Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by tkgeekwill Lack, or complete disregard of the "." key. Inappropriate use of ... Stackers' Lounge forum

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Re: Engrish

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tkgeekwill
    Lack, or complete disregard of the "." key.
    Inappropriate use of emoticons.
    No seperation of sentences.
    The idea of paragraphs seems to have been left in bizzarro world.
    Random letters (Where's the ".")
    Mis-spellings.
    Blatant use of slang. Including made up slang.

I'm in no way perfect, I'll often spell things incorrectly, but I try to get my point accross in a coherent manner rather than a random string of characters that I can only understand.
    No ones expecting perfection - but when the point of your email is incorrect grammer and spelling - leading by example helps.

In all seriousness - the point was taken - I try to be conscience of my spelling when I post things, but at the same time - the hardest stuff to proof read is things you write yourself...

And not for nothing - but you might as well start a thread telling people to stop asking stupid questions, because the probability of that happening on a public, non-formal forum, is about the same as getting gramatically correct threads.

(I think I spelled probability wrong, but since I don't see a spell check here, I can't say for sure).
    Last edited by hls811; 04-05-2007 at 05:07 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

wankim no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A085F7

As a non-native speaker of English, I agree with the spirit of the original person starting this thread. And I agree that I am guilty of it myself. However, the lack of proper English skills (for native or almost-native English speakers in the US) propogates through not only online forums, but through the business community as well.

I work for a $48 billion company; and every day I see messages and publications that make me wonder whether they used the basic "spell check" option on Microsoft Word before hitting the "Print" or "Send" button. That said, people have come to accept poor English as a way of communicating. I actually hold my employees accountable for "proper communication" for their performance reviews. Every e-mail, report, etc. that they produce with errors is logged and brought to their attention.

As for schools, many of them make the problem worse. It's been a while since I've been in secondary school, but judging from some of the literary works of crap my nephew has to sift through, it's no wonder that we have more visual signage rather than written signs. The net effect is that poor education leads to poor performance which leads to poor "real-world" acceptance of poor skills. Look in your local (or national) news publications and I'm sure you'll be able to find numerous examples of incorrect grammar usage.

Just my $0.02...

Stonebreeze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

Quote Originally Posted by tkgeekwill
    This thread is not directed to those from other countries, or those who have a native language other than english. It is pretty easy to differentiate between those posting who natively speak different languages. For the most part, those folks seem to have a better grasp than those from the US, UK, Canada...

I read some of the general threads on here asking for help, and it seems like a child wrote them. There is little to no punctuation (not even enough to make sense of what they are trying to convey).

I understand that some people are posting from they're mobiles. I also understand that people on the internet prefer to use abbreviations, but some people seem to have they're own language.

I will not point out any threads in specific, but there was one in particular yesterday where the poster must have had a keyboard that was missing most of it's keys.

I'm in no way perfect, I'll often spell things incorrectly, but I try to get my point accross in a coherent manner rather than a random string of characters that I can only understand.
    I agree in theory as communication is the glue that holds our society together but, one should not throw stones if they live in glass houses! FYI -it's THEIR not they're.

I do agree with your last sentence. An attempt at clear and coherent communication is always appreciated in my book.

just my .02,
    BRZ
    Last edited by Stonebreeze; 04-05-2007 at 06:00 PM.

tkgeekwill no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F5F200

I know I have grammatical errors in my posts. And that is something I don't worry about. I suck at conveying the english language in written form, but at least people can understand what I am saying.

Like I said, I'm not a saint.
    Smartphone Reviews-

Technophobia

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

The ironic part is, the people who really butcher the language; the ones you're intending this to be for - probably can't read well enough to know what you said!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

We all make mistakes, in any shape, form, matter.(hmm shape, form, matter? or shape, form or way?) haha.

I have to admit, i am not that great with my grammar and all that. With that reason, i am not a Journalism major anymore. hahaha

tkgeekwill no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F5F200

Quote Originally Posted by xtasyboi_00
    We all make mistakes, in any shape, form, matter.(hmm shape, form, matter? or shape, form or way?) haha.

I have to admit, i am not that great with my grammar and all that. With that reason, i am not a Journalism major anymore. hahaha
    Neither am I. But, you don't have to read what I post twice or more to understand.
    Smartphone Reviews-

Technophobia

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

I think we have to differentiate between the professional world and online forums. We certainly need to attempt to convey our messages clearly when asking questions on this, or any, forum to make it easier for those attempting to help. On the other hand, being perfect grammatically is only necessary in the professional world where it is expected. I do find some of the slang or IM lamguage difficult at times since it is not very familiar to me. We don't want to make this forum so strict that people don't want to contribute, it's supposed to be fun. That being said, make your statements clear for all to understand.

theriddler2k no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EADE14

@ HeyMrRadio...

LOL. Good one.
    I don't know what I said, but I know what I think,
    and, well, I assume it's what I said.

onlindis10 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3019477D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~We also use a lot of acronyms that others trying to read a particular communication may not understand. I realize they came into being with text messaging but that doesn't imply that everyone appreciates their meaning.

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

I text message but I don't abbreviate my words since I use the suretype.

Ruminator no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d2215a

Whut?

littlemojo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2509fd64

lol sorry i had to laugh but this topic gave me a smile all day.
    i see the point of this and i know how it can be annoying but in the end if someone on the stacks can read the post and reply to it, its done its job in the end.
    but still a good point in the end anyway. if theres anything else that annoys you would love to hear about it.
    ( i have a feeling there will be )
    Death is only the beginning

HeyMrRadio no está en línea Themes Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~But what about in the end? Lol.

littlemojo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2509fd64

well in the end. there will be something more to complain about
    Death is only the beginning

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast