Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Villordsutch

On Tuesday afternoon I received a call from the Site where I store my motorhome ... Stackers' Lounge forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

CSI It's not

Advertisement

On Tuesday afternoon I received a call from the Site where I store my motorhome to be told that it had been broken into. They wouldn't give me any details just that they had sealed the area of the break in. Now I have watched enough Perry Mason, Magnum Force and all the other police programs along with the news to realize I shouldn't disturb the crime scene. I called the police. I received a very good response from the RCMP they visited the Site and asked me to meet with them the following morning, which I did. Now this is a 40 foot vehicle so I was hopeful there would be some fingerprints. This is where you find out that CSI you see on TV does not exist. Apparently fingerprints cannot be seen on wood, on narrow handles or on many other places, plus the powder they use is very difficult to clean off. Anyway the police checked my vehicle then I did. Damage was depressing. Whoever did it also broke into 7 other motorhomes and trailers plus many others that were up for sale

So what's the point of this post other than ranting about a break in? It is more about technology. The police have loads of good stuff, nice digital cameras good solid flashes, computers Internet connection email, which I suppose could have been done on a smartphone but in the end a real camera with a proper lenses wins. Really powerfully flashlights were also necessary. Do I think they will get caught? No

Being proactive though I will need to try and get the owner of the lot to improve the security. Lots of possibilities here from fiber optic geophones to lasers which will also be interesting.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Villordsutch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2A2F75F4
    Some people are total sods and no real respect for the world they live in or for the people they live in.

As for the CSI (here in UK it SSU) I to witnessed them sometime back, two cars had been burnt out and I went over to talk with them about it all. All they do is turn up, gather evidence and give it to the Fuzz (Police). Nothing more, no Criminal hunting, smashing in doors before Police, nothing. Just gather evidence and hand it over.
    dushdavj likes this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hey guys, CSI only works in Hollywood. You know that.
    If you live in LA or further out, it doesn´t work already...

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well we were lucky that the perpetrators were after the electronics and not vandalism. While the vehicle is damaged and the items were stolen they are material things, no-one was hurt, things can be repaired. People that do this in the end are sad in that they believe the world owes them a living rather than going out and working for it.

Working in this side of crime fighting looks pretty enjoyable with all the gadgets available to you even if you can't solve the crime. I would think the hard part is when human life is involved.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2