Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eventually, I'd like to get a dog. But, not from a pet store or animal ... Stackers' Lounge forum

VanillaEps no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A2F5CD

Dogs

Advertisement

Eventually, I'd like to get a dog. But, not from a pet store or animal shelter. I'd prefer a pure bred dog from a breeder that I can trust. I'm not overly familiar with dogs and their temperments across breeds.

I've been researching German Shepherds, Pitbulls, Dobermans, and Cockerspaniels.

Can the stackers provide suggestions, stories, and experiences with their dogs, temperments, and why they chose their particular doggy.

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Dogs

that a wide variety of dogs that you've listed there lol. i'll start by giving you some basics on each breed....

1. german shephards. you couldn't ask for a better guard dog. these dogs are extremly loyal and protective, and very easry to train. an excellent choice in breeds. one thinig to remember though with this breed, if you don't train them and keep up with the training their whole lives, they do get a little out of control. they will chew on things, run around, and just generally be nuts lol. but if they are trained properly, that shouldn't be a issue. hair is another issue to think about with this breed, as they do shed.

2. putbulls. i am a huge fan of pits, and in fact my next dog is going to be a pit. these dogs god a very bad reputation from idiots that train them to fight and the media who appear to be on a hate campaign against them telling the ignorant masses about how evil these dogs are. in reality, pits are a great breed. they are very loyal and protective, great with kids, and awesome pets. i have many friends with these and have been around them for a number of years, and i have NEVER seen or heard of a single incident where they bit or attacked anyone. i hear a lot of "well you just can't trust them"...well why not? people don't realize that they are more likely to get bit by a lab or a retreiver than a pit, and have fed into the media's hatrid of them. they are another breed though that needs to be trained from a young age or they get a little wild. this is a very playful breed, and being as big and strong as they are they will break things if not trained to do so. they also are chewers lol.

3. dobermans. again, another excelent guard dog. not my favorite breed, as i have found them to be on the less affectionate side and i prefer a mush of a dog. they are great pets though and are very loyal. training again is necessary.

4. cockerspaniel. a great lap dog. these are much smaller thant he others and do not have the protective instincts like the others. they are fun dogs, beautiful as well. they have long hair though that needs to be brushed frequently to keep from matting and grooming is necessary (and a added cost). they are a reall fun breed though. very energetic and loves to play, they are great with kids and a good all around family dog.

overall you have some good choices there. i would honestly re-think about getting a dog from a shelter (not from a pet store, those are the worst. very inbred and drugged usually). shelter dogs you are giving a new chance on life, and you get them much cheaper. you very often will get mutts there, which many will tell you are better than pure bred dogs. they are less likely to have behavioral probelms as well as genetic health problems. pure breds very often suffer from inheritable genetic issues as the gene pool gets smaller and smaller. this is the major issue with labs today, and part of why it's not a good idea to get one. they actually are starting to show major bahvioral issues and health problems (hips mostly). a friend of mine's pit actually got attacked by a chocolate lab in a pet store (of course the pit got blamed even though i don't think he would know how to bite someone even if he needed to lol).

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

my .02 I have a border collie mix.
    Very smart and because of the herding breed she is incredible with kids, one moment wrestling with me, I play hard and she knows how hard to bite.
    The next minute letting me know that the kids out in the complex she knows are crying and upset, this with a sliding door closed.
    Her temperament is awesome and she will not stray more than 100 yards and always has line of sight with me.
    see pics
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...3&d=1178455616
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...4&d=1178455616
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

I have a chow chow mixed with a little German Sheppard and not sure what else... she is a wonderful dog. Very smart, and caring.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

TanBucsFan no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

If you like Pit's (I've owned 2 they're great dogs) also look at an AmStaf (American Staffordshire Terrier) they are great family dogs!

Lab's make great pets as well, very loyal dogs.

But there is nothing wrong with getting a "shelter" dog. They need homes as well. You can also try the hundreds of "resuce" shelters which advertise online the dogs they have which were resuced from abusive homes or found on the streets. My aunt and uncle got all 3 of their Weimaraner's that way and they were wonderdul dogs.

Good luck!

Natasha no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ASK NICE

You are probably set on those breeds however I must suggest you also look at the Australian Shepherd...

These dogs are easily trained and are very good with children and other animals... They are very loyal and do not stray away...I have a five year old Australian Shepherd named Chewbacca that I have never used a leash on, however he does really well when I do need to use a leash.

Chewy loves the water and goes with me everywhere...He loves to be outdoors and is also content being indoors vegging in front of the tube...He thinks he's human!

I have trained him to do numourous pointless tricks (one that includes hitting a door stopper over and over when he hears someone score in the hockey game on tv...very useful when I'm in the washroom and miss the goal...he's there to tell me...a real party pleaser too!)

The only negative I would say is that he loses hair...but it's in clumps so I don't mind so much.

Let us know what kind of Dog you decide on...Good luck!

PIN/ID
    24A2F5CD

Quote Originally Posted by kayos72
    my .02 I have a border collie mix.
    Very smart and because of the herding breed she is incredible with kids, one moment wrestling with me, I play hard and she knows how hard to bite.
    The next minute letting me know that the kids out in the complex she knows are crying and upset, this with a sliding door closed.
    Her temperament is awesome and she will not stray more than 100 yards and always has line of sight with me.
    see pics
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...3&d=1178455616
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...4&d=1178455616
    OMG those pics are CUTE!

PIN/ID
    24A2F5CD

The only reason why I mentioned shelters is because I'd like to obtain a puppy that I can train properly to ensure proper behavior and temperment. Aren't most dogs obtained from shelters no longer puppies? Most of them are older, no? Maybe I am talking out of my ***. I'm not familiar with the process, but that seems to be my impression.

Someone mentioned the American Pitbull Terrier (APBT), that is exactly the one I am closely considering. They are absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, everyone around me seems to buy into the stereotype, except for those that are well learned, and feel that they can pose a threat and danger to humans, especially children. I'd hate to get an APBT and have people talk badly about him/her or shelter their children from my beloved pet.

Last edited by VanillaEps; 05-16-2007 at 02:49 PM.

PIN/ID
    24A2F5CD

Quote Originally Posted by TanBucsFan
    If you like Pit's (I've owned 2 they're great dogs) also look at an AmStaf (American Staffordshire Terrier) they are great family dogs!

But there is nothing wrong with getting a "shelter" dog. They need homes as well. You can also try the hundreds of "resuce" shelters which advertise online the dogs they have which were resuced from abusive homes or found on the streets. My aunt and uncle got all 3 of their Weimaraner's that way and they were wonderdul dogs.

Good luck!
    Where did you get your APBT's?

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Good luck!
    I use to know several people with Staffordshire Terriers, very well trained, great with kids. It is 100% true that this breed gets a bad rap because their owners are A-holes and abuse them.

I need to be educated on the matter- What is the difference between the pit breeds? Is there such a thing as a pure pitbull?

What about Tosa's- HUGE dogs !!!

PIN/ID
    24A2F5CD

Quote Originally Posted by peguero
    I use to know several people with Staffordshire Terriers, very well trained, great with kids. It is 100% true that this breed gets a bad rap because their owners are A-holes and abuse them.

I need to be educated on the matter- What is the difference between the pit breeds? Is there such a thing as a pure pitbull?

What about Tosa's- HUGE dogs !!!
    Here's a quick read on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pit_Bull_Terrier

PIN/ID
    23EB47F3

I have had 2 pits great dogs. But the best dog I have ever had is my Boston Terrier. I got him from my buddy who has his parents my friends have the liter mates. They really are the best dogs. smart, personality, playful.

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Tasha I love the name of your dog!!

Vanilla I got my pits from my local animal shelter and my husband bought his AmStaff from a breeder.

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

My husband and I are looking to buy a small dog and I've always had big dogs so I'm not real experienced with small dogs. I want a breed that doesn't shed much, is good with kids and isn't a big yapper. Any stackers have any info on breeds that fit? Oh and I'm not a big poodle fan lol and I refuse to spend $1000 on some designer breed lol. So that being said any suggestions?

Natasha no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ASK NICE

Tasha I love the name of your dog!!

Vanilla I got my pits from my local animal shelter and my husband bought his AmStaff from a breeder.

Thank you Tan....Chewy's the best! Here's a pic...
    Last edited by Natasha; 05-16-2007 at 11:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast