Whether tragic events touch your family personally or are brought into your home via newspapers ... Stackers' Lounge forum

John Atkins no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    USA

Post There are many ways you can help Children’s.

Advertisement

Whether tragic events touch your family personally or are brought into your home via newspapers and television, you can help children cope with the anxiety that violence, death, and disasters can cause.

Listening and talking to children about their concerns can reassure them that they will be safe. Start by encouraging them to discuss how they have been affected by what is happening around them. Even young children may have specific questions about tragedies. Children react to stress at their own developmental level.

The Caring for Every Child's Mental Health Campaign offers these pointers for parents and other caregivers:

* Encourage children to ask questions. Listen to what they say. Provide comfort and assurance that address their specific fears. It's okay to admit you can't answer all of their questions.
    * Talk on their level. Communicate with your children in a way they can understand. Don't get too technical or complicated.
    * Find out what frightens them. Encourage your children to talk about fears they may have. They may worry that someone will harm them at school or that someone will try to hurt you.
    * Focus on the positive. Reinforce the fact that most people are kind and caring. Remind your child of the heroic actions taken by ordinary people to help victims of tragedy.
    * Pay attention. Your children's play and drawings may give you a glimpse into their questions or concerns. Ask them to tell you what is going on in the game or the picture. It's an opportunity to clarify any misconceptions, answer questions, and give reassurance.
    * Develop a plan. Establish a family emergency plan for the future, such as a meeting place where everyone should gather if something unexpected happens in your family or neighborhood. It can help you and your children feel safer.

If you are concerned about your child's reaction to stress or trauma, call your physician or a community mental health center.

almaft no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23d118f1

Re: There are many ways you can help Children’s.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ok?

saa001 no está en línea Stack level 2

Did I miss something about blackberrys in this post?

Yellowfin no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    317F3C36

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ short version: be a good parent. It's sad that it requires a public service announcement, but apparently it does. I guess I'm glad someone puts it forth. I hope anyone to whom it is applicable will take something good from it.

...I'm this supportive because they didn't ask for money or post spam. It's refreshing to are genuine concern for a change.

JRawlinson no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E5E9D1

As a parent of a two young girls, I can appreciate looking out for the ones who can't look out for themselves. But this is the wrong forum for such a post. He should have taken it to one of the off-topic forums provided for that express purpose. Very few people want to wade through social (albeit well-meaning) garbage posts when they are looking for BB info.

Just my 0.02.

MR. H no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    301a4489

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i am a parent of one and one coming. I agree with Yellowfin in that there was no money involved, just away to make people aware of what's going on yeah it should have been in a different part of this forum, but I bet most of you berry users have kids, so just take this and apply it if need be

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Quote Originally Posted by JRawlinson
    As a parent of a two young girls, I can appreciate looking out for the ones who can't look out for themselves. But this is the wrong forum for such a post. He should have taken it to one of the off-topic forums provided for that express purpose. Very few people want to wade through social (albeit well-meaning) garbage posts when they are looking for BB info.

Just my 0.02.
    this IS the off-topic portion of this forum: Crackberry Cafe Off topic place for Stackers to relax & get better aquainted.

thanks for the post! as a parent of a 12 yo and 9 yo, i relate whole-heartedly to your post.

DrWoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D11279

As a father to 3 wonderful girls.... (5, 19 months, 2 months), I couldn't agree more... too bad not everyone agree with that.......

Dr. Woo