how many people have a GPS receiver for your car? I don't mean via your ... Stackers' Lounge forum

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

GPS units for the car

Advertisement

how many people have a GPS receiver for your car? I don't mean via your BlackBerry, just the regular unit. I'm looking at getting one and have been eyeing the TomTom GO510 (see them online for around $250) but wonder what else is a great purchase for the buck... any suggestions to look at?
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: GPS units for the car

cliff! why would you get another 'device' when you can get the reciever to work with your bb?

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

because the BB is too slow a device, and the TomTom I played with was very responsive. Just simply using BBM on it is sometimes slow (like when someone starts to type a reply and it says "x is typing a message" it gets really jerky for me until they hit send)

*edit: this is my 3rd pearl so starting to think it is not just my handheld but seems to be all of them
    Last edited by cliffr39; 04-12-2007 at 02:41 PM.

malcriado no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30505e13

actually if you want a brand new gps, the TOMTOM one, is 299.99, brand new. i just picked one up i'm just having a stupid hard time getting the tomtom one to access the data network with my pearl, they sync and all with the bluetooth but something is wrong when the tomtom tries to access thenet. (and i want it to access the net for traffic updates) and by the way last time i checked dell.com has the tomtom @ 269.99 but they are back ordered till the 18th

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have a Garmin 2820, a little more expensive than the ones you're looking at, but its also my XM radio and car MP3 player.
    I've had 3 Garmins and wholeheartedly recommend them. The maps are great, the graphics are great, and its really accurate.

The Nuvi line is reasonably priced and a good value.

onlindis10 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3019477D

I travel alot and wanted a bigger screen than my BlackBerry, I went with the Garmin C330 Street Pilot and loved it. It has great detail, easy to read while driving and light. Check out laptop magazine on the internet they did a test of 12 GPS units including TomTom and Garmin about a month ago.

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Thanks for all the tips, checking them out online and (one day soon lol) in stores to feel them out

rovermama no está en línea Stack level 2

I have an integrated touch screen nav/gps on my rover and I love it.
    We used a handheld in Boston a couple years ago with a rental car but I can't remember the model. I really liked it though and how small it was. It even still spoke to us and gave us audible directions.

I'm not that familiar with the handheld gps units, so I guess there's no point to my post afterall. lol Good luck finding one!