Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dushdavj
  • 1 Post By dushdavj

It seems that as Delfim posted some time ago It's not possible to be board ... Stackers' Lounge forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

How have tech tools changed your life?

Advertisement

It seems that as Delfim posted some time ago It's not possible to be board anymore, our phones have games, can connect us to the web, we can read the news, find good places to eat etc. Add to that you have programs like Evernote, cloud services, social sites, we are always connected, life is more hectic yet people seem to know less, are more gullible, believe what they're told, vote according to their children's wishes. Makes me wonder where life is heading, some ways its good but in others it is so bad
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    You can say that again.
    It's the 'board' that got me though. You meant something else of course.
    Regarding fast and easy access to information, if this was used for the purpose of information only, it would be fine. Unfortunately it has substituted intelligence and the need to develop intelligence and know how. Today you don't need to know anything, just Google it. It's shameful. Even the schools don't teach anymore, teachers themselves are promoting the 'look it up and forget about it' attitude. Pedagogics has gone out the window. Basics are forgotten. It's a need to know, commercial exercise.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    You can say that again.
    Regarding fast and easy access to information, if this was used for the purpose of information only, it would be fine. Unfortunately it has substituted intelligence and the need to develop intelligence and know how. Today you don't need to know anything, just Google it. It's shameful. Even the schools don't teach anymore, teachers themselves are promoting the 'look it up and forget about it' attitude. Pedagogics has gone out the window. Basics are forgotten. It's a need to know, commercial exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    You can say that again.
    Yes and no. It may have weakened the mind and intellect of many, however in my life it has strengthened me greatly. Information at your fingertips - an "encyclopedia in your hand" if you will - for me has been something that has kept me informed and has completely organized study. For me (and i may be the exception?) these electronic gadgets and clouds and Operating Systems have induced my thought processes, not crippled them.

I know exceptions however - my daughter got great grades in her French class in high school and does not speak a single word of that language (thanks to Google's sms information service). But as I age (I turn 60 in three months) I find that I am growing intellectually and am informed especially when it comes to health/aging issues because of my Windows Phone/PlayBook/Computer. Yes, there's a lot of information out there that's bogus so I have to use the art of consensus to get to the facts. But the fact remains that I am growing and challenged because of this information at my fingertips . . . Just a thought, friends

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yiu are referring, of course, to our "age group"... I feel the same way, and use all today´s technology to full effect.
    The concern is with the young ones today, and the teenagers. Their intelligence is switched to tech and what it provides.
    Maybe this is all alright, and it´s us that want to absorb knowledge. They might be more criterious and absorb only what matters.
    That´s the trends I see daily.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Yes Delfim I must learn not to write things late at night and let the tech gadget complete the words for me, or of course I could be alluding to "boarding" trains or planes

Seriously though my business life has developed with technology moving from a computer that filled and required 3 people per shift to operate it with another person punching the cards to feed it. With everything that man invents there is a good and a bad side, from gunpowder to motor vehicles to combustion engines.

Even schooling, children are lucky today to have so much information at their fingertips, yet they should also be shown how to use libraries and appreciate books. I watch my daughter researching a paper and yes she uses the Internet but she also has 10 books open. The problem is can we survive without the technology. I know many technophobes who can't understand why I enjoy it, but for me it's the fact I have access to so much knowledge.
    Delfim likes this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Maybe children do not learn as we did but that doesn't mean it's wrong, to be able to use work and exploit computer systems is important to survive today. It also means more free time, maybe the children should be taught how to use their free time properly to appreciate what is around them and truly see rather than blankly look, to accept boredom, rather than playing video games, to enjoy a road trip rather than watch a video in the car.
    Delfim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Maybe children do not learn as we did but that doesn't mean it's wrong, to be able to use work and exploit computer systems is important to survive today. It also means more free time, maybe the children should be taught how to use their free time properly to appreciate what is around them and truly see rather than blankly look, to accept boredom, rather than playing video games, to enjoy a road trip rather than watch a video in the car.
    For example my 23 year old son - I used to get soooooo angry at him for spending so much time on computers and computer games when he was a kid, and now he has a computer programming job with a salary that blows me away.