Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BP41

I'm looking for the cheapest VoIP service for south Africa/johannesburg (i need coverage for this ... Stackers' Lounge forum

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5

cheap VoIP recommendations ? anyone ?

Advertisement

I'm looking for the cheapest VoIP service for south Africa/johannesburg (i need coverage for this area) also how do I set it up on my HTC EVO 3D(it uses Android BTW) is there an app I download ? and which app do you recommend ? thanks in advance ; note I have never done something like this before. also does (encrypted spelling again) the person I'm phoning need to have VoIP activated on their device or need to download any apps ? can I phone anyone without VoIP in other words ?

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    You should Voice your question to Google.
    RogerG likes this.

KTW
    *sigh* never mind...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I don't think Google Voice is available in S. Africa.

KTW
    I've found ICQ and Line in the play store, it says calls are free so I'll have to test it and see , not sure if the data usage will make it financially viable, I think it uses about 30kb/ps , then there is the question of call clarity, like wise ill have to test and see, if you guys wish I'll post the results/findings/review.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

KTW
    Will Skype be cheaper than icq, how does a company like this even make money ?

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    They charge for calls to landlines and mobiles without Skype.

Just try it. We use it a little so the boys can video chat with my mother. Have whomever install it on their computer or phone and use WiFi, free video chat etc.

KTW
    Video chat....I'm trying to save on data charges. ICQ uses about 180 KB for a 1 minute call. And its available on java, so I can get hold of more of my contacts as it supports many more platforms.

KTW
    Forget it, competition is on, here's the review weather you ask for it or not.

Minor disadvantages: when calling someone you will notice a delay of about 2 seconds. ( the word you have just said will only be heard buy the recipient 2 seconds later, so it's not instant, also I have noticed that when you hear it ringing, the recipients phone will only start to ring 6 seconds later)

Major advantages: can make calls with edge (both you and the recipient can be on edge and there will be no issues with call quality). This app is also very cheap for normal calls. A call of 1 minute will use about 180 KB. To calculate the charges your carrier will charge you for this data, use this equation. 180 / (divide) buy 1000 to get MB, / (divide buy 1000 again to get GB) = 0,00018 , now multiply this buy how much you are charged per GB

Conclusion: a simple and easy to use interface with maximum practicality, 9,8 stars out of 10 (its a must download)

KTW
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Wait, does that count ? , this thread has not even been tagged, I can't see it in the tag cloud.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by KTW View Post
    Wait, does that count ? , this thread has not even been tagged, I can't see it in the tag cloud.
    Get yo head otta the clouds!
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks