Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

I feel the need to vent. After posting on this forum, I cannot take it ... Stackers' Lounge forum

  1. #1
    tkgeekwill's Avatar
    tkgeekwill no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    23F5F200
    Posts
    69

    Engrish

    Advertisement



    I feel the need to vent.

    After posting on this forum, I cannot take it any longer, and I don't care if I come across as a grammar nazi.

    This forum is for people Using or supporting Blackberry devices. These people should, theoritically, know how to use the english language in an effective and understandable way. However, this is apparently not so. Comparing many of the posts on this site to those from a Celica forum (Which would be commonly filled with Teens and the like), people here are horrendous.

    I understand that many people post from they're devices. Although, most of the posts I am explicitly referencing are not being posted via WAP. I also understand the language that has become commonplace on teh interwebs, and most people fail to use that appropriately.

    Some of the main offenses I see include:

    Lack, or complete disregard of the "." key.
    Inappropriate use of emoticons.
    No seperation of sentences.
    The idea of paragraphs seems to have been left in bizzarro world.
    Random letters
    Mis-spellings.
    Blatant use of slang. Including made up slang.

    There are more.

    I will not point fingers, but I am pretty sure I am not the only one on here that has a problem with it.

    Thanks for listening.

    (I probably spelt something wrong in here, but I don't care)
    Smartphone Reviews-

    Technophobia

  2. #2
    HeyMrRadio's Avatar
    HeyMrRadio no está en línea Themes Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,290

    Re: Engrish

    This thread is truley amusing maily because it holds so very true. Let me say that eye caught all of the mispellings included above and they are brilliant. There is on poster en particular that is very, very attractive but my crush on her quickly died when I noticed her lack of grammar skills. One would assume that being a blackberry forum, these commin mistakes would be avoided. Oh well. Xcellent post.

  3. #3
    StaceyRVC's Avatar
    StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Posts
    9,321

    Re: Engrish

    I must agree with you also. I know for a fact at certain times I, myself am a culprit. The thing that drives me crazy at times is in blackberry messenger and people are saying stuff that I don't have a clue what it means. I seem to run into this alot on here and almost anywhere else on the internet. It is as if the teachings that we were taught as children has well, gone down the drain.

  4. #4
    reddog187's Avatar
    reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Posts
    8,907

    Re: Engrish

    What? I not spreak engrish! Me do well? LOL!!

    Sorry, had to do it.

    I do agree though. Some threads I can never follow correctly. The whole run on paragraph with acronymns thrown in. UGH.

  5. #5
    tkgeekwill's Avatar
    tkgeekwill no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    23F5F200
    Posts
    69

    Re: Engrish

    I really don't want to seem like an a-hole, but jeez, is it that hard?

    I have been on ton's of forums, everything from Tech, Education, Gaming, Support, Cars... but some of the people on here seem to have either qwerty tourette's or just can't speak english.
    Smartphone Reviews-

    Technophobia

  6. #6
    EricaJ1073's Avatar
    EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,420

    Re: Engrish

    I understand what you're saying. I don't want to offend you but I have a serious question: What about those people who are learning English as a second language? I know there are people on this forum that are learning English (for example, we have people who are from a foreign country, or who are Deaf and use sign language as their native language) and they have problems with using English.


  7. #7
    reddog187's Avatar
    reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Posts
    8,907

    Re: Engrish

    Quote Originally Posted by tkgeekwill
    I really don't want to seem like an a-hole, but jeez, is it that hard?

    I have been on ton's of forums, everything from Tech, Education, Gaming, Support, Cars... but some of the people on here seem to have either qwerty tourette's or just can't speak english.
    It's hard for the ones using it as a second language, Like Erica said. If it's not your second language then, you're not asking that much. I'm awful at writing and english was never my favorite subject, but I manage to get by. It's just people being lazy. Bad habits I guess.

  8. #8
    StaceyRVC's Avatar
    StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Posts
    9,321

    Re: Engrish

    Bad habits due to technology. It's kind of crazy that the internet can change the english (usa) language

  9. #9
    I7oobie's Avatar
    I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,563

    Re: Engrish

    Well, personaly, this thing we are on IS called a WORLD wide web... Also, Let's not get it wrong, that Blackberrys are sold AROUND THE WORLD... I'm sorry, but I think if I were to go into a mostly French speaking forum, to ask about crepes for example, my French might be a little "rough".

    Furthermore,


    Deal with it...
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

  10. #10
    StaceyRVC's Avatar
    StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Posts
    9,321

    Re: Engrish

    Quote Originally Posted by I7oobie
    Well, personaly, this thing we are on IS called a WORLD wide web... Also, Let's not get it wrong, that Blackberrys are sold AROUND THE WORLD... I'm sorry, but I think if I were to go into a mostly French speaking forum, to ask about crepes for example, my French might be a little "rough".

    Furthermore,


    Deal with it...
    We aren't talkin about people that don't speak english.. We are talking about people that went to school in the US and speak like they have never been to "school"

  11. #11
    reddog187's Avatar
    reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Posts
    8,907

    Re: Engrish

    I don't think this thread is directed towards people using English as a second language and I don't think it was meant to be offensive.

    Being an immigrant myself and having two languages in the home, I know quite a bit about broken Engrish.

  12. #12
    EricaJ1073's Avatar
    EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,420

    Re: Engrish

    Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure if he meant those who use English as a second language.

    I was gonna get a little upset because I have a friend on my BB Messenger list who is Deaf and sometimes I have to ask him to repeat things (or I repeat it in English word order back to him for clarity) because his first language is American Sign Language. He has a a habit of writing in ASL word order which is completely different from English.

    LOL by the way, I hope he reads this and finds out my BB crapped out


  13. #13
    xtasyboi_00's Avatar
    xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    PM
    Posts
    1,325

    Re: Engrish

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

    Well, forums aren't formal email or email to your corporate head right?

    I am sorry but sometimes, Mr. and Ms. Perfecto gets on my nerves.There are some people that suck on grammar;I must admit I'm one of them.

    I am not that anal and will never be, that I have to spell check my post here.. That would be ridiculous, it is only a Blackberry forum. What is so significant about perfecting your grammar and punctuations?

    In addition, this forum is pretty much used by people from other parts of the world. Assuming, those people aren't that great with the English language at all!

    I mean come on, nothing against this, but to others its offensive. We are here to talk about Blackberry and something close to that.

    Sorry dude, I guess, at some point I have f-d up my post. And I felt like you're pertaining to me haha. Guilty here boss.

    You're free to read my threads I started and could you get back at me? I like to be criticized by you TKGEEKWILL.

  14. #14
    tkgeekwill's Avatar
    tkgeekwill no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    23F5F200
    Posts
    69

    Re: Engrish

    This thread is not directed to those from other countries, or those who have a native language other than english. It is pretty easy to differentiate between those posting who natively speak different languages. For the most part, those folks seem to have a better grasp than those from the US, UK, Canada...

    I read some of the general threads on here asking for help, and it seems like a child wrote them. There is little to no punctuation (not even enough to make sense of what they are trying to convey).

    I understand that some people are posting from they're mobiles. I also understand that people on the internet prefer to use abbreviations, but some people seem to have they're own language.

    I will not point out any threads in specific, but there was one in particular yesterday where the poster must have had a keyboard that was missing most of it's keys.

    I'm in no way perfect, I'll often spell things incorrectly, but I try to get my point accross in a coherent manner rather than a random string of characters that I can only understand.
    Smartphone Reviews-

    Technophobia

  15. #15
    I7oobie's Avatar
    I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,563

    Thumbs up Re: Engrish

    Quote Originally Posted by tkgeekwill
    This thread is not directed to those from other countries, or those who have a native language other than english. It is pretty easy to differentiate between those posting who natively speak different languages. For the most part, those folks seem to have a better grasp than those from the US, UK, Canada...

    I read some of the general threads on here asking for help, and it seems like a child wrote them. There is little to no punctuation (not even enough to make sense of what they are trying to convey).

    I understand that some people are posting from they're mobiles. I also understand that people on the internet prefer to use abbreviations, but some people seem to have they're own language.

    I will not point out any threads in specific, but there was one in particular yesterday where the poster must have had a keyboard that was missing most of it's keys.

    I'm in no way perfect, I'll often spell things incorrectly, but I try to get my point accross in a coherent manner rather than a random string of characters that I can only understand.
    Let's just nevermind the crazy Pro, who had one too many before stacking last night!
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •