So show me your favorite songs, and the bands that covered them. Tell me if ... Stackers' Lounge forum

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Favorite Covers...

Advertisement

So show me your favorite songs, and the bands that covered them. Tell me if you like the original or the covers better...

A couple from me:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man Hands down, no one can touch the boys on this song. But several groups have done admirable covers. Most notably:

Shinedown. They actually recorded a lot of their first album at Muscle Shoals, the recording studio where Skynyrd did some of their best work. And the lead singer dated (married?) Ronnie Van Zant's only daughter (the baby you see him carrying in LS's video). He's got pipes that remind me of RVZ, too. Gotta be karma in there somewhere...

Deftones. They did a very nice job putting a twist on this song. thumbs up.

----------------

The Cure - Just Like Heaven Again, to me, nobody does it like the originals on this song. But a couple of good covers:

AFI - This one, actually, rocks! And I have to guess that Davey Havok was pretty pumped having Robert Smith in the audience as they performed this. Oh yeah, and DH looks much better here with the long hair than with his Decemberunderground Flock of Seagulls haircut.

Katie Melua - I always enjoy seeing artists do an acoustic version of any song. I wouldn't listen to this song if I'd just taken sleeping pills, but its a nice acoustic version.

----------------

Dio - Holy Diver. Okay, this is probably one song where I actually like the cover better than I like the original. Forgive me Ronnie James D. You are awesome, a true Rock God. You did an admirable job fronting Black Sabbath after Ozzy split town. But KSE eats this song up. And they do a great parody of your video, too.

Killswitch Engage. Howard just rocks the vocals on this. And the guitar work is very tight and kicks ssa! I had listened to some of their previous work, but this song definitely made me go back and give them another try. For a guy who hasn't been a huge fan of scream metal, thats pretty high praise. And Howard makes me think of Lawrence Fishburn in The Matrix in this video for some reason.

-----------------

Bob Dylan - Knockin' on Heaven's Door Probably one of the greatest rock songs ever written, by one of the greatest songwriters in Rock history. Unfortunately, I think he's also one of Rock's worst singers. Just about anyone could do this song better than he could. To wit:

Eric Clapton. Played on "Blackie". 'nuff said.

Guns N Roses. Takes me back to High School. Love GnR. Just not them doing this song. Axl at his narcissitic best.

Avril Lavigne. Someone please shoot the Producer that thought this was a good recording to release.

-----------------

Dave Loggins - Please Come To Boston One of the 70s soft rock pioneers. A great song. He does a great job.

Jackopierce. Trust me on this one, its a fabulous cover. Sorry there is only a 30 second crappy live clip on Youtube.

David Allen Coe. One of the few songs he recorded that you can play around your kids.

Kenny Chesney. Just posting this as proof that most of today's "New Nashville" singers can't sing a song when its not over produced to cover their utter lack of natural talent.

-----------------

Thats all for now...
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Ranz no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

Re: Favorite Covers...

nice one here

Johnny Cash - Hurt http://youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt http://youtube.com/watch?v=iFx2TmQfM-o

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    So show me your favorite songs, and the bands that covered them. Tell me if you like the original or the covers better...

A couple from me:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man Hands down, no one can touch the boys on this song. But several groups have done admirable covers. Most notably:

Shinedown. They actually recorded a lot of their first album at Muscle Shoals, the recording studio where Skynyrd did some of their best work. And the lead singer dated (married?) Ronnie Van Zant's only daughter (the baby you see him carrying in LS's video). He's got pipes that remind me of RVZ, too. Gotta be karma in there somewhere...

Deftones. They did a very nice job putting a twist on this song. thumbs up.

----------------

The Cure - Just Like Heaven Again, to me, nobody does it like the originals on this song. But a couple of good covers:

AFI - This one, actually, rocks! And I have to guess that Davey Havok was pretty pumped having Robert Smith in the audience as they performed this. Oh yeah, and DH looks much better here with the long hair than with his Decemberunderground Flock of Seagulls haircut.

Katie Melua - I always enjoy seeing artists do an acoustic version of any song. I wouldn't listen to this song if I'd just taken sleeping pills, but its a nice acoustic version.

----------------

Dio - Holy Diver. Okay, this is probably one song where I actually like the cover better than I like the original. Forgive me Ronnie James D. You are awesome, a true Rock God. You did an admirable job fronting Black Sabbath after Ozzy split town. But KSE eats this song up. And they do a great parody of your video, too.

Killswitch Engage. Howard just rocks the vocals on this. And the guitar work is very tight and kicks ssa! I had listened to some of their previous work, but this song definitely made me go back and give them another try. For a guy who hasn't been a huge fan of scream metal, thats pretty high praise. And Howard makes me think of Lawrence Fishburn in The Matrix in this video for some reason.

-----------------

Bob Dylan - Knockin' on Heaven's Door Probably one of the greatest rock songs ever written, by one of the greatest songwriters in Rock history. Unfortunately, I think he's also one of Rock's worst singers. Just about anyone could do this song better than he could. To wit:

Eric Clapton. Played on "Blackie". 'nuff said.

Guns N Roses. Takes me back to High School. Love GnR. Just not them doing this song. Axl at his narcissitic best.

Avril Lavigne. Someone please shoot the Producer that thought this was a good recording to release.

-----------------

Dave Loggins - Please Come To Boston One of the 70s soft rock pioneers. A great song. He does a great job.

Jackopierce. Trust me on this one, its a fabulous cover. Sorry there is only a 30 second crappy live clip on Youtube.

David Allen Coe. One of the few songs he recorded that you can play around your kids.

Kenny Chesney. Just posting this as proof that most of today's "New Nashville" singers can't sing a song when its not over produced to cover their utter lack of natural talent.

-----------------

Thats all for now...

Knockin' on Heaven's Door:

Sisters of Mercy :-)

But its most touching cover: Warren Zevon recorded it two months before he died. He knew he was going.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Re: Favorite Covers...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

"The Model" (Kraftwerk)

Great cover by Big Black
    --

"It's all over now, baby blue" (Bob Dylan)

No less than 15 covers...including Falco. Very good one by Bonnie Raitt. The best is by Courtney Love (Hole)
    --

"Hazy shade of winter" (Simon & Garfunkel)

The Bangles. Excellent.

--
    "Smells like teen spirit" (Nirvana)

Tori Amos. Superb.

[ Talk about hot redheads. Tasha and Tori 8-) ]
    --
    "Blinded by the light" (B. Springsteen)

Manfred Mann

--
    "Carmina Burana" (Karl Orff)

Ray Manzarek :-P

--
    "Romance in Durango" (B Dylan)

Fabrizio deAndre (in Italian)

Uh, you're right, last concert we were all thankful we already knew the lyrics :-P

Some people age - and play like gods: Jeff Beck

Others don't: Jimmy Page.
    /Paige?/