Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Originally Posted by tgeekb I think we have to differentiate between the professional world and ... Stackers' Lounge forum

Stonebreeze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

Re: Engrish

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb
    I think we have to differentiate between the professional world and online forums. We certainly need to attempt to convey our messages clearly when asking questions on this, or any, forum to make it easier for those attempting to help. On the other hand, being perfect grammatically is only necessary in the professional world where it is expected. I do find some of the slang or IM lamguage difficult at times since it is not very familiar to me. We don't want to make this forum so strict that people don't want to contribute, it's supposed to be fun. That being said, make your statements clear for all to understand.
    I disagree tgeekb, If it is worth doing then it's worth doing right or in other words if it is worth posting then it is worth posting using good grammar and english. I may not have perfect grammar or spelling skills but I agree with the rest of the group that an attempt at writing clear and coherent posts is needed (key word here....attempt). I think the stackers that are referred to in this post donot even make an attempt. If people don't follow commonly accepted rules when commnicating then the bastardization of our language will only get worse.

Again, just my .02,
    BRZ

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

ok, so i haven't bothered to read everything in here, but im just going to jump in...

it is the responsibility of the adult posting to use proper engrish. typos are ok - when you are in a hurry. its grammar and spelling that get on MY nerves!!!! ya'll!! anyone out there try to have a conversation with a 12 year old? i correct my son and daughter on a daily basis. it drives me crazy to talk to someone who can't use proper grammar. i work with adults that don't use grammar correctly and i correct them.

Stonebreeze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

Way to hold the line Cherri!

Abrcrmbskier no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23FC990F

Quote Originally Posted by tkgeekwill
    Mis-spellings.

(I probably spelt something wrong in here, but I don't care)
    The juxtaposition is KILLING me...haha!-Aber

PIN/ID
    ATA

Aber - you make mom's proud!

now, your 'internet/chat' lingo confuses me sometimes, but all in all...

Abrcrmbskier no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23FC990F

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    Aber - you make mom's proud!

now, your 'internet/chat' lingo confuses me sometimes, but all in all...
    What internet/chat lingo? You mean all the typo's while im on my bb?

hehe -Aber

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

I have to admit, poor grammar drives me crazy too but I don't have a problem reading 99% of the posts here on the stacks. We have to consider the large diversity of our population. Not only the geographical differences but also social differences. The Blackberry hobby is for everyone, not just those who speak perfect english.

Now, I actually believe that technology has led to this decline in grammar. Our lives have become faster and people do not take the time to learn things as they did before. Texting is a perfect example. It's speed of delivery is wonderful but it has develped a new language which lends itself to poor grammar. I guess I'm saying it's something we have to partially learn to live with though I would hate to see our language decline too far. It's an interesting subject.

littlemojo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2509fd64

Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb
    I have to admit, poor grammar drives me crazy too but I don't have a problem reading 99% of the posts here on the stacks. We have to consider the large diversity of our population. Not only the geographical differences but also social differences. The Blackberry hobby is for everyone, not just those who speak perfect english.

Now, I actually believe that technology has led to this decline in grammar. Our lives have become faster and people do not take the time to learn things as they did before. Texting is a perfect example. It's speed of delivery is wonderful but it has develped a new language which lends itself to poor grammar. I guess I'm saying it's something we have to partially learn to live with though I would hate to see our language decline too far. It's an interesting subject.
    well said
    Death is only the beginning

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

The English language has been evolving for centuries, so why stop now !!

The Oxford English dictionary adds many new words every year.

Shortened "Texting" Words may, and probably will become the norm. I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

After all we are not all going about speaking " middle ages" english,

I apologise for any spelling or grammatical errors. (not)

Personally I would rather communicate freely with people, rather than pick the bones out of how they do it.

Gaz
    Last edited by gazar; 04-11-2007 at 08:31 AM.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Quote Originally Posted by gazar

Shortened "Texting" Words may, and probably will become the norm. I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Personally I would rather communicate freely with people, rather than pick the bones out of how they do it.

Gaz
    That's true Gaz. You know, it reminds me of those who can speak multiple languages. They could just stick to their language and ignore others but they have the ability to communicate with a larger population and I say good for them.

PIN/ID
    ATA

Quote Originally Posted by gazar

Gaz
    holy moly!
    that's the first post i have EVER fully understood by GAZ! LMAO!
    i knew you had it in ya

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    holy moly!
    that's the first post i have EVER fully understood by GAZ! LMAO!
    i knew you had it in ya
    Its the first one I have ever written sober !! LOL

Gaz

theriddler2k no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EADE14

At the end of the day, there are more important things in life to get pi**ed about.
    I don't know what I said, but I know what I think,
    and, well, I assume it's what I said.

TanBucsFan no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

I think people sweat the small stuff too much. Yes bad grammar annoys me. People who type like ThIz annoy me. But like theriddler said, at the end of the day there are much more important things to get upset about.

Like sending more troops over to Iraq...or extending deployments from 12 to 15 months...that is of much more interest to me than how some of ya'll type.

rovermama no está en línea Stack level 2

I am able to decipher the posts on here, but my biggest pet peeves are when people use "u" instead of "you," "ur" for "your" or "you're," etc. It also makes me want to stick hot pokers in my eyes when I see an apostrophe used to make a word plural!!! lol It's "posts" not "post's."

I refuse to use the texting shortcuts while texting or emailing, even when I had a multitap razr. I get on to my husband for it especially now that we have the suretype BBs. There's no excuse now! haha

That said...I know I don't have perfect spelling and grammar. I also know and accept that coming to a world wide public forum it's something I have to choose to accept and ignore or not come here at all if I'm going to let it aggrivate me that much. Given all the useful information I've learned for my BB I choose the former.

Just my $0.02!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123