Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by gkast1 Part of the sluggishness may be due to FF's checking for ... Stackers' Lounge forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by gkast1 View Post
    Part of the sluggishness may be due to FF's checking for potential phishing websites. If you don't need or want it you can turn it off (one of the about:config settings... I forget which, I leave it ON myself)
    "about:config..." - is that in tools>options>?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3
    IIRC, you just type about:config in the address bar area (where you would normally type in www.pinstack.com). Same concept as about:blank being a blank start page.
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

Gotcha. I haven't used that in so long I forgot it existed. I'll check it out but it's probably not my problem. Firefox only gets REALLY sluggish after a couple of days of hibernating without a reboot...but I do that same routine on my other laptop and firefox never gives me that sluggish (speed of molasses) response.
    I guess it's Vaio vs. Thinkpad. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Firefox has always had memory leak/hogging problems. If it has been open for a day or more I find it expedient to close and reopen it.

Quote Originally Posted by gkast1 View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Firefox has always had memory leak/hogging problems. If it has been open for a day or more I find it expedient to close and reopen it.
    I think you're right and that stinks! I've updated to version 3.something or other (I think) and it didn't see to be such a problem before that - I could be wrong about that. These thing sneak up on you.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Internet Explorer is integrated tightly with XP and I don't recommend removing it.

FireFox is a great browser and my current browser of choice, but it is not without its share of problems.

I have tinkered wtih Opera and I really like it.

Google Chrome has a small foot print if you want a browser that is light on resources. But it has a long way to go. It is a great first attempt and I am sure it will get better with time. It is hard to compete in an already crowded market with mature products like FireFox and Opera.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    I'm actually suspecting that the last upgrade (or so) that I did for Firefox MAY be causing me a little grief. My laptop, at times, is VERY sluggish and when I look at what's going on it's Firefox taking 80 to 100% of the cpu with no apparent reason. I may try to downgrade if possible to see if that helps. The release I'm on is 3.0.4.
    3.0.5 is out jb
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    Internet Explorer is integrated tightly with XP and I don't recommend removing it.

FireFox is a great browser and my current browser of choice, but it is not without its share of problems.

I have tinkered wtih Opera and I really like it.

Google Chrome has a small foot print if you want a browser that is light on resources. But it has a long way to go. It is a great first attempt and I am sure it will get better with time. It is hard to compete in an already crowded market with mature products like FireFox and Opera.
    I agree that about IE being tight with XP - it's a PILL to get rid of so I just keep it around and use it as little as necessary. I've tried Opera some time back - didn't particularly like it but might give it another go. I also use Chrome from time to time but can't seem to get a cozy feeling with it like it did when I first tried Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    3.0.5 is out jb
    I'll probably upgrade to .5, Cat. Thanks. No point in going backward and maybe they've improved it - one can hope.

UPDATE: I checked my version - I AM on 3.0.5 since I posted previously. I get the notices that there's a new version, upgrade and move on and don't think about it any more.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 12-30-2008 at 09:05 AM.

Ge
    My biggest problem with FireFox is all versions after 2.0 included a History Menu that you can invoke but hitting Alt-S

Well, I am old school and I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts.

Alt-S is how I post messages on forums.

Now I have to use Alt-Shift-S

My biggest problem with FireFox is all versions after 2.0 included a History Menu that you can invoke but hitting Alt-S

Well, I am old school and I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts.

Alt-S is how I post messages on forums.

Now I have to use Alt-Shift-S
    I think my biggest problem with Firefox is after 2.0 - PERIOD! I never used to have any problems with response time or other goofy glitches when it was a newer browser. Now, with all the features and add-ins, all of which are great, it turns into a pumpkin after 24 hours or so.

I've always run by hibernating a LOT. I also run my browser with 10-12 windows open most of the time. I do a lot at one time - I get confused sometimes too!

I just looked and I have 12 windows open now.

Ge
    I am the same way and I never turn off my computer. But FireFox will crash my computer after about 10 days and I have to do a reboot. Good thing all my tabs are saved (most of the time) and I go back to where I was.

That is why I started to look at alternatives. I think Chrome has a long way to go. But Opera, which I have seen for the first time is looking good.

I may give Opera another try. I can't wait for it on my BB - the slow response is too much, but on the P-C it might be good. The neatest thing about Firefox is the ability to block ads with one of the add-ins. I don't think any other browsers have that capability, do they?

Ge
    Opera has Ad Blocking built in. No need for a plug in

Opera 9 has added a solid ad banner blocker, under the guise of a generic "content blocker". (This indirect name is presumably only there to keep a good corporate image.) To block an ad (either an image, frame, or Flash animation), right-click an empty spot on the page and choose Block content. Then, simply click the banners which you want to block. When finished, click Done in the pseudo-toolbar that appears at the top of the page.
    By default, this tries to use some logic to block all ads from the source, but this may sometimes be overkill. To correct this, click the image again (to unblock it), then Shift-click it. This will add only the specific image to the filter list. This filter can then be broadened by clicking Edit.
    A filter will typically contain asterisks ('*'). These mean "any number of any characters", much like in filenames for operating systems.

What I like is the way search is done

In the address bar, you just enter

g BlackBerry
    y BlackBerry

The first will automatically search google for BlackBerry, you can guess what the y will do. It will do a search on Yahoo.

Opera 9 has added a solid ad banner blocker, under the guise of a generic "content blocker
    It doesn't block ads when I look at my email and right-clicking doesn't offer any "block" content option(s) - it's the ads while I'm going thru emails that drives me nuts.

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    OK....if I install firefox on my computer can I uninstall IE? I dont want to have too much on the computer because I dont want it slowing down (hence the 2 500GB of external storage I have! LOL!)....SOOOO....does Fire Fox need IE to work? IF it does, what's the point of having firefox if it can't operate on its own?
    Don't remove it. IE sucks and all but other than certain websites working better with it, there are certain things that other browsers can't do because they aren't part of the operating system... like looking up system information for you. Just keep it just in case.
    "Who Dares Wins"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast