Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 313233343536
Like Tree2Likes

I must be really old my first car cost £50 and gas (petrol) was 5 ... Stackers' Lounge forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Advertisement

I must be really old my first car cost £50 and gas (petrol) was 5 shillings a gallon .
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by BestWitted View Post
    I remember the first computer I saw was in Bldg. 21104 at Camp Pendleton Marine Corp Base.....it required 4 operators per shift and had a raised floor with cooling forced into the bottom of the hardware cabinets.....there were twelve 2,400 ft. magnetic tape drives, a 2,200 Line Per Minute Printer (Double Numeric), a punched paper tape reader, paper tape punch, parallel card punch (IBM's Hollerith code of course), and an 1,800 card per minute reader. It also had a Frieden console TTY reader for loading program boot straps.....and last but not least.....4K of memory with actual ferrite "donut" cores that were about a 1/4" in diameter......3 physical wires interlaced through each donut.....an X, Y and a sense amp wire. The X & Y wires would magnetize or demagnetize the core while the sense amp detected the operation......it also had over 10,000 vacuum tubes with the most sophisticated solid state component being a transistor. The processor was a joint venture between GE (General Electric) and NCR (National Cash Register) and it was called the NCR 304 system. The primary programming language was NEAT3 (Nationals Electronic Autocoding Technique). The maintenance of this beast was accomplished by 3 full-time, on-site technicians. Their responsibility was to troubleshoot to the component level while maintaining an up-time percentage over 98%. I think there were only 12 of these systems built with 3 being purchased by the USMC. I believe the Corps may have migrated to a newer generation of HW by now and my HP laptop easily has more than 1,500X the capability and computing power of this 2nd generation computer (1st generation was generally considered to consist of relays).
    I was on operator for a while on one of those computers, even became a shift supervisor, we had 21 trk, 7trk, and 9trk tapes line printers, punchcards and paper tapes...I even wrote a Fortran compiler using Neat. It's amazing how much things have changed, your phone has more storage and is probably faster than that computer!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

.exe files no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23e2a55a
    So what exactly happened here? I remember when I bought my first BB 8100, it was my first, not only smart phone, but cell phone. I came here all the time to get help with how to do things and figure it out. I did'nt post much cause all the info I ever needed was already here, just had to search. I pretty much stopped coming here when the forum switched from being exclusivly for Blackberrys. So I stopped in to check things out and the forum is just a shell of what it once was. Now, I don't really keep up with the technology industries, so for all I know it should be obvious what happened, nevertheless, I'm ignorant. So what happened?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Unfortunately there were many people like you who left when we became an all-inclusive smartphone site, which is a real shame. I would bet that most of those people who left don't even have a BlackBerry anymore. As you see now, there are very few BlackBerry owners here anymore. we have evolved with the industry and as fate would have it, RIM has not. So I think Hayden ( our original owner) was a visionary in that regard. You either change with the times or get left behind. I was a longtime holdout in the BB world but I'm posting this from my iPhone.

iNurse no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by .exe files View Post
    So what exactly happened here? I remember when I bought my first BB 8100, it was my first, not only smart phone, but cell phone. I came here all the time to get help with how to do things and figure it out. I did'nt post much cause all the info I ever needed was already here, just had to search. I pretty much stopped coming here when the forum switched from being exclusivly for Blackberrys. So I stopped in to check things out and the forum is just a shell of what it once was. Now, I don't really keep up with the technology industries, so for all I know it should be obvious what happened, nevertheless, I'm ignorant. So what happened?
    Welcme back!!
    :) iNurse :)

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by .exe files View Post
    Hi, .exe files. I do not remember you, since I am actually rather new here. I joined in 2010, but did not become active until 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Unfortunately there were many people like you who left when we became an all-inclusive smartphone site, which is a real shame. I would bet that most of those people who left don't even have a BlackBerry anymore. As you see now, there are very few BlackBerry owners here anymore. we have evolved with the industry and as fate would have it, RIM has not. So I think Hayden ( our original owner) was a visionary in that regard. You either change with the times or get left behind. I was a longtime holdout in the BB world but I'm posting this from my iPhone.
    Roger, I suspect that Internet forums are not as busy now as they were several years ago, especially the ones that deal with smartphones. My guess is that is because smartphones are more ubiquitous now, and as more people switch from feature phones to smartphones, there will be fewer people who have questions about smartphones.

I know the Linux and gaming forums are still quite popular. I do not know how popular car, sports, and other forums are.

Is big-boards.com still around? I tried the site, since it gives forum rankings, but I got server error. I am not sure if the site still exists or if their servers are down for maintenance.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 313233343536