Bob Dylan is perhaps one of the most gifted songwriters of any generation, in my ... Stackers' Lounge forum

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Dylan: His songs or his voice?

Advertisement

Bob Dylan is perhaps one of the most gifted songwriters of any generation, in my opinion. His songs have influenced his peers and generations of bands and musicians that have followed.

His voice, however, to me, sounds like a herd of cats being run over by a steamroller.

I much prefer to hear his songs performed by other Artists.

What do you think about his talents? Singer and Songwriter? Or leave the singing for someone else...

Some of my personal favorites:

Sam Bush: Girl from the North Country
    Jimi Hendrix or DMB: All Along the Watchtower
    Old Crow Medicine Show: Wagon Wheel
    Eric Clapton: Knockin on Heaven's Door (Eff no, not the GnR version. Although I love my GnR)
    Last edited by LaTuFu; 12-26-2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: How could I forget Clapton?
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

oheckno no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31E75692

Re: Dylan: His songs or his voice?

It kinda sounds like his lower lip is stuck out further than his top..and he's just making noise, if you even get that.

He's got his own style. I may even add some of his songs on my iPod now. His Someday Baby song sounds a bit scary though I must say..
    “Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave.”
    -Winnie The Pooh

green no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask

I like Bobs voice, thats what makes him unique...Hey LTF, you have to check out Warren Zevons last CD he did before he died..Excitable Boy. It's awesome. If you like Dylan, you'll love this.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Yeah, I've checked it out. I like Warren (RIP)

Thanks for the heads up too!
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

I agree, he's a great songwriter, but his playing and singing ability is blegh. I'd rather he people cover his tunes

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

BTW, in his concert a few months ago we all said, good thing we KNOW the lyrics of his songs

I've written in the past about "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue". Excellent cover by Bonnie Raitt [ ], and a superb one by Hole.

deepdish no está en línea Stack level 6

Blah. everyone knows that the top 3 songwriters in history is McCartney, Lennon and Croce

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Croce... maybe, if I could put time in a bottle.

Otherwise I just might have to consider Leonard Cohen, Harry Chapin, David Bowie, Georges Brassens, Jacques Brel, Fabrizio de Andre, Roberto Vecchioni...

deepdish no está en línea Stack level 6

david bowe? you might as well add Vanilla Ice to that list.

snybole no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by gkast1 View Post
    BTW, in his concert a few months ago we all said, good thing we KNOW the lyrics of his songs

I've written in the past about "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue". Excellent cover by Bonnie Raitt [ ], and a superb one by Hole.
    I agree, I saw him in sweden and I'm afraid I have to say I was pretty disapointed. And another sad thing was that he was "freestyling" a bit too much, sometimes I didn't even recognize the songs before it was halfways into the song.

But dyland is a great songwriter, and his albums is a must have in itunes :-)