ok so i just moved into a new place and I have some extra money ... Stackers' Lounge forum

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

HDTV Help! Buying this week. need advice!

Advertisement

ok so i just moved into a new place and I have some extra money and im looking to buy a flat TV. this will be my first tv purchase ever hehe. i need some advice.

i will be mainly using it for video games, xbox 360. i will also be using it to watch either dvds on my xbox 360 or mpg xvid divx etc files froma thumb drive THRU my 360. the tuner will more than likely see minimal use

i plan to keep my living room dark, heavy drapes during the day and lights off at night. i will be sitting about 6-8 feet from the unit.

id like to spend as small amount of money as possible, while still getting a good set.

here are a couple i found in my area/online
    Panasonic TH42PZ80U Plasma HDTV - 42", 16:9, 3 x HDMI, 20000:1 Contrast Ratio, 1920 x 1080, 1080p, NTSC, ATSC, HDMI In - Circuit City has this for 979.00 i saw it and fell in love with it. then checked tiger direct and saw this price. i would love to see if circuit city can meet or beat that price since the circuit city store is closer to me.

Philips 42" Class Full-HD 1080p LCD HDTV, 42PFL3603D/F7 - this one looks like it would be nice, its a philips and is full hd 1080p, but is an LCD. i heard plasma's get blacker blacks and handle fast motion better. since id be playing alot of video games i assume the set would need to handle alot of fast motion. however, circuit city is going out of business, walmart is not. ill be going to see this set tonight after work...

i really dont feel like looking TOO much more for a tv, really id like help deciding between these 2 sets but. if anyone has input on a different set at comparable pricing please let me know.

thanks stackers!

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    I would stay away from any Plasma Tv for the reasons you've heard, as well as they are just completely out of style, and the maintenance will prove to be very costly. The Philips sounds nice, I on the other had prefer Sony Brivia, as for Fast Motion and whatnot, any Full HD 1080 will be able to handle any console games...

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    I would stay away from any Plasma Tv for the reasons you've heard, as well as they are just completely out of style, and the maintenance will prove to be very costly. The Philips sounds nice, I on the other had prefer Sony Brivia, as for Fast Motion and whatnot, any Full HD 1080 will be able to handle any console games...
    thanks for the input and, no offense but the reasons ive heard are what swayed me to plasma...

blackber blacks
    , truer colors
    fast motion handling

then there is outdated info such as screen burn in and just plain misinformation such as having to recharge/refill the plasma.

as far as it being out of style, the panasonic looked pretty stylish to me hehe.

im gonna check out the philips tonight and see if it can seduce me away from the panasonic

thanks again for the input...lets keep it coming
    Last edited by offthahorseceo; 02-09-2009 at 11:08 PM.

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Have a 42 Philips and its quite good. Its is a LCD but only HDready. Have had it over a year with no problems.
    ~via smartphone~

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via smartphone~
    Best Buy has great sale prices on LCDs this week.

Ajanthan no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31F8F87A
    Well its a personal preference, I would recommend LCS's though.
    PIN: 31F8F87A
    BlackBerry 8330
    V.4.5.0.163 (Platform V.3.4.0.51)

Everyone, Please add me to BBM again! NEW phone and PIN! :)

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    Why? I understand its a personal preference but you have to have a reason you prefer the lcd over plasma

Btw I decided on the plasma, ill be picking it up tomorrow afternoon from circuit city

~via blackberry (smartphone? Geez is anything safe?)~

mserica513 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    OOPS!
    LCD! Plasma have a tendacy to have images "burned" in them. you still have circuit city in your area? all the ones down here are closed, I cant even get to circuitycity.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Insert catchy phrase here..

Ajanthan no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31F8F87A
    Well for one, LCD is more passive on my eyes when I watch for a long period of time. Whilst plasma gives starts to give me a migraine after about an hour. And also as mserica513 is saying, plasma has the tendency to have images 'burnt' in them.

But that is just my opinion
    PIN: 31F8F87A
    BlackBerry 8330
    V.4.5.0.163 (Platform V.3.4.0.51)

Everyone, Please add me to BBM again! NEW phone and PIN! :)

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by offthahorseceo View Post
    Why? I understand its a personal preference but you have to have a reason you prefer the lcd over plasma

Btw I decided on the plasma, ill be picking it up tomorrow afternoon from circuit city

~via blackberry (smartphone? Geez is anything safe?)~

Just read up on this a bit Here