So to make a long story short, my DC jack on the motherboard of my ... Stackers' Lounge forum

bigblue95z no está en línea Stack level 3

Thumbs down Laptop Woes

Advertisement

So to make a long story short, my DC jack on the motherboard of my laptop has permanently flaked out. Been lookin to get it fixed but local shops want $300 with no guarantee on their work. I searched Google and there are lots of mail-in DC jack repair places that only want $99 and have a guarantee but I'm leary of shippin off my laptop to someone I've never dealt with. Has any Stackers had experiece with a broken DC or these mail-in places? What when down?

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    I haven't had any experience with any of those places. I would suggest the BBB for starters. Hopefully another stacker's had experience with one that they can make a recommendation for.

Also, I don't know what kind of laptop you have/how old/how much it's worth, but what about getting a new one? I know that's not feasible if we're talking about an XPS that's 6 months old.
    Proof of absence is not absence of proof.

bigblue95z no está en línea Stack level 3
    Its a Gateway MX8734 that is 2yrs in may. 17" 1.6Ghz Dual Core, 160G HD, 2G Ram. If its gonna be $300 I'll spring for a new one. If its gonna be $99, I'll get it fixed. I'm hoping someone has ran across this before. Where's all the Tech ppl at?

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    I am a tech person. Just haven't come across this problem yet.

Have you checked yet with the Better Business Bureau about any of the $99 repair places?

Also, are you (or do you have a friend) who is good and comfortable with taking apart electronics? If so, you can do it yourself for under $40. I found these two websites while I was researching.
    http://www.dcpowerjacks.net/
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Repl...laptop-comput/
    On the second link, there's lots more info in the comments section. Also, I would only recommend doing this if your laptop's not covered by a warranty, as this DIY would void that.

I did notice a couple of the places that you could send it to allowed you to drop it off (obviously if the place is in your area). I know for me, that would be more comforting than sending it off to billy-bob's basement repair shop.
    Proof of absence is not absence of proof.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by ganns1980 View Post
    I am a tech person. Just haven't come across this problem yet.

Have you checked yet with the Better Business Bureau about any of the $99 repair places?

Also, are you (or do you have a friend) who is good and comfortable with taking apart electronics? If so, you can do it yourself for under $40. I found these two websites while I was researching.
    http://www.dcpowerjacks.net/
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Repl...laptop-comput/
    On the second link, there's lots more info in the comments section. Also, I would only recommend doing this if your laptop's not covered by a warranty, as this DIY would void that.

I did notice a couple of the places that you could send it to allowed you to drop it off (obviously if the place is in your area). I know for me, that would be more comforting than sending it off to billy-bob's basement repair shop.

I would have to agree, somewhere local you could get more local info and ideas of the quality of work they do.

FYI I know of a cell phone repair place that does the same things to phones/bb for 20$ cant see a comp costing 5xs that.

Just my 2cts
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!