I am looking for sub $1000 laptop to take with me to school, lunch at ... Stackers' Lounge forum

dr_devious no está en línea Themes Pro

Stackers cheaper laptop advice

Advertisement

I am looking for sub $1000 laptop to take with me to school, lunch at work, and travel with...

Uses:
    Adobe CS3
    Plazmic
    Web
    Email
    Music/Movies
    Not really any gaming

I have narrowed them down to these three:

Sony FW140E
    16.4 inch
    Centrino 2 P8400 2.26G
    Intel X4100HD
    3GB RAM
    $799

HP DV4-1125nr
    14.1 inch
    Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0G
    Intel X4100HD
    4GB RAM
    $649

Lenovo Y430
    14.1 inch
    Core 2 Duo T5800
    Intel X4100HD
    3GB RAM
    $729

Stackers help me decide
    Last edited by dr_devious; 11-10-2008 at 02:56 PM.
    BlackBerry Themes:
    From your PC: www.socksinsideout.com
    From you BB: mobile.socksinsideout.com

Questions:
    Email me: sales@socksinsideout.com

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Dr, In addition to stackers opinions, you might try to look them up on CNET. They have ratings/review that are easy to look up (just type the unit in at the top of their page) and as fair as any, I think. I would take all reviews with a "grain of salt" but all info is info - good luck in your decision.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

volscian no está en línea Stack level 5
    From previous experience Sony is great with console systems and monitors, but lousy with computers. I have an hp laptop myself, and it works great. 17" wide screen, full keyboard, runs everything I need. As for the last one, can't say much as I've never heard of it. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by volscian View Post
    From previous experience Sony is great with console systems and monitors, but lousy with computers. I have an hp laptop myself, and it works great. 17" wide screen, full keyboard, runs everything I need. As for the last one, can't say much as I've never heard of it. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    IBM sold their laptop lines to Lenovo....Ideapads and Thinkpads. I am somewhat concerned about the hinges on the Sony, but the design and the keyboard are the best of the three.
    BlackBerry Themes:

Questions:

Just to add general remarks, I now own and use daily, a Lenovo T61 Thinkpad (the very best keyboard in the industry IMO) and an older Sony SZ-120 PM, also has been a good unit. Now familiar with the three models you mentioned specifically - I think they're all pretty good but on the CNET I mentioned earlier they rate by both CNET and the consumer. I think that's helpful. (My pet peeve on all laptops is their expensive batteries that last about a year and that's that!)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by dr_devious View Post
    IBM sold their laptop lines to Lenovo....Ideapads and Thinkpads. I am somewhat concerned about the hinges on the Sony, but the design and the keyboard are the best of the three.
    Thanks for the info on levono, I haven't owned an IBM since 92 when we got a ps/1, and back then of course it was great. Never cared much for the think pads, though they always seemed quite popular. As for Sony, I had a laptop that went out in under 6 months, got a replacement that went out 3 months later. So they sent me a desktop instead. Had problems with that about 5 months later, but the monitor was great and I still use that. Not saying they haven't gotten better, I used to hate hp desktops but my laptop is wonderful.

Just on the other side of the Sony coin, I'm pushing two years with the SZ-120 and goin' strong. I decided to keep it instead of give it away because I wanted a Linux test p-c and you don't get that much when you sell any of them anyway. I still use XP on both, Linux bootup avail on one, so can't speak to the VISTA issue and hope I never have to. There are TOO many choices out there - I don't envy you having to make the choice Dr. but I sure do like your themes!

Yeah, as for vista, that was a mistake, and I downgraded (or upgraded depending on how you look at it) back to xp. Much more stable, much more compatible with my games and software, and it runs better. You don't want to grab a laptop wit 1gb or ram and run an os that the basic version has a minimum requirement of 1gb. I know some people like it, but run basic on a computer with 4gb of ram and you'll have no problem, otherwise don't do it.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Part of the reason I bought the Lenovo T61 a few months ago instead of another model was this it was one of the ones that CAME with XP.

Nice, that's a bit harder to find now days.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Yeah I would not buy anything that did not have XP, but Sony computers have help up well for me too!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Each of those choice have some draw backs...

1. The Sony has the hinge issue
    2. The HP has some keyboard flex
    3. The Lenovo is difficult to find at retail locations

I don't know
    BlackBerry Themes:

Questions: