Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Has anyone else noticed the irony of the Pinstack community? This is supposed to be ... Stackers' Lounge forum

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Online Communities...are we the exception?

Advertisement

Has anyone else noticed the irony of the Pinstack community?

This is supposed to be a forum community for Blackberry users to help each other out. That means that we have a pretty broad spectrum of society represented in here. About the only things we have in common are our phones and that we post to online forums. Beyond that, there isn't much to connect us in any meaningful way.

Yet, my experience has been that this is probably one of the most laid back, helpful communities out there. You (the collective you) pretty much don't care what I am doing at any given moment, but if I need some information about my phone, or just want to kill a few minutes between meetings, I can find something in the stacks to occupy my time. And I won't come away from the experience feeling belittled, intimidated, or second class.

I use several other forums on the net for information about various interests, many of them more related to hobbies than technical gadgets. The elitism and nastiness that goes on in some of those forums leaves a bad tase in my mouth some days. Everything from the classic "use the search button!" flames to outright derision of members just because they dared to ask for help. Or worse, dared to hold an opinion other than theirs.

As I sit here today on a sweltering July afternoon, it got me thinking. How odd that a collection of people gathered around a common hobby, a fun diversion from real life, and they treat each other like dirt. But a random collection of people from all walks of life is able to congregate like a John Lennon song.

Its fascinating in many ways. I feel like going out to sing "Kum By Yah" somewhere now.

TanBucsFan no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

Re: Online Communities...are we the exception?

I've been on a number of different community websites, but none quite like Pinstack and I think that's the lure of this place.

For the most part people here are so nice, helpful and the help usually comes pretty quickly as well. Then you have those of us who'd rather slack off all day than work....hey maybe the slogan should be come slack on the stacks!! lol

HeyMrRadio no está en línea Themes Pro

Yeah this virtual lobby is an amazing place to be. When I came back to the RIM world, I simply googled for "blackberry forums" and we all know which three popped up. However, this place stood out because I got my answers asap and without being called a noob or being told to search first, even though I do that anyway. On top of that, I made some pretty cool friends too.Sadly I didnt get a "welcome to pinstack" message so I make it my duty to welcome the newcomers.

So in other words, I agree with you.

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Welcome to the Stacks, Mr. Radio.

HeyMrRadio no está en línea Themes Pro

YEAH LaTuFu! Im officially a member

TanBucsFan no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

lol

Gilgamesh no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Agreed. I joined about 4 months ago and haven't contributed anything helpful about BBs. But I just love the folks here.

I love some more than others.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Agreed. I joined about 4 months ago and haven't contributed anything helpful about BBs. But I just love the folks here.

I love some more than others.
    awwwwwwwwwwww thank you... LOL JK

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

The difference between Pinstack and some other places? I had started a thread a week ago on a topic, it ran its course in a day or so, or so I thought. A week and 8 pages later, there were forum regulars in there beating a dead horse on a different topic. No respect for Forum rules, each other, or anything else but beating their own opinion down each other's throats. I had to contact a Mod to request the thread be locked. A week and 8 pages later.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    The difference between Pinstack and some other places? I had started a thread a week ago on a topic, it ran its course in a day or so, or so I thought. A week and 8 pages later, there were forum regulars in there beating a dead horse on a different topic. No respect for Forum rules, each other, or anything else but beating their own opinion down each other's throats. I had to contact a Mod to request the thread be locked. A week and 8 pages later.
    On here?... you can always contact me and I can try to help you

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Nonononononono. That was my point. Never even seen a thread get out of line on Pinstack. This other community forum I participate in has a bad habit of threads wandering off topic and degenerating into a "I'm right/you're wrong" tug of war. Mods don't really step in for some reason, unless the OP requests a thread lock or the posters cross the line. But most of the time they just dance up to the line and sing the same song every time. Just gets old. Probably why I don't post there much.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

ahhhhhh I know what you mean... are we talking about the "search" forum?

mserica513 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    OOPS!

Holds LaTuFu's hand and approaches bon fire :

[FONT=Arial]Kum Bay Yah, My Lord, Kum By Yah
    Kum Bay Yah, My Lord, Kum By Yah
    Oh Lord, Kum By Yah

We're Pinstackers, My Lord, Kum By Yah
    We're Pinstackers,My Lord, Kum By Yah
    Oh Lord, Kum By Yah

We love blackberries,My Lord, Kum By Yah
    Oh Lord, Kum By Yah

Oh Lord, Kum By Yah
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]
    *but yea you hit the nail on the head. I've since abandoned the other forum i used to post in. well not abandon, maybe lurk there once a week, I love the stacks and even when i get rid of my bb i'll still post here, these guys are the greatest! Now I feel all warm and fuzzy and I want S'mores
    [/FONT]

CrackBerry08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23ec9936

Quote Originally Posted by mserica513
    Holds LaTuFu's hand and approaches bon fire :

[FONT=Arial]Kum Bay Yah, My Lord, Kum By Yah
    Oh Lord, Kum By Yah

We're Pinstackers, My Lord, Kum By Yah
    Oh Lord, Kum By Yah

Oh Lord, Kum By Yah

Oh Lord, Kum By Yah
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]
    *but yea you hit the nail on the head. I've since abandoned the other forum i used to post in. well not abandon, maybe lurk there once a week, I love the stacks and even when i get rid of my bb i'll still post here, these guys are the greatest! Now I feel all warm and fuzzy and I want S'mores
    [/FONT]
    Even when you get rid of your bb? For shame... and if not for shame, then for someone else. Let's roast some wienies and tell ghost stories.
    You can find some pretty interesting satellite images of interesting places. C'mon, try it, you'll like it.

mserica513 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    OOPS!

Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry08
    Even when you get rid of your bb? For shame... and if not for shame, then for someone else. Let's roast some wienies and tell ghost stories.
    yea, I want a camera bb and i can only find one on the GSM networks. I just dont want a GSM phone. Im gonna get a treo or a Q or somethin like that . i'm still debating but i'm still a bber for now. if nextel would step up their bb game i wouldnt have to get a new phone..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast