Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why does everyone think that police have anything to do with enforcing law? Law is ... Stackers' Lounge forum

CrackBerry08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23ec9936

Law Enforcement?

Advertisement

Why does everyone think that police have anything to do with enforcing law?
    Law is enforced by judges and politicians.
    Police play no part in what is or isn't law. Police help maintain order.
    I love and respect what our police officers do, but you guys have nothing to do with law enforcement.

My two cents, etc.

PS- I like the metal and plastic plunger handles, not wood .
    You can find some pretty interesting satellite images of interesting places. C'mon, try it, you'll like it.

PDUB204 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Re: Law Enforcement?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~uh we enforce the laws that are put into place by politicians and such

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Police enforce the laws created by elected officials, which are then upheld and interpreted by the judiciary.

[/government 101]
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PDUB204 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~thank you latufu

PIN/ID
    23ec9936

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

By that logic, people don't commit crimes because they fear punishment by the judiciary, but because the fear punishment by police.

Regarding crimes, police are around for two reasons: 1. To round up criminals, and 2. To put enough fear in would be criminals that they wouldn't commit crimes.

Police have absolutely nothing to do with law; they are there to maintain order.

This not an attack on police, just me clarifying what is and isn't "Law Enforcement."

Pdub, you and people like you put your lives at risk to maintain order. I am truly thankful and respect you for what you do. If I have offended you in any way, know that it was not my intent to.

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5

A police officer (also known as a constable in some countries) is employed in most cases by national, state/provincial or municipal governments and has the responsibility (or duty) of enforcing federal, state/provincial laws along with municipal/city ordinances.

Ahem...Law Enforcement.

PIN/ID
    23ec9936

Duly noted.

A space belongs after your ellipses.

What is being done when something is being enforced? It is being made to be observed and/or obeyed. What if I do something against the law, which would, by law, require me to face punishment. The police would have to do their job and arrest me. Would the police punish me? I would hope not. Can the police punish me? Not at all. All the police can do is forward me to the appropriate parties who actually do carry out those things called laws. Now tell me, what do police and law have to do with one another again?

Also, in the good ol' US of A, police have no part in federal matters. Police are local. Federal is country wide.

PS - Mr. </goverment 101>, where's the <government 101>? You're closing something never opened. Sloppy, sloppy coding .

PPS - I'm going to have nightmares because of your avatar, Evolution.
    You can find some pretty interesting satellite images of interesting places. C'mon, try it, you'll like it.

Thanks for the grammar lesson but back to the OP.

You were talking about "Law Enforcement" in your OP so not sure why you are now talking about "punishment".

You are right the appropriate people carry out the laws, but the police "enforce" the laws... so even in your last response you contradicted your OP
    " What is being done when something is being enforced? It is being made to be observed and/or obeyed."
    which is what the police do...then the appropriate people "punish" you which is not the same as enforcing.

O and glad to be of service in your nightmares

One division enforces the laws, and one punishes you for not obeying them.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

its like this...

hayden has made all the laws here in crackberry cafe, pinstack, usa.

evo and i are the cops - the law enforcement

we've had some ruckus in here recently - and the cops/police/mod team were called in to clean house. enforce the rules.

you must've not seen me in my sheriff glasses

PIN/ID
    23ec9936

I bring up punishment because it is a consequence of not obeying law.

There are only two options: 1. Obey law. 2. Disobey law.

Regarding law, police have only two options: 1. Watch you obey law. 2. Stop you when and only when you disobey law. I'll throw in 2(a) for the fun of it. 2(a). Probable Cause.

Anyways, misused Probable Cause and the croaking of our buddy, Habeas Corpus, et cetera, e cetera, e cetera... laws are enforced by judges. Unless judges, ie Hayden, delegate that power of enforcement to the cops, ie Cherri and Evo, like in good ol' CrackBerry Cafe, Pinstact, USA, those cops are not law enforcement.

I will respect your authorita, Cherri .

Meh well as stated everywhere(online,people, and just general knowledge). Police are Law Enforcement Officers... So anything to the contrary is just...:YAWN:

PIN/ID
    23ec9936

I know, I know... the sun revolves around the earth. I think this thread has run it's course. You win because because you added Officers into they fray. I guess I'm just jealous because I don't get to call myself something completely unrelated to my job.

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

well would you mind clarifying your definition of Enforcement?

from my research
    Verb
    • S: (v) enforce, implement, apply (ensure observance of laws and rules) "Apply the rules to everyone";
    • S: (v) enforce, impose (compel to behave in a certain way) "Social relations impose courtesy"
    WordNet home page

and i think the folks from the police department ENFORCES, IMPLEMENT, APPLY. The laws that are created by the law makers. Thus, making the police the law enforcers.

and from the same website.

Law enforcement defines

Noun
    • S: (n) law enforcement (ensuring obedience to the laws)
    and if you google LAW ENFORCEMENT

Google Advanced Search
    Preferences Web
    Related phrases: law enforcement officer law enforcement agency law enforcement official list of law enforcement agencies specialized law enforcement law enforcement agent law enforcement in australia general law enforcement law enforcement agent or agency law enforcement of court judgment

Definitions of Law Enforcement on the Web:
    And if you google JUDGE

Google Advanced Search
    Preferences Web
    Related phrases: administrative law judge line judge goal judge judge advocate general field judge side judge judge dredd christopher judge judge not william quan judge

Definitions of judge on the Web:
    • determine the result of (a competition)
    • evaluate: form a critical opinion of; "I cannot judge some works of modern art"; "How do you evaluate this grant proposal?" "We shouldn't pass judgment on other people"
    • estimate: judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time); "I estimate this chicken to weigh three pounds"
    • a public official authorized to decide questions brought before a court of justice
    • pronounce: pronounce judgment on; "They labeled him unfit to work here"
    • evaluator: an authority who is able to estimate worth or quality
    • put on trial or hear a case and sit as the judge at the trial of; "The football star was tried for the murder of his wife"; "The judge tried both father and son in separate trials"
      wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

• A judge or justice is an appointed or elected official who presides over a court. The powers, functions, and training of judges vary widely from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge

• Judge was a New York City hardcore band, formed in 1987 by Youth Of Today guitarist John "Porcell" Porcelly and former Death Before Dishonor/Youth Of Today drummer Mike "Judge" Ferraro. Their first release was a 7" EP on Porcelly's label Schism (which he ran along with Side By Side/Gorilla Biscuits guitar-player Alex Brown) entitled New York Crew. The record featured 5 songs, one of which was a cover of "Warriors" by the British oi!/punk band Blitz. ...
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_(band)

• Judge is a title held by several significant characters in the Judge Dredd series, which appears in the British comic book 2000 AD. In the fictional future history of the series, the role of "Judge" combines those of judge and police officer, thus avoiding long legal wrangles by allowing for criminals to be tried and sentenced on the spot.
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_(2000_AD)

• A presiding officer of the court.
      brandonlclark.com/glossary.html

• An elected or appointed official with authority to hear and decide cases in a court of law.
      juryduty.nashville.gov/pls/portal/url/page/juryDuty/glossary/

• an attorney that is appointed by the Governor to preside over a Superior Court or an individual that is elected to preside over a Justice of the Peace Court.
      www.esia.net/Definitions.htm

• A person appointed by the Commission to carry out all of the duties and responsibilities specified by the rules and the Commission.
      www.ontarioracingcommission.com/resources_glossary.aspx

• The person who decides the official placings and margins for each race or trial. They are also responsible for deciding who the placegetters are in the event of a photo finish or developed print.
      www.harness.org.au/TERMS.HTM

• One or more officials who sit at ringside to score a bout.
      www.pbs.org/unforgivableblackness/sparring/glossary.html

• A public official with authority to determine a cause or question in a court of justice and preside over the proceedings therein.
      www.tennessee.gov/correction/criminaljustice/glossary.htm

• A judge is a person with the authority to hear evidence and decide cases in court. return to index
      www.owjn.org/info/glossar3.htm

• A racing official responsible for making decisions concerning photo finish results, eligibility and other racing matters.
      www.pbkennelclub.com/Racingterms.asp

• A judge may represent an authority figure, in real life or in your psyche, which constantly condemns or criticizes spontaneous actions that are considered to be unruly and frivolous. Alternatively, judges may represent justice or good/bad judgment.
      www.dream-dictionary.org/interpretation/dream_dictionary_j.html

• "Judge" means a Justice of the Supreme Judicial Court or the Superior Court, any Judge of the District Court, any Administrative Court Judge or any Associate Administrative Court Judge who is actively serving as of December 1, 1984, or who is appointed subsequent to December 1, 1984, but does not include Active Retired Judges. [2001, c. 12, §1 (amd).]
      janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/4/title4sec1201.html

• Person who presides over courtroom proceedings and renders a decision.
      www.justice.gov.nl.ca/just/Provincial_court/definitions.htm

• Public official appointed to hear a case in court and make a decision on that case.
      www.fisicx.com/quickreference/politics/legalterms.html

• The individual evaluating the performance of the dog and handler.
      www.essfta.org/htglossary.htm

• A political officer who is elected or appointed to preside over a court of law.
      www.iejs.com/glossary/Glossary_J.htm

• A duly elected official presiding over court cases and determining sentence.
      www.bshofcentralflorida.org/Bsh11-terms.html

• means a Judge of a court created by the Parliament.
      scaletext.law.gov.au/html/pasteact/0/48/0/PA000080.htm

• The legal officer who presides over the courtroom and directs and controls the trial.
      www.teachervision.fen.com/page/702.html

• The person responsible for the implementation of the rules of shooting at a tournament, also when requested will make a decision on any line cutter calls.
      www.oldbasingarchers.co.uk/glossary/glossaryh-m.htm

Find definitions of judge in: English French Russian all languages

I have not found a single thing about JUDGE being the enforcer of the LAW.

Also, according to the CODE OF JUDICIAL CONDUCT:
    Check out CODE OF JUDICIAL CONDUCT 21-300
    21-300.

