..cellphone,--- what was it, when did you get it, and why. My story, should you ... Stackers' Lounge forum

twieder no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E83629

Tell me about your first....

Advertisement

..cellphone,--- what was it, when did you get it, and why.

My story, should you choose to believe it.
    1994, my (not-yet) wife was driving back to her family's home, when a crazed motorcyclist pulls up next to her, threatens here, and follows here 20 miles until she pulls into a police parking lot.
    At that same time, the son of a friend has announced a 'party' to introduce a new communication device, the GTE Tele-Go phone.
    Never heard of it? It was a simple cellular phone (no display of any kind, had to press the 'on' button to get a dial tone before dialing, etc...) sold by independent contractors, a-la Avon, that could ::gasp:: act as a home cordless phone when it was in range of it's base station.
    Cool idea, but $19/mo + $.25/min made it too expensive for anything but emergencies. Still, it was a phone, it did fit in a pocket, and you could make a call (usually) if you needed to.

[edit] I did some checking, and it seems that it did have a display. Bad memory...

[/edit]
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    What's yours?
    Last edited by twieder; 02-01-2007 at 12:29 PM.

VanillaEps no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A2F5CD

Re: Tell me about your first....

This is a fun thread.

First cell phone was an Ericsson phone from AT&T. Candy bar style. Picked it up from a kiosk in the mall.

It looked a lot like this.

I got it my junior year in college, so it was in 2000. Until that time, I was anti-cell for the longest. Didn't have a need for one. In addition, I felt like it was something that affluent individuals had because I was convinced that cell phone plans were VERY expensive. My sister picked one up at the same kiosk about a month before I did. Her new little toy had me jealous and curious. She told me that it wasn't as expensive as I thought and that the plans are manageable.

I couldn't afford a national plan so I subscribed to a regional plan that did not include the area in which I went to school. So I hardly ever used it. It stayed in my desk drawer for months before I even got the courage to make a roaming call. I would periodically check to see if they had added Albany in their regional plan.

Long story short. I jumped onto Sprint from there because they covered Albany. From Sprint I jumped to VZW. From VZW I ported to Cingular. The rest is history.

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Cool Thread, was just talking about this with some friends recently cracking on the old BRICK moto flip phones.

My first was an Ericsson (forgot the model #) came out on OMNIPOINT- got it in February 1997. Day after I got a full time job with Benefits. I was still in college working my way thru school and always out and about. Got the phone to stay connected to family. I recall it being a small, heavy phone.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Yup, believe it or not, this baby was state of the art in 1992. Motorola bag phone. I will say this baby cranked out 3 watts and got a very good signal. Good sound - Yes, Portable - No

BTW, great thread!

icegrill no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2415259c

wow nostalgic ; my first was in 1996 ; a grey block of a phone from Houston cellular. 9 bucks a month for like 30 mins of talk time, 45 cents a min afterwards; it was cool for emergency purposes. The battery charge lasted for about a day. good times
    holla atcha boy

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

hmmm...i've burned to many brain cells to remember the model of my first phone, but it was in 1995, shortly after the birth of my first child. i was paranoid that the daycare (when i went back to work) would need to get hold of me in an emergency and so...the rest is history. i'm pretty sure it looked just like the one vanilla had ^^ and if you talked for over a few minutes, my ear would start to sweat because the phone got so hot!

Larry - my dad had one of those bag phones! the funniest stuff ever! my dad was a radio-shack FREAK! our first PC (another thread topic) came from radio shack too!

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

My story is boring and unimpressive heh. My first phone was in 2003, from Telus ...CDMA crap!

Canceled my contract after a year, aweful reception and the battery would get very hot after a few minutes.

I was cellphoneless until December 2006 when i was employed by Rogers Canada. I was given a Nokia 2610 ..threw it away a month later and got a BB Pearl

Yellowfin no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    317F3C36

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't remember exactly which was my first phone, but I know I had a Startac, then something Kyocera, then a Nokia 3989i all with Alltel, then a Nextel i530, then Motorola v710, LG 4650, Motorola e815, now BB 7130e with verizon.