Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi I'm 19 years old I just grad. From high school and I lived in ... Stackers' Lounge forum

zippys no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Lightbulb I'm need some college advice plz.

Advertisement

Hi I'm 19 years old I just grad. From high school and I lived in the Boston area and I really want to go to college to get a higher edu. But back in high school maybe I wasn't the bightest bulb I pass all of my classes by 60s or 70s and something high 80s. So now I'm out of school now for 3 weeks and I'm working at Logan intal airport for UPS and in the fall I have no were to go for collge and I might have to go to Comm. College for the fall and maybe transfer out within 1 to 2 years to a 4 years college. And I would like to hear someone advice to about doing this the best way and not to waste time and money. This is were I say I wish I HAD try harder is not that I'm a retared fool or can't do the work I just don't try or put the time and effort to do it and now I wish I dId I can't change the past but I can inprove my future goals. The reason why I post here b/c many of the ppl here is a lot older and you know hiw the saying goes you can be smart at anying ages but wisdom come with the ageing so plz I need advicess

Thank yOu
    Zippys (not my real name)

jaythestar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Re: I'm need some college advice plz.

Zippys, there is nothing wrong with community college. At least you are willing to put forth the effort. You dont really have to be smart to pass classes with great grades either. You just have to know how and WANT to apply yourself. Even though an associates degree isnt as highly regarded as a bachelors or Masters, it is still a degree. Get it. transfer get your bachelors and then see about grad school if u want. I have an associates and I am about 6 classes away from my bachelors. move at your own pace...its not a sprint. FYI, Thank God Zippys not ur real name!

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

No point in looking back. We all wish we tried harder in school.

College is never a waste of time or money. Its the only investment in life you make that noone can take away and if will further your career. A community or state college are a good place to start, you can always transfer to a better school. Most important is not to put it off. Did you take SAT?

Also i wouldnt recommend these online colleges.

michelle3 no está en línea Stack level 3

Indeed, it's never a waste.

I suggest you enroll in a community college. Def the best option for you right now. It's never to late to turn things around. I would be happy to help you out with any advice just hit me up. Also, dont ever let money be an issue. There are ways around that.

I was fortunate enough to have graduated 3rd in my high school class, but let me tell you that meant nothing when I got to college cause it was WAY different. I had a tough time. I also didn't know what I wanted to study and changed majors 3 times. The last thing I majored in really has nothing to do with what I do now. Wont tell you my life story, but all it takes is passion and dedication, you can accomplish anything if you believe in it.
    Last edited by michelle3; 06-23-2007 at 04:01 PM.

icegrill no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2415259c

All great advice given to you zippy..take it and do the best you can...stay out of trouble!
    holla atcha boy

PIN/ID

Thank you guys so much great advice I'm looking into comm. College for 2 years and then get my ***. Degree and then tranfers to a state college for my bat. Degree I better say looking for comm. College within boston so its easier for me to travel.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

The only real part of life is today; yesterday is gone and tomorrow doesn't exist yet. Make the most of what you have. Go to community college and put a lot of effort into it. Work hard and you will succeed. Believe in yourself and don't look back.

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

i am a professor at a local community college, and many of my students are in exactly your situation. they work, they go to school, and they wish they had done better in high school. community colleges are a great way to get a good gpa going, get some credits to transfer over, and just get used to college. it's VERY different from high school.

it's also a great way to save money. if you get your AA or AS from a cc college, you'll be paying less than a quarter of what it would be at a 4 year private college. you get to transfer your credits and get the BA/BS from the private school, but you only paid for 2 years! it's really a very smart move.

jaythestar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Yesterday is gone and tomorrow don't exist yet. I like that! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

I've been in similar shoes. It is never too late to go back. There are students in my classes that are ~20 years older than myself, I'm 28, working just as hard, if not harder than myself/others my age. I took some time off school to get married - put my wife through school to get her teaching certification. I work full time and take classess at night(almost finished yay!). It is hard work but worth it. Go for the gold man.

TanBucsFan no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

No education is ever a waste.

I was in your boat, I screwed off in school and when it came time for college I was in junior college...hated that then jumped ship and joined the Navy. Then at the age of 28 (with a 3 month old baby and a husband), I realized that I was never going to be able to get a good job unless I had that piece of paper saying I had a college education. So I went back to school full time for 4 years and got my bach. degree. Going to school full time while working full time and raising a family is not the way to do it lol. So my advice?? Go now, do the junior college thing for a year and bust your arse to get good grades and then apply to some colleges. If you've pulled your grades up enough you should have no problem getting accepted to a college.

But good luck to you!!
    Last edited by TanBucsFan; 06-25-2007 at 10:50 AM.

VanillaEps no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A2F5CD

Community College is a great opportunity to a fresh start. Start placing some effort in the advancement of your knowledge and begin to think about what it is that you might want to do or have passion in. Use the two yours in CC to begin cementing the foundation for a sound scholastic approach to your life. Attend classes, take notes, learn, participate, work hard, do well, make friends, and learn life lessons.

Transfer out after two years into a great college and use the lessons your learned your first two years to graduate successfully. Employers don't care about where you attended your first two years. Most employers don't care where you graduate from. What they really care about is evidence of drive, passion, hard work, dedication, and maturity.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5

Zippy, believe me, we all wish that we had done better in school. I graduated from HS in East Boston last year, and im slowly going back into school, im halfway through my first year. We dont all have to be wizards to get into college. All we need is a little push. Community colleges are good, i had a different opinion a couple of months ago, but reading and talking to current students have changed that. They are way cheaper than lets say a Boston College. You can get your Associates and then transfer out. 2 good Community Colleges are Bunker Hill and North Shore.

PIN/ID

Will I just apply to bay state college I'm having a meeting with them this week hope all goes well I'm applying for daytime classes and dorm its cost like 29,000 to 31,000 anyone know a good loan to take I already apply for fasfa... Now I just need a good loan person. Can't wait for the PARITYS

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well all I can say is you can start with community college, get yourself acquainted with college crowd... Small class ratio. The state school here in cali like San Diego State univ. For an English 101 class is 600 students. On a community college is only 30 to 40. That's how it is here, don't know other places...

Its also cheaper...

Eh, that's all I can say..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast