Ok I don't mean to rant so hard, (I am keeping this device despite my ... Stackers' Lounge forum

ricecakes619 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Help me! I'm not addicted yet! Wheres the crack in my Berry?

Advertisement

Ok I don't mean to rant so hard,

(I am keeping this device despite my grivences...err ok so I'm keeping the device because it's a present lol)

But I really need help easing into using this device. I converted from a SideKick 3 to the 8700g because I was tired of my side kick breaking all the time and the BB is a more mature device. I'm going through a quarter life crisis so i upgraded =P

Anyways I'm seriously annoyed by how hard it's been to set up things for it to run as well as a sidekick. After several false starts, upgrades, and surfing forums it took me a month (I'm a busy guy!) to finally get Opera and Ramble to work. The programs that came with the BB are severly lacking! It dosen't even show my complete buddy list!

So compared to the side kick:

Side Kick:

Pro:
    Ready out of box
    Ease of use
    Mp3 player
    SD Mini for extended memory.
    Chat is so NICE on this phone!
    Pretty interface.

Con:
    Extra programs and ringtones cost $$$
    Breaks easily!
    I'm tired of ghetto kids having my phone.

BlackBerry:

Pro
    Great if your company uses it. (I don't need that though)
    Java Programs FREE!
    Mp3 ringtones FREE!
    Use as modem FREE!
    Bluetooth
    Themes

Con

the 8700 looks WAY better than older blackberry's but it aint gonna win any beauty pagents soon.

Set up is buggy for 3rd party software. Some have more luck than others.

Don't have experience with device, I'll let you guys know when I break it. I'm kind of a power user when it comes to devices. I get a little extreme.

Browsing through programs slower than Side Kick

Short cuts, keyboard, and other commands not as intuitive as Side Kick. (it took me a week to figure out how to move the cursor around! alt+click wheel!!! wth?! give me a D-Pad!)

I KNOW there's more to this device than meets the eye. Otherwise it wouldn't be called crack berry! I'm biased from having a sidekick every since it came out as black and white, that's almost 5 years!

Please help me figure out more pros! I wanna feel cool with the BB crowd cause i'm too old for the side kick crowd!

Thanks!

jailbaitryan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E3AA4A
    Umm... It's small?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Umm give it time?
    I never used a sidekick, the only reason I never got one was because they were so darn HUGE! I know they've gotten smaller, but i needed something that fits in my pocket. I don't know how big the 8700 is but my pearl is perfect for my pocket. I've shown my friends with sidekicks my pearl and they are GREEN with envy!

I've also haven't had my BB for to long...18 days to be exact learning quickly and learning everyday. I hope it gets better, just keep floating around here, everyone in this forum is great and willing to help.

ricecakes619 no está en línea Stack level 1
    yeah you guys are a real nice group of people. From surfing the forum I can see how helpful everyone is. It's really encouraging.

Hmm well about the size thing, you're right. Lots of people said they wouldn't want it cause of the size. I'm the type of guy who where blazers every day so i have a coat pocket for my phone. In fact I have a coat pocket for two of my phones plus a PMP. (I got a tapwave!)

It's ok most likely... it's really me who has a problem and not the device. I just hear so much about people being glued to the thing but the sidekick is SO much easier to use.

Take AIM for example. Ramble IM dosen't let me view my buddy list the same way how the desktop will let me view AIM.Sidekick did it, and did it for all of the major chat programs.

