Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In NYC on 92.3 Free FM- JV and ELVIS radio personalities relatively new to the ... Stackers' Lounge forum

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Radio Jocks SUSPENDED for RACIAL COMMENTS-

Advertisement

In NYC on 92.3 Free FM- JV and ELVIS radio personalities relatively new to the NYC airwaves were suspended indefinetly for making what is being called a racially insensitive prank phone call to a Chinese Take out spot.

Not sure if you heard about it, however if you haven't please look it up on youtube and such- not sure how much I can post up here.

I am curious to hear what you think on the subject. People here have been, for the most part insightful and can express themselves intelligently and I appreciate that. So don't be shy about commenting. Agree or disagree just be respectful and share.

Was it comedy, was it a racial attack? Is their firing justified?

Please read up and comment:

(actual prank) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETdcYLn88So

(news show feedback) http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Lw9rKIg-5U

(additional info) http://www.thedoghousearmy.com/

PIN/ID
    23EB47F3

Re: Radio Jocks SUSPENDED for RACIAL COMMENTS-

I think it was either Howard or Bubba playing this so called radio bit on there show last week. For starters it was the farthest thing from funny. Secondly the goverment needs to worry about this jacked up war we are in....Not someone making di ck and poop jokes or calling some Chinesse restaurant. Thats why I dont even listien to regular radio anymore. In my car or house its Sirius or the ipod.
    Last edited by Mamatried; 05-07-2007 at 09:09 PM.

HeyMrRadio no está en línea Themes Pro

Funny? Not exactly, but for some I can see the entertainment value. Racially insensitive? No. The problem with race jokes start when they are not funny. Comedians do it all the time and given the recent firing of my radio counterpart Don Imus, jocks can't be free to do what they want anymore.

As I stated on another forum, people complaining about radio bits being racially insensitive, are the bigger problem because they are too sensitive. There was no harm in this piece of audio. Had they jocks been Asian, it wouldnt have been a huge deal.

Where are you Michelle? LOL
    Last edited by HeyMrRadio; 05-07-2007 at 04:23 PM.

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

omg no i love them and O&A. my mornings are ruined.
    Last edited by kentrg; 05-07-2007 at 04:19 PM.

PIN/ID

My opinions-

1. I think Station went too far in firing them, I am a DOGHOUSE fan

2. What does this say about any other insulting material? Personally Im insulted whenever I hear Bush say we can WIN this war.

3. Following this trend, when will they start going thru the library's and taking out "offensive" books?? Or telling us what clothes are too offensive to wear?
    (Why can Paris Hilton be labeled as offensive- lol)

4. I follow the typical confrontational comedians- Chris Rock, George Garlin, etc and thru their humor you do gain insight and do learn about tolerance. But I guess that is lost because as "HeyMrRadio" alluded to previously- super sensitive people are doing the best to stop us from talking about the real issues.

I wish we can get 100K callers to call up their station in NYC and yell - TUNE OUT!!! the same way callers we encouraged to say DOG HOUSE- lol

michelle3 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMrRadio
    Funny? Not exactly, but for some I can see the entertainment value. Racially insensitive? No. The problem with race jokes start when they are not funny. Comedians do it all the time and given the recent firing of my radio counterpart Don Imus, jocks can't be free to do what they want anymore.

As I stated on another forum, people complaining about radio bits being racially insensitive, are the bigger problem because they are too sensitive. There was no harm in this piece of audio. Had they jocks been Asian, it wouldnt have been a huge deal.

Where are you Michelle? LOL
    LOL here i am!

As a radio jock myself, let me tell you these kind of bits have been going on forever.

MrRadio is right, there isnt much we can do now a days, of course, when you crack that mic you are in control and unless someone comes busting in that studio door you can say as you please. If you remember 'Inetta 'the Moodsetta'. Legendary.

But really, the suspensions will come and go, I can understand if some people were offended by this, i work in country radio and our listeners are pretty conservative so I have to be careful of any word I say or i'll get a chewing.

People are just easily offended and take stuff far to serious. You have the power to turn the radio off or change stations. There are plenty to choose from. I've been yelled at, cussed at for not playing the dixie chics. Sometimes you dont have control... but the listener has the power to choose. Make and destroy radio personalities.

If you're offended, turn it off.

PIN/ID

Does anyone else have that creeping feeling that this is just another step in the abuse of civil liberties?

Next up tv, then books, then we will be told what to wear and have a national curfew. Am I being paranoid or I am doing a solid impression of Nostradamus?

Inetta the Moodsetta went out with a bang didn't she?! Hey Peg, great Nostradamus by the way.

TanBucsFan no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

As a long time listener of Bubba the Love Sponge on his original airwaves (the ones he got canned from), I think the FCC has been going overboard for quite sometime.

A joke is a joke, a funny bit, is a funny bit. Bubba got fired over bulls*it and it started a downward spiral in the curtailing of what is acceptable in morning talk radio.

Steve Harvey's morning show replacing our local dj (The Olivia Fox Morning Show), who had great ratings is another show of how radio is nothing but corporate hogs lining their pockets. They don't care about what the average listener wants, they care only about money and making more of it. So Olivia Fox got canned and Steve Harvey's syndicated show replaced hers. Steve is pretty funny, but he doesn't touch on the local issues we're having here and no syndicated show will.

Raido aint what it used to be and it's only going to get worse. People need to quit being so damn PC and take a joke for what it is. And the corporate hogs need to listen to what the people want and not just line their pockets.

PIN/ID

Im going to put on my "F*** YOU, U F***'in F***" t-shirt and go shopping in WHOLE FOODS and avoid all the sponsor driven crap.

Boycott all the BS'ers.

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Its a joke...
    What happened to the old saying "If you don't like what you're listening to, turn the dial"... I know theres exceptions and obviously some guidelines need to be (and are) in place, but its getting rediculious. Just let them do thier thing... If someones offended, sorry - change the channel. If enough people change the channel, then *poof* the DJ's go away. I've heard more offensive stuff come out of the mouths of these protestors and activists than I do the people they are protesting against! Its sad.

And, as a huge O&A Fan, I'm so glad I have XM!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Come on guys. You know you all want to Wake Up With Whoopie!

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMrRadio
    Come on guys. You know you all want to Wake Up With Whoopie!
    Blech!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by hls811
    Blech!
    I believe it was right after the IMUS situation where O&A were interviewing Whoopi and they asked her about the infamous "Black Face" performance with Ted Dansen- She hung up the phone!!!

Seems that some people are content to point their fingers without taking stock of their actions first.

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

Lol funny how they get booted off radio for what they say! I wish radio heads would pay more attention to the music they spin than the Djs. Lil jon can scream skee skee all over a record, but the Dj gets the can for a joke? Lol comon now!! I guess I'm jus fed up with the radio as an fan, and a artist!

Its garbage, radio needs a facelift. And its not the djs, its not the Music, its the executives!! Especially within the hip hop community. That's why the perception on hip hop music is so negative, because the executives know that music will sell.

But here's the crazy part!! We as consumers and listeners have a lot more power than we think. Turn off the radio, request good music that you like, same thing with the djs!! You not feeling Steve Harvey, let em know!! They did with jon salley when he was on the beat!!!

I don't see it being offensive as long as they playing half of this nonsense on the radio, the djs are just matching there enviroment! Ask Michelle, I gurantee you she's not on the air saying shizzle my nizzle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast