Hey everyone, I know this has NOTHING to do with BB's but everyone here is ... Stackers' Lounge forum

BCoop8184 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32B12DA7

Home Networking

Advertisement

Hey everyone, I know this has NOTHING to do with BB's but everyone here is wicked good with computers I'm sure so I thought it was a good place to start. I have done a bit of research (by a bit I mean barely any) on home networking. I want to network 5 home computers, 4 laptops and a desktop, in my house. I have a linksys WRT54G wireless and comcast cable internet. The windows networking just isn't robust or easy enough. I am looking for some type of networking software that I can load on all five computers which will allow printer and file sharing. It would be great if I could just have a link on all of the desktops that will show all network available files/folders. Also, it would be great if it had an administrative feature for my laptop so I can view the whole network and monitor it, etc etc. Anyone know of such software? Thanks!

Also, I have a very tall house, as in three floors, so I have some deadspots. I have some extender antennas on my router, but I would like to upgrade. I have read that linksys has some more powerful routers (or I could hack the WRT54G). Anyone have any recommendations for an upgraded router that is nice and powerful. Most of the traffic on my home network would be web surfing (e-mail and cnndotcom and such) and VOIP calls (skype video calls). Any and all recommendations would be GREAT!

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Re: Home Networking

There is a new Router that you can get that will do the file and print sharing for you without having to do any kind of network software. That gets to be a hassle. For only 5 computers, I'd go that route first and see if it does what you're looking for. Its a Linksys router, but I don't remember the model. Best Buy will certainly have it.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    32B12DA7

the linksys WRT350N or the WRVS4400N?

DoubleM no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Visit www.tigerdirect.com.

I purchased two wireless routers; one for home and work. In both cases, I am running a D-Link with approx. 30,000 sqr ft of coverage. We running at min. 10 computers plus printer and Avaya phone system. Don't get me wrong Linksys makes a great product. Do more reseach and visit more stores. If you need help with the install hit me with a private mess.

PIN/ID
    32B12DA7

would you recommend the D Link DIR-655, DIR-660 or the DIR-855?

BigTNPapa no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2402F705

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)
    I have had three routers. Two linksys and one netgear. Avoid betgear like the plague

My most recent linksys is for n networks and is great. It petty much does all the work for you with its setup app that comes with it.

You do understand that you will need a printer that is wireless already, have your printer in the same place your router is to plug into the router, or attach a wireless print server so that the router can talk to the printer

Setting up a home network is easy if you just take your time. I have two desktops, two laptops, and a wireless printer on mine. Linksys is the best one in my opinion. It handles the traffic great and puts out strong enough signal to reach all areas of my home and probably a 100-150 foot foot radius outside my home. My router cost aroung 80 bucks at WAL*mart.

Good luck to ya!!