I'm looking for the Ah ha moment where I get the crack. I want some crack! ^_^

SO i'm hoping there's a way I can connect my tapwave to the blackberry so I can have a closer to laptop browsing experience on the go.

crystalized no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    Alright- I have an 8700g from t-mobile and these BB's (especially the 8700g - speaking from xperience...lol) definatly have hidden tricks. As far as programs and such, ya I'll admit their a pain in the *** but I have an absolute blast customizing the hell outa it. I've made ALL my own ringtones and all my own Themes. I also have a hella selection when it comes to wallpapers also. It took me about a wk to learn how to type fast on it, but just using my thumbs I can type about 50 words a minute on it! Lol!!! That's one reason I didn't go to the pearl, I just LOVE the 'qwerty' (full) keyboard! I have BB messenger and the yahoo,msn,aol and icq chat program that was stock and they were fairly easy 2 install. I don't have much else for 3rd party software cause I can't find anything entertaining enuf for me, haha. A few things could be worked on tho such as being able to change your "idle screen", only some of the older BB models can do that and that sux about the 8700. Another thing that would b cool is their case and keypad color changes maybe. Another feature I'd like is to have a clear keyboard w/ blue lights inside, haha! Anyway, I've never owned a side-kick tho I've been a t-mobile customer for 3 yrs. now. I've had my 8700 since they were first released this past summer and just love it. It just takes time to get used to 'em. You'lll find the "crack" in ur berry soon enuf!! Lol!!!

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    I converted from a PPC where I had video players, Music player, picture viewer and and a nice large touch screen. Getting the 8700g was a bit of learning curve but the crack hit me when I was able to get email instantly (previously i had to connect via hotspot/wifi), the crack hit me again with google maps feature and albeit slowly but surely as Blackberry releases more upgrades I am getting more crack hits...lol.

Ramble is a free program so expect some issues, if chatting is must test out Yak-On, IM+ Chat and Verichat- yak is free, the others are free to try. (in addition you can chat via all IM clients like yahoo, msn, icq- with kick it was just aim)

A sidekick is a glorified AOL device. Berry's are much more powerful than you think, in addition you may not realize it but if you have any buddies with a kick- the minute they complain about a data outage or system crash or someone hacking in to their kick (which are frequent with kicks) you will feel that surge of "Crackness".

Just a side note- did you look into the 8100, which includes mp3/camera/video features and more?

When I first got my berry I didn't use my pc for 3 days forcing myself to really learn about my berry- recently I had an issue with my ISP and didn't have home internet access for a month- my berry got me thru it.

BLUEHEFNER no está en línea Stack level 3
    The 8100 is KING at least for now...but everything Peguero said was right on point...

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEHEFNER
    The 8100 is KING at least for now...but everything Peguero said was right on point...
    ARRRGGGhh PEARL SUCKS LMAO!

Check HERE

crystalized no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    I still think 8700 is better... I dunno... good and bad between both of the 8100 & 8700...

no full QWERTY keyboard on 8100...
    no mp3 player on 8700...
    options like a camera are useful to some and not to others...

depends on a persons preference...

sniggles no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    243C28A5
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    The only issue I had with the 8100 was the key size. If the keys were as large as they are on my 7100, this post wouldn't be here.

I'm hoping that a similar sized berry with the pearl's features will be available by the time I trade this one in, but I'm not holding my breath. Seems that the "smaller is better" mentality is here to stay.

514HH no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

crystalized.... You mentioned "I have BB messenger and the yahoo,msn,aol and icq chat program that was stock and they were fairly easy 2 install."

What MSN program do you have the was stock with the 8700?

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by ricecakes619
    Ok I don't mean to rant so hard,

(I am keeping this device despite my grivences...err ok so I'm keeping the device because it's a present lol)

But I really need help easing into using this device. I converted from a SideKick 3 to the 8700g because I was tired of my side kick breaking all the time and the BB is a more mature device. I'm going through a quarter life crisis so i upgraded =P

Anyways I'm seriously annoyed by how hard it's been to set up things for it to run as well as a sidekick. After several false starts, upgrades, and surfing forums it took me a month (I'm a busy guy!) to finally get Opera and Ramble to work. The programs that came with the BB are severly lacking! It dosen't even show my complete buddy list!

So compared to the side kick:

Side Kick:

Pro:
    Ready out of box
    Ease of use
    Mp3 player
    SD Mini for extended memory.
    Chat is so NICE on this phone!
    Pretty interface.

Con:
    Extra programs and ringtones cost $$$
    Breaks easily!
    I'm tired of ghetto kids having my phone.

BlackBerry:

Pro
    Great if your company uses it. (I don't need that though)
    Java Programs FREE!
    Mp3 ringtones FREE!
    Use as modem FREE!
    Bluetooth
    Themes

Con

the 8700 looks WAY better than older blackberry's but it aint gonna win any beauty pagents soon.

Set up is buggy for 3rd party software. Some have more luck than others.

Don't have experience with device, I'll let you guys know when I break it. I'm kind of a power user when it comes to devices. I get a little extreme.

Browsing through programs slower than Side Kick

Short cuts, keyboard, and other commands not as intuitive as Side Kick. (it took me a week to figure out how to move the cursor around! alt+click wheel!!! wth?! give me a D-Pad!)

I KNOW there's more to this device than meets the eye. Otherwise it wouldn't be called crack berry! I'm biased from having a sidekick every since it came out as black and white, that's almost 5 years!

Please help me figure out more pros! I wanna feel cool with the BB crowd cause i'm too old for the side kick crowd!

Thanks!
    Congratulations on your new blackberry. And, I say that sincerely even though your "Ghetto Kids" remark was pretty insensitive.

fiz_x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21a311e6

Re: Help me! I'm not addicted yet! Wheres the crack in my Berry?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well I forget who originally said it, but it was on this forum somewhere...sidekicks are toys and BB's are tools. And (until the pearl) its pretty much true! I own an 8700g on tmo and have loved everysecond of it! All the tools available to me at a moments glance make this device irreplacable to me! Also the fact that it is so full of features and still doesn't have any unnecasary features like cameras or stuff like that really helps me out! Its almost impossible to find a decent phone without a camera these days! (*on my knees* "please don't put a camera into the 8800! I really want one!")
    Also I learned that in the case of a disaster, blackberry PIN messaging will still work even if your carrier is down. A lesson learned during hurricane Katrina and made real to me during the earthquake we had here in hawaii a couple months ago. All power was out...all phone lines were clogged, the carriers were down cuz of too much traffic...but there I was happily chatting away in the dark while everyone else suffered !
    And last but not least....what other phone comes with a community as knowledgable and supportive as the Stacks?
    There's my 2 cents...sorry if it doesn't make any sense, its like 2 in the morning here and I've had a few...(Bellidansa can tell you about my drunken rants lol) oh wait! Welcome to the stacks BTW!

PIN/ID

Re: Help me! I'm not addicted yet! Wheres the crack in my Berry?

Quote Originally Posted by fiz_x
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well I forget who originally said it, but it was on this forum somewhere...sidekicks are toys and BB's are tools. And (until the pearl) its pretty much true! I own an 8700g on tmo and have loved everysecond of it! All the tools available to me at a moments glance make this device irreplacable to me! Also the fact that it is so full of features and still doesn't have any unnecasary features like cameras or stuff like that really helps me out! Its almost impossible to find a decent phone without a camera these days! (*on my knees* "please don't put a camera into the 8800! I really want one!")
    Also I learned that in the case of a disaster, blackberry PIN messaging will still work even if your carrier is down. A lesson learned during hurricane Katrina and made real to me during the earthquake we had here in hawaii a couple months ago. All power was out...all phone lines were clogged, the carriers were down cuz of too much traffic...but there I was happily chatting away in the dark while everyone else suffered !
    And last but not least....what other phone comes with a community as knowledgable and supportive as the Stacks?
    There's my 2 cents...sorry if it doesn't make any sense, its like 2 in the morning here and I've had a few...(Bellidansa can tell you about my drunken rants lol) oh wait! Welcome to the stacks BTW!
    BERRY Messenger still works even without carrier support??? DAMN!! thats awesome.