21-300. A judge shall perform the duties of office impartially and diligently.
    A. Judicial duties in general. The judicial duties of a judge take precedence over all the judge's other activities. The judge's judicial duties include all the duties of the judge's office prescribed by law. In the performance of these duties, the following standards apply.
    B. Adjudicative responsibilities.
    (1) A judge shall hear and decide matters assigned to the judge except those in which disqualification is required.
    (2) A judge shall be faithful to the law and maintain professional competence in it. A judge shall not be swayed by partisan interests, public clamor or fear of criticism.
    (3) A judge shall maintain order and decorum in judicial proceedings.
    (4) A judge shall be patient, dignified and courteous to litigants, jurors, witnesses, lawyers and others with whom the judge deals in the judge's official capacity, and shall require similar conduct of lawyers, and of staff, court officials and others subject to the judge's direction and control.
    (5) A judge shall perform judicial duties without bias or prejudice. A judge shall not, in the performance of judicial duties, by words or conduct manifest bias or prejudice, including but not limited to bias or prejudice based upon race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status, and shall not permit staff, court officials and others subject to the judge's direction and control to do so.
    (6) A judge shall require lawyers in proceedings before the judge to refrain from manifesting, by words or conduct, bias or prejudice based upon race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status, against parties, witnesses, counsel or others. This subparagraph does not preclude legitimate advocacy or consideration by the court when race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status, or other similar factors, are issues in or relevant to the proceeding.
    (7) A judge shall accord to every person who has a legal interest in a proceeding, or that person's lawyer, the right to be heard according to law. A judge shall not initiate, permit, or consider ex parte communications, or consider other communications made to the judge outside the presence of the parties concerning a pending or impending proceeding except that:
    (a) Where circumstances require, ex parte communications for scheduling, administrative purposes or emergencies that do not deal with substantive matters or issues on the merits are authorized; provided:
    (i) the judge reasonably believes that no party will gain a procedural or tactical advantage as a result of the ex parte communication, and
    (ii) the judge makes provision promptly to notify all other parties of the substance of the ex parte communication if it might reasonably be perceived that the party contacting the judge may have gained a tactical advantage.
    (b) A judge may obtain the advice of a disinterested expert on the law applicable to a proceeding before the judge if the judge gives notice to the parties of the person consulted and the substance of the advice, and affords the parties reasonable opportunity to respond.
    (c) A judge may consult with court personnel whose function is to aid the judge in carrying out the judge's adjudicative responsibilities or with other judges.
    (d) A judge may, with the consent of the parties, confer with the parties and their lawyers in an effort to mediate or settle matters pending before the judge. Ordinarily the judge will meet jointly with the parties.
    (e) A judge may initiate or consider any ex parte communications when expressly authorized by law to do so.
    (8) A judge shall dispose of all judicial matters promptly, efficiently and fairly.
    (9) All cases decided by an opinion of an appellate court shall be by a collegial opinion. Before an opinion is placed in final form, the participating justices or judges shall attempt to reconcile any differences between them. Each justice or judge on each panel is charged with the duty of carefully reading and analyzing the pertinent submitted material on each case in which the justice or judge participates.
    (10) A judge shall not, while a proceeding is pending or impending in any court, make any public comment that might reasonably be expected to affect its outcome or impair its fairness or make any nonpublic comment that might substantially interfere with a fair trial or hearing. The judge shall require similar abstention on the part of court personnel subject to the judge's direction and control. This subparagraph does not prohibit judges from making public statements in the course of their official duties or from explaining for public information the procedures of the court. This subparagraph does not apply to proceedings in which the judge is a litigant in a personal capacity.
    (11) A judge shall not, with respect to cases, controversies or issues that are likely to come before the court, make pledges, promises or commitments that are inconsistent with the impartial performance of the adjudicative duties of the office.
    (12) A judge shall not commend or criticize jurors for their verdict other than in a court order or opinion in a proceeding, but may express appreciation to jurors for their service to the judicial system and the community.
    (13) A judge shall not disclose or use, for any purpose unrelated to judicial duties, nonpublic information acquired in a judicial capacity.
    C. Administrative responsibilities.
    (1) A judge shall diligently discharge the judge's administrative responsibilities without bias or prejudice, maintain professional competence in judicial administration and should cooperate with other judges and court officials in the administration of court business.
