A bit off topic and on IT topic all at the same time here: Anybody ... Stackers' Lounge forum

iridemybike no está en línea Stack Professional

Kind of OT/IT. Anybody know the going rate for...

Advertisement

A bit off topic and on IT topic all at the same time here: Anybody know what the going rate for general computer repair is these days. I've got a friend of a friend that would like me to do some computer work for but I'm not real sure how much to charge for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tucker

twieder no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E83629

Re: Kind of OT/IT. Anybody know the going rate for...

depends on the area, how good you are, and whether you are trying to 'cut a deal'
    I'd say at least $45/hr + parts, min 1 hour, portal to portal. More if you can get it.

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

depends on what exactly you're doing IT wise for him. my buddy was an exec it support at Enron and he doesn't charge squat really for basic pc/laptop repairs. like getting rid of spyware/anti-virus stuff, but if he has to recover the hard drive or do more intensive type stuff he might charge $50-$100. if he actually helps someone set up machines at a company or run cabling or network setup type stuff then it's like $125hr.

i think it's should be based on what you can actually provide and the time it takes you. no one wants to overcharge a buddy, yet you're time isn't given away either.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Yup. If its just a cleanup, I'd do it for a 6 pack. A buddy of mine owns a restaurant/bar, he asked me to get his laptop set up on their wireless network. What I thought would be a simple 15-20 minute gig turned into a 3 hour ordeal b/c he bought it used, and the previous owner had no antivirus/spyware on it.

I wound up drinking beer and eating wings all afternoon while I got his system rebuilt. He comped the meal and drinks, which I thought was totally fair. I was looped when I left, so I was into him for $50-$75 for my tab and food.

Basics, I might do pro bono, depending on the friendship. Less than an hour, definitely.

Basic cleanup/anti-virus/scrubs I might do $50 if it takes 2 hours or less.

Wipes, reformats, setups, network issues, now we're talking $75/hr most likely.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

barrythebadger no está en línea Stack level 4

I always say the first time is free, then after that, charge a fair but decent price for "friends"!!

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

Always free for friends since we hanging out. As long as they dont make it a habbit of running to me everytime. Then again i get my car fixed free etc

barrythebadger no está en línea Stack level 4

A bit of a bartering system, that always works for me!

iridemybike no está en línea Stack Professional

Thanks guys, it's for a friend of a friend, I've never met the guy I'm actually doing the work for. He pretty much just wants it totally wiped out and start over, format the hard drive and reinstall windows, not interested in keeping anything on it. Going that route I figure about 2 hours to get it formatted, windows installed, drivers updated, etc. He wants it back clean as the day he bought it. Pretty basic stuff. I ended up going with $25 hour, he has 2 computers that he wants me to do the same thing to. I told him 4 -5 hours for the both of them but if I run into any problems hunting down drivers etc... that it could take longer.

Totally agree about working for good friends, most of time I'll do it for a six pack, if it turns out to be really involved stuff then they usually pay me anyways. I also work on mountain bikes, used to do it for a living, and I do that for several friends still. I don't mind doing that stuff, I actually kind of enjoy it anyways.

Thanks for the help guys.

Tucker