Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RogerG
  • 1 Post By RogerG

for example. I personally get a new phone and after 2 weeks the novelty wears ... Stackers' Lounge forum

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5

is a smart phone a novelty that wears off ?

Advertisement

for example. I personally get a new phone and after 2 weeks the novelty wears off (I no longer use it because I enjoy using it but rather because it's just a standard tool)- it's hard to explain but I'm sure you get the picture. but what I'm wondering is how long do noveltys (smartphones) stay noveltys before they become non novelty for you and how do you make a novelty stay a novelty longer ?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I change phones once a year with an upgrade. If I REALLY want something else I sell what I've got, put some cash with it and go buy what I want. As for the novelty factor, it lasts for me about 3 months.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Sounds about right, G.
    chokem likes this.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Now Del, on the other hand, changes phones once a week. :P
    chokem likes this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Rog, damn, you're too quick. This was what I was about to write.
    Roger thinks so. The novelty wears off. But he gets oversized, schock and waterproof cases. The result is obvious. After a while he forgets what phone he has behind all that armour, so when he takes all the shields off...he´s got a new phone all over again. Now, Glenn is a little more subtle. He plans various upgrades during the year, him and Nancy, and then he just changes what he buys. Whether its iPhone, iPads or Sammys. Now, Jay is of another world. He keeps the phone for at least six months, and changes the way they work every week. Craig, well he´s a 'nightly' type of guy, and although not as bad a Jay, he´s forever making new screensavers. He dosen´t let the novelty wear off.
    And now me.
    Like Rog says, I just wheel and deal and can't make up my mind. Last week I had three. iPhone, Sammy and settled now on a Lumia 920.
    Just to edit: then there´s Cap. But he´s deeply into plastic. So anything of that nature, water and pebbles and the like, makes him feel ok. The novelty never wears off. He´ll change when the plastics change.

Tomorrow is another day...
    Last edited by Delfim; 05-16-2013 at 07:28 PM.

I keep phones for a while - my S3 is about 3 months in my pocket (I think, might be less). The phone I had before that, HTC HD7, 7 months; before that BlackBerry 9780 Bold 18 months; before that BlackBerry Bold 9700 2 years. After the shine wears off, they're still very useful and I'm not made out of money - lol

^^^^^^And the favorite of them all, even more than my current phone, was the 9700.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    For me it's a tool it does a job so I keep it until it dies, I have been working with computers (which is basically what a smartphone is) since 1970 and am still working with multiple systems. When I stop doing that I will probably want something that I can keep my skills up to date on and hopefully by then I will have a choice of the BB Z34, or the IPhone 1121, or even the Samsung S1,000,001 any one of which will have a 4" screen expandable to 64" depending on requirements, with a possibility of projecting holograms. Not really to much to expect when you look back and see how things have progressed over the years, but then who would have thought Pan Am would have gone out of business certainly not Arthur C Clarke .
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I'm with you on the 4" to 64" and holograms. As far as model names, that's an exageration...