    (2) A judge shall inform and require the judge's staff, court officials and others subject to the judge's direction and control to observe the standards of confidentiality, fidelity and diligence that apply to the judge and to refrain from manifesting bias and prejudice in the performance of their official duties.
    (3) A judge with supervisory authority for the judicial performance of other judges shall take reasonable measures to assure the prompt disposition of matters before them and the proper performance of their other judicial responsibilities.
    (4) A judge shall not make unnecessary appointments. A judge shall exercise the power of appointment impartially and on the basis of merit. A judge shall avoid nepotism and favoritism. A judge shall not approve compensation of appointees beyond the fair value of services rendered.
    D. Disciplinary responsibilities.
    (1) A judge who receives information indicating a substantial likelihood that another judge has committed a violation of this Code should take appropriate action. A judge having knowledge that another judge has committed a violation of this Code that raises a substantial question as to the other judge's fitness for office shall inform the appropriate authority.
    (2) A judge who receives information indicating a substantial likelihood that a lawyer has committed a violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct should take appropriate action. A judge having knowledge that a lawyer has committed a violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct that raises a substantial question as to the lawyer's honesty, trustworthiness or fitness as a lawyer in other respects shall inform the appropriate authority.
    (3) The requirements of Subparagraphs (1) and (2) of this paragraph do not apply to any communication concerning alcohol or substance abuse by a judge or attorney that is:
    (a) intended to be confidential;
    (b) made for the purpose of reporting substance abuse or recommending, seeking or furthering the diagnosis, counseling or treatment of a judge or an attorney for alcohol or substance abuse; and
    (c) made to, by or among members or representatives of a lawyers support group, Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous or other support group recognized by the Judicial Standards Commission or the Disciplinary Board. Recognition of any additional support group by the Judicial Standards Commission or Disciplinary Board shall be published in the Bar Bulletin.
    This exception does not apply to information that is required by law to be reported or to disclosures or threats of future criminal acts or violations of these rules.
    (4) Acts of a judge, in the discharge of disciplinary responsibilities, required or permitted by Subparagraphs (1) and (2) of Paragraph D of this rule are part of a judge's judicial duties and shall be absolutely privileged, and no civil action predicated thereon may be instituted against the judge.
    E. Definition. As used in this rule, "court personnel" does not include the lawyers in a proceeding before a judge.
    [As amended, effective March 1, 1991; February 16, 1995; August 31, 2004.]
    Commentary
    Paragraph A
    The commentary to Rule 21 100 NMRA also applies to Paragraph A of this rule.
    Paragraph B (4)
    The duty to hear all proceedings fairly and with patience is not inconsistent with the duty to dispose promptly of the business of the court. Judges can be efficient and businesslike while being patient and deliberate.
    Commentary B (5)
    A judge must refrain from speech, gestures or other conduct that could reasonably be perceived as sexual harassment and must require the same standard of conduct of others subject to the judge's direction and control.
    A judge must perform judicial duties impartially and fairly. A judge who manifests bias on any basis in a proceeding impairs the fairness of the proceeding and brings the judiciary into disrepute. Facial expression and body language, in addition to oral communication, can give to parties or lawyers in the proceeding, jurors, the media and others an appearance of judicial bias. A judge must be alert to avoid behavior that may be perceived as prejudicial.
    Paragraph B (7)
    The proscription against communications concerning a proceeding includes communications from lawyers, law teachers and other persons who are not participants in the proceeding, except to the limited extent permitted. It does not preclude a judge from consulting with other judges, or with court personnel whose function is to aid the judge in carrying out his adjudicative responsibilities.
    To the extent reasonably possible, all parties or their lawyers shall be included in communications with a judge.
    Whenever presence of a party or notice to a party is required by Subparagraph (7) of Paragraph B, it is the party's lawyer, or if the party is unrepresented the party, who is to be present or to whom notice is to be given.
    An appropriate and often desirable procedure for a court to obtain the advice of a disinterested expert on legal issues is to invite the expert to file a brief amicus curiae.
    Certain ex parte communication is approved by Subparagraph (7) of Paragraph B to facilitate scheduling and other administrative purposes and to accommodate emergencies. In general, however, a judge must discourage ex parte communication and allow it only if all the criteria stated in Subparagraph (7) are clearly met. A judge must disclose to all parties all ex parte communications described in Subparagraphs (a) and (b) of Subparagraph (7) of this paragraph regarding a proceeding pending or impending before the judge if it might reasonably be perceived that the party contacting the judge may have gained a tactical advantage. On rare occasions the judge may, with the consent of the parties, meet separately with the parties.
