We consume enormous ammounts of resources and our planet can sustain only so many people. ... Stackers' Lounge forum

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

Overpopulation

Advertisement

We consume enormous ammounts of resources and our planet can sustain only so many people. While its true some euro countries and russia are losing numbers the global pop is still growing rapidly. we may be dominant in reproducing and adopting but many species are going instict. Do you think we should be more responsible controlling the birth rate or continue to seed and face the problem later

Yellowfin no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    317F3C36

Re: Overpopulation

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ we won't run out of some resources. The US alone makes enough food to feed the world 4x. We do, however, need to start making fuel from plants and leave the drilled stuff for plastic. Metal and paper recycling needs to increase a lot, and every landfill needs to be tapped for natural gas. Algore can be burned as fuel as well, or at least put on a bicycle hooked up to a generator. Think about those things before thinking of some kind of curtailing the population. As for me doing my part I ride a bike a lot for transportation and as far as population growth Durex keeps me covered.

TanBucsFan no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

Well since this is a serious topic I'll put the jokes aside.

Looking at China you can see what happens when you try to "control" how many children people have and which gender they can be. The rich will always have enough money to buy their way out of any laws that apply to the rest of us as well.

We need to learn to conserve, stop thinking that our natural resources are unlimited and expendable.

But as long as people who run America made their bread and butter off of oil, we will never see a true government push to get away from oil. In my humble opinion that is.

PIN/ID
    317F3C36

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ there should never be government intervention on what people will buy. If you want to get away from oil, remove subsidies and price supports for it, i.e. have them do less, not more. We pay what we pay at the pump, but also taxes at the refinery and tax money which pays subsidies, so really it's $4 or $5 a gallon we just don't think we're paying. The solution would happen virtually overnight if we fixed that.

Gilgamesh no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ there should never be government intervention on what people will buy. If you want to get away from oil, remove subsidies and price supports for it, i.e. have them do less, not more. We pay what we pay at the pump, but also taxes at the refinery and tax money which pays subsidies, so really it's $4 or $5 a gallon we just don't think we're paying. The solution would happen virtually overnight if we fixed that.
    Likewise the government should not subsidize procreation by giving tax breaks for children. As you state, the problem will take care of itself.

PIN/ID
    317F3C36

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Not taking people's money isn't a subsidy. Giving people money that they didn't earn in the free market is.

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

we'll suck this planet dry. not enough people give a damn or do anything about it. including myself.

there are many points on this topic that could be argued, but i'm not a good debater. i have my thoughts and they usually aren't very educated and not expressed correctly either.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Living in what used to be a farming region, I find it quite frightening that we're paying our farmers not to farm... I heard from my neighbor (one of the only profitable dairy farms around) that we as a country can no longer produce enough food to feed our families. If we were to stop inporting, there would be mass starvation.

Needless to say, I try to grow all my own vegs every year. Call me a freak, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Quote Originally Posted by mikadad
    PROCREATE...feeling very earthy...I am nesting...

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

I find it quite frightening that we're paying our farmers not to farm
    how about paying people for good behaviour and attending school. NYC mayor bloomberg loves the idea.

Poor residents will be rewarded for good behavior - like $300 for doing well on school tests, $150 for holding a job and $200 for visiting the doctor - under an experimental anti-poverty program that New York City officials detailed Monday.
    http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...19/83733.shtml