Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I remember the first computer I saw was in Bldg. 21104 at Camp Pendleton Marine ... Stackers' Lounge forum

BestWitted no está en línea Stack level 7

Advertisement

I remember the first computer I saw was in Bldg. 21104 at Camp Pendleton Marine Corp Base.....it required 4 operators per shift and had a raised floor with cooling forced into the bottom of the hardware cabinets.....there were twelve 2,400 ft. magnetic tape drives, a 2,200 Line Per Minute Printer (Double Numeric), a punched paper tape reader, paper tape punch, parallel card punch (IBM's Hollerith code of course), and an 1,800 card per minute reader. It also had a Frieden console TTY reader for loading program boot straps.....and last but not least.....4K of memory with actual ferrite "donut" cores that were about a 1/4" in diameter......3 physical wires interlaced through each donut.....an X, Y and a sense amp wire. The X & Y wires would magnetize or demagnetize the core while the sense amp detected the operation......it also had over 10,000 vacuum tubes with the most sophisticated solid state component being a transistor. The processor was a joint venture between GE (General Electric) and NCR (National Cash Register) and it was called the NCR 304 system. The primary programming language was NEAT3 (Nationals Electronic Autocoding Technique). The maintenance of this beast was accomplished by 3 full-time, on-site technicians. Their responsibility was to troubleshoot to the component level while maintaining an up-time percentage over 98%. I think there were only 12 of these systems built with 3 being purchased by the USMC. I believe the Corps may have migrated to a newer generation of HW by now and my HP laptop easily has more than 1,500X the capability and computing power of this 2nd generation computer (1st generation was generally considered to consist of relays).
    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    Enjoying life in Lehi, UT with my BB 9780 on ATT

Blkr da Berry no está en línea Stack level 5
    I remember when I used to be all up in here! What up folks, been awhile.
    "I'd be a fool to think that the gods aren't at work."
    ~Son or Ran

I agree Blkr.....and keeping on with the computer thoughts.....I had some friends who worked with me in the 70's that decided to quit their jobs and bought a franchise for a store called, "Computerland". They sold small desktop computers to individuals for personal use and some were also used commercially. This was at a time when the majority of computers out in the market place were "main frames". The general thought about these two entrepreneurs was that were crazy. Remember, there were no apps, no Internet and virtually no knowledge about computers in the marketplace. Most of us thought, at the time, that the only viable use for these "new-fangled gadgets" was to perhaps organize your recipes......what a change since then.....I really have to compliment these visionaries.

rifraf2009 no está en línea Stack level 4
    I remember when gas was .35 a gallon. When you ACTUALLY had to GET UP to change the TV channel. When kids used to ride in the back windows, or standing in the seats, or sitting in the middle on the arm rest, while their father drove 70mph taking them to Disney World. When cars were actually made out of steele and metal, instead of fiber glass and plastic. When playing OUTSIDE was all any kid wanted to do. And when "you wait till your father gets home" actually MEANT something!

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    I remember when, Mom used to send me to the store with maybe 2 or 4 dollars, I know it was lest than five, I was able to get everything on the list: Eggs, Butter, wonder bread (it was about two times the size we have now), two quarts of milk, Slab Bacon, and Orange Juice. And after all that I still have enough change to get me enough Penny Candy to give me a stomach before the sun went down. And we had to be home before the Street lights came on. Yup, I remember when I could go to the movies on 42nd Street in New York City and watch a Triple feature for $3.00 and didn't have to leave if you didn't want to - I remember when...

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf2009 View Post
    And when "you wait till your father gets home" actually MEANT something!
    That phrase inspired actual fear within me.....my dad believed in the old adage....."Spare the rod--spoil the child" so he tended to use the razor strop to convince me that for every action....there is a UN-equal reaction......anyhow, to counter that threat.....I would spend the next 15 minutes before he arrived home by placing 4 comic books between my cheeks and shorts......one Captain Marvel and one Superman on each side......hopefully the thickness of this dubious protection would prevail over my thoughts that these books were the "Kryptonite" that would prevent harsh strokes.....BTW....it really did work......

Yes the movies.....when I was a kid.....admission was 14 cents so two bits would allow admission to a double feature, news of the day, coming attractions and cartoon. After the admission fee, I had 11˘ to use.....I vacillated between the 10˘ box of popcorn or the two boxes of corn candy for a nickel each.....and.....still had the penny left for the penny snatcher machine that delivered a handful of peanuts......today......7 bucks is a bargain......and a large popcorn......about the same amount.

BlackCaviar no está en línea Stack level 3
    When I got my first cellphone in Key Largo,Fla
    Nokia

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCaviar View Post
    When I got my first cellphone in Key Largo,Fla
    Nokia
    Damn I remember my first celly too. Nokia... WITH THE SNAKE GAME!!! I know ya'll remember the snake game?!

Don't remember the snake game but have had about 3 Nokia phones.....only retired them when I discovered the 8300 Curve a few years ago.....good technology and I remember the FM radio my last Nokia had.....wish my 8900 had that.....

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Snake. What a game
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16

Don't remember Snake....but this poker game on my 8900 has worn out my track ball....

I remember when Hawaii 5-0 was not a rerun and Dano would tackle the bad guy.....

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    All the phone I wanted was a bb.
    Join the Lounge and relax and have fun
    http://forums.pinstack.com/f93/

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I remember the days when the 8100 pearl was the newest hipest BB out and only the kewl people had them instead of a brick.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!