    A judge must not independently investigate facts in a case and must consider only the evidence presented.
    A judge may request a party to submit proposed findings of fact and conclusions of law, so long as the other parties are apprised of the request.
    A judge must make reasonable efforts, including the provision of appropriate supervision, to ensure that Subparagraph (7) of Paragraph B of this rule is not violated through law clerks or other personnel on the judge's staff. See Paragraph E of this rule for the definition of "court personnel".
    If communication between the trial judge and the appellate court with respect to a proceeding is permitted, a copy of any written communication or the substance of any oral communication should be provided to all parties.
    Paragraph B (8)
    In disposing of matters promptly, efficiently and fairly, a judge must demonstrate due regard for the rights of the parties to be heard and to have issues resolved without unnecessary cost or delay. Containing costs while preserving fundamental rights of parties also protects the interests of witnesses and the general public. A judge should monitor and supervise cases so as to reduce or eliminate dilatory practices, avoidable delays and unnecessary costs. A judge should encourage and seek to facilitate settlement, but parties should not feel coerced into surrendering the right to have their controversy resolved by the courts. See Rule 11-408 NMRA of the Rules of Evidence relating to communications relating to compromise.
    Prompt disposition of the court's business requires a judge to devote adequate time to judicial duties, to be punctual in attending court and expeditious in determining matters under submission, and to insist that court officials, litigants and their lawyers cooperate with the judge to that end.
    The practices of a judge in the enjoyment of hours of personal holiday or recreation should leave no public perception that the business of the court is not a full-time demand or that the avoidance of delays in the administration of justice is not dependent upon active management of the judiciary.
    Paragraphs B (10) and (11)
    Paragraph B (10) and (11) restrictions on judicial speech are essential to the maintenance of the integrity, impartiality and independence of the judiciary. A pending proceeding is one that has begun but not yet reached final disposition. An impending proceeding is one that is anticipated but not yet begun. The requirement that judges abstain from public comment regarding a pending or impending proceeding continues during any appellate process and until final disposition.
    Subparagraphs (10) and (11) of Paragraph B do not prohibit a judge from commenting on proceedings in which the judge is a litigant in a personal capacity, but in cases such as a writ of mandamus where the judge is a litigant in an official capacity, the judge must not comment publicly.
    Paragraph B (12)
    Commending or criticizing jurors for their verdict may imply a judicial expectation in future cases and may impair a juror's ability to be fair and impartial in a subsequent case.
    Paragraph C
    Appointees of the judge include officials such as referees, commissioners, special masters, receivers and guardians and personnel such as clerks, secretaries and bailiffs. Consent by the parties to an appointment or an award of compensation does not relieve the judge of the obligation prescribed by this subsection.
    Paragraph D
    Appropriate action may include direct communication with the judge or lawyer who has committed the violation, other direct action if available, and reporting the violation to the appropriate authority or other agency or body.
    Paragraph E
    The definition of "court personnel" was taken from the Model Code of Judicial Conduct "terminology" section. It is used in Subparagraph (7)(c) and Subparagraph (9) of Paragraph B of this rule.
    [Revised, effective August 31, 2004.]
    Effect of amendment notes:
    The 2004 amendments, effective August 31, 2004, added a new Subparagraph (11) of Paragraph B prohibiting a judge with respect to cases, controversies or issues from making pledges, promises or commitments "that are inconsistent with the impartial performance of the adjudicative duties of the office", redesignated Subparagraphs (11) and (12) as Subparagraphs (12) and (13); amended the commentary to change the heading "Paragraph B (9)" to "Paragraphs B (10) and (11)"; added the first two sentences after the rewritten heading relating to restrictions on judicial speech; and revised internal references in the commentary to be consistent with the 2004 amendments.

There LOL

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry08

By that logic, people don't commit crimes because they fear punishment by the judiciary, but because the fear punishment by police.

Could you name some punishment done by a police department?

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

Crackberry seems to be one of those people who wish they and apparently think they are smarter than the rest of the world. If you are speeding and see a cop you slow down because you don't want a ticket, the cop enforced the law, and later when your thinking about speeding the thought of the cop enforces the law and if you do break the law the cop gives you a ticket (which is the second half of the law - you speed, you get a ticket) and the court is what makes you pay the ticket...

ALL the cop does is enforce the law, I realize this may be difficult for you to understand but if you get your head out of your *** and wipe the **** out of your mouth before trying to talk maybe you can have a conversation with someone who can walk you through your misconceptions of what "enforcement" is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast