does anyone think thhis show is ridiculous? a few weeks ago i saw an episode ... Stackers' Lounge forum

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

Extreme Makeover Home Edition - opinions

Advertisement

does anyone think thhis show is ridiculous?

a few weeks ago i saw an episode where a family had taken 2 or 3 kids in, the mom had gotten murdered along with the boyfriend. they had a huge house as it was and instead of adding on to it they tore it down completely and built a new one.

the crying was super fake.

not only that but growing up a 2 bedroom trailer housed 9 of us. im sure there are still people out there in that situation. Instead they take a perfectly good house, spend money to demolish it, then spend even more to completely rebuild it. and its supposed to be a sob story

anyone agree?

am i gonna get flamed?
    Last edited by offthahorseceo; 12-17-2007 at 06:50 PM.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Re: Extremem Makeover Home Edition - opinions

Yeah, the melodrama is a little thick on the show. Yeah, its mostly about product placement and being voyeuristic about someone's life for an hour.

But at the end of the day, some rich corporation (or several, in this case) got together to build someone a new house. While there is an element of it thats self-serving for the corporation, an underprivileged family benefits from it. Its not like its a celebrity past his prime trying to revive his career by letting us see how screwed up his family life is or anything ridiculous like that. Or a rich white guy who was born rich trying to convince us that he knows something about being a businessman.

An upcoming episode will be about a family of an Army Seargant that is about to deploy to Iraq again. They live about 45 minutes from here. No complaints from me that a serviceman's family is taken care of while he's deployed.

But yeah, the rest of the reality show crapola surrounding it pretty much sucks.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

i understand your opinion of that, but for the most part, the families they "help" are not underpriviledged. for example in the episode i mentioned, the house had been renovated a few months (maybe a year or two) back. so its not like they are in such dire need of money that the house is falling apart.

i could see if they took a family of five, living in a trailer, who worked hard and whose kids got good grades, they just struggled everyday to make ends meet. that would be different

but i see them helping the rich stay rich. or maybe the well off stay well off

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

The way I understand that show to work, you have to be in pretty bad shape financially, suffered a loss in the family, or some other heart rending "feel good moment" storyline. Rich dudes building houses for rich dudes doesn't make for good ratings.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    My gf's mom watches it. I have to hold my feelings in as they reiterate the "problems" they are facing and they try so hard to cry.next time you watch it view it from a view of this show was produced,instead of engrossing yourself in the story (not that you do just sayin).

You'll notice so many fake tearjerkers etc etc that are like "oh please" to me. But maybe its just me

sadie84 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask

I just think it's funny that they give a huge family with only one person working 3 jobs and still not making it in the shack they're in now (guessing here) a huge house with 5 bedrooms 7 bathrooms and a pool with waterfall feature but don't think of how the heck they're going to pay for the water and light bill

*shrug*

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

tru ive thought about it that way too. which is why it would be best to put them in a modest house. but modest homes dont equal ratings

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Quote Originally Posted by sadie84 View Post
    I just think it's funny that they give a huge family with only one person working 3 jobs and still not making it in the shack they're in now (guessing here) a huge house with 5 bedrooms 7 bathrooms and a pool with waterfall feature but don't think of how the heck they're going to pay for the water and light bill

*shrug*

If you ask me, they will sell it

switters no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319E3227

They actually can't sell the house for 3 years ... it's in a contract the family has to sign before anything happens.

I live in Bridgeport and they built a house for a family here and I'll just say that the family was really poor and I'm certain they're better off in the new house.
    That being said, the property taxes here are astronomical and the families tax bill alone had to increase by 700% to 800%, not to mention the rest of the bills. That coupled with the fact that it was built in the 'hood (it's one of the worst neighborhoods in the city) makes this whole show preposterous to me.
    My boy and I went past there the other night and there was graf all over the side of the house. Like 3 pieces that someone spent some time on.

That and I can't stand the host ... Ty Pennington(c'mon) YELLING constantly.

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5

^^ I remember reading on jumptheshark.com that (don't know how true it is) about similar situations with neighbors who lived around these newly constructed McMansions. I always wondered if these families took care of the new house, could afford it, etc. Why can't these builders just build a reasonable looking and functioning home for these people?

gitchies no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Agreed...just think if they built more houses for more people instead of these huge houses..they need to spread the wealth evenly, then we'd have less homeless people..my .02 cents