I have 3 reloadable gift cards and a little over $200 cash in gift money ... Stackers' Lounge forum

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Netbooks

Advertisement

I have 3 reloadable gift cards and a little over $200 cash in gift money from my recent college graduation. I am considering taking some of it (when I get all I'm gonna get from those I sent invitations and announcements to) and purchasing a netbook (Or ask for one for Christmas instead of the PS3 I wanted). The most use it will be for are places I can't take my 15" HP notebook or the iPad I'm gonna get for my birthday. My uses for it will be:

Note taking at various conferences
    College (when I decide to go back and finish my AA in Sign Language Interpreting)
    iTunes
    Social Networking (I'm addicted to games on Facebook and MySpace which require Flash and I gotta have my games LOL)
    Chatting
    Email
    USB port for charging my phone and iPod Touch
    Printing from my printer

I'm looking at a Dell Mini 10, Toshiba, or Acer Aspire One. If I get it on my own, I will probably want to spend no more than ~$300 with taxes. I DO NOT want a Linux based netbook. Either Windows 7 Starter, XP Professional or whatever XP version still comes preloaded on netbooks. I probably also want no bigger than an Acer Aspire One I like that has an 11" screen. As alot of you know, I am disabled and carry all my crap in a backpack on my wheelchair so it has to be small enough to fit in there LOL

Any ideas??? You guys have been very helpful in helping me pick my last 2 computers so I thought I'd come back to where I got the 2 I have been currently through.

Hello old friend, I use and am very happy with an Asus Eee PC Netbook. Average price about $299. Win 7 Starter. Screen is smaller than the Aspire you described - this little fellow has a 9", but when you're using it it's not a big deal. 3 USB ports, and a SD slot for memory. Battery life about 8 hours (my experience). Webcam. Bluetooth. Great screen quality, good sound quality. 1 Gig Ram. 1.6 GHz processor. I've had mine for 4+ months and it has been bulletproof - -

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Well? I'm not a fan of Netbooks even tho they can be good for some things. I guess I look at a Netbook as a disposable device. I understand the price dictates that but I just think a person is better off with a Laptop or one of the soon to be released Tablet type devices.
    All the things you listed are covered and you are starting off with the newest technology. It won't be a disposable device and I think you will enjoy using it more. Android Tablets will be pretty neat when released and the iPad (well?) it's also pretty darn nice to use and the Apps make it even more attractive.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything you may be looking at, I'm only pointing out Netbooks are very limited and when Android is finally placed on a Tablet device and released between those and the iPad Netbooks are all but done. I just think a full blown Laptop or a Tablet device may suit your needs longer down the road.

Everything but the USB charging will be available on a Tablet device. The battery on a Tablet will also be much better.
    I just see a future for a Net book with the cost and minimal specs I see them as disposable/throw away items.

I think there at over 20 company's now officially committed to releasing a Tablet device running Android or WebOS plus the iPad.
    If you have a little time to wait I would do that while focusing on different Tablets that feature things you like most.

Last edited by srl7741; 05-31-2010 at 01:54 PM.

I'm already getting an iPad later this year. I don't want 2 tablet devices.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Well if your sure of the iPad then that will take us back to the Netbook idea. IDK? I'm just not sold on those devices. But since you do have specific needs for one it may be just the right device to fit in as a substitute. Your list above it good. It's a toss up to me. I know that does not help much but those listed are great for the price. I should add i've used the Linux NB and did not like it so staying with Windows is a good idea.
    Last edited by srl7741; 05-31-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Been a while since I updated this thread, but I am still checking out my options. I am confused on one thing though. I have my 15" laptop wirelessly connected to my router here at home. Will I be able to set up the netbook similarly without having to purchase a mobile broadband service/card? I can get free WiFi access in several places without the use of the card but I may still purchase one.

Update: Getting a Dell Mini 10 w/XP Home loaded on it for my birthday, in less than a month so I will see how it goes when I get it.

I ended up with an Asus EeePC 1005HAB. Slowly getting used to it but I think I will invest in a BlueTooth keyboard and mouse.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 09-11-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Mark, I have an annoying problem. Does your screen text size look big on one page and microscopic on a different page? Want to know if this is an issue because on certain pages, I can read it. But on Facebook, it's microscopic LOL Also, it just froze for the first time while scrolling. Should I take it back?

Graceron no está en línea Stack level 1
    This is too late but it must be just your browser settings. Using a netbook myself but its a 12" from MSI.