@tmo.blackberry.net]

--HeavyC.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyComponent View Post
    So basically if they start traning me for something I haven't signed up for then something is wrong.

As a Soldier of the USA, the very first thing you do is go to Basic Training, and that makes you've trained for War time if needed. Joining any branch of the Armed Service is just that, You are a Soldier First, and what are Soldiers for. Don't get it twisted, the Service is not a Sleepaway Camp, livin Campus or Schooling Abroad. You join the Service to be ready if and or when your Commander in Chief "The President" calls you to duty.
    Last edited by DjSmooth; 08-15-2008 at 03:54 PM.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    There are classes that you must take for your job. I am not real sure how they pick the training/classes but I would think if you were going to be the "accountant", for example, you would not need a class for truck driving.

I believe there is a list of what you must take in order to keep your job and move up in rank.
    Support our Troops!!

Mom to Ashlee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast