Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

its not a war when so many of the companies are on both groups and ... Stackers' Lounge forum

HuwSy no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Blu-ray or HD-DVD

Advertisement

its not a war when so many of the companies are on both groups and building converged systems.

as for a 24meg line, iv got to wait till august, but near enough.
    Huw - www.huenik.com
    Bb 8220 4.6...

I will test my hosting companys claims of unlimited webspace and unlimited bandwidth. Ideas?

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

I will throw out some facts for everyone, this way this topic doesnt get out of hand

BlueRay is backed by some movie studios, while HD-DVD is backed by others. It is NOT a format war, like VHS and BETA, or LaserDisk and DVD, for this reason alone. You want to buy a movie sony put out? You have to get the blueray disk. You want to buy a movie Columbia pictures made? Have to buy the HD-DVD and so on. For this reason alone its worth the wait to buy a player that does both.

Now, as far as buying a player today, you have some options. BlueRay players should either be out just about now, or within a month or 2. HD-DVD players are already out, and can be had for about 500. BlueRay players are rumored to come in at closer to 1000. If you have a little patience, you can buy a PS3 in November, for 500 bucks. This will not only play PS3 games, and standard DVD movies, but BlueRay movies as well. Not a bad investment to do all that.

The XBox 360, while it has a regular DVD player for movies and games, will have an HD-DVD add on by the holiday, so for you 360 owners out there, I would wait for that, as it will cost a lot less then a stand alone player I'm sure.

For those of you that have not seen an HD-DVD in action on a good HD LCDTV, you are in for a rude awakening. Those DVD's you have been buying for 10 years, they are at 480i resolution. HD-DVD's come in at 1080i, 2 times the clarity and pixels per sq inch then standard DVD's. I went to a Circuit City this weekend, and in there, they had a DVD and HDDVD of the same movie, playing side by side, on the same exact 50inch HD LCDTV. The difference is mindblowing, in my opinion (and only my opinion

I have an HD LCD TV right now, and I get HD channels, and its just like watching one of those, only completely uncompressed. Amazing, to say the least.

I would say, you will find players that do both, sometime next year. Spring/Summer, but I highely doubt anytime sooner. They want the market to settle before they do that I am sure. If anything, dont look for a combo player til next holiday, although, I could be completely wrong. Just going by how the industry has worked in the past.

Hope that helps some of you.

Oh, and a 24meg ADSL line? Hope your dreaming Not gonna happen unless you live in VDSL territory, 500 feet or less from your CO, and they even offer it. Me, I am happy with my 30Meg connection at home (soon to be 50meg FIOS)

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Thanks for the info... will try to keep this hidden from my hubby. Luckily he was not impressed with the HD TV, so maybe he won't care.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

ENY428 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Thanks for the info. BryanSE. You clarified up a lot.

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

No problem. Hope that helped!

HuwSy no está en línea Stack level 3

Iv seen some production blue ray hd combos set to enter the market within the next few months, which market will prolly only be japan at this point, but it shouldnt be too long after that everywhere else hopefully. I know i can get a 24meg line here as of august when the exchange gets upgraded again, an its close enought for it but a 50meg line thats jus not fair, then again my 24meg line will only be the equivelent of $35 US per month. Still would like my uni line, best iv managed to speed test it at was 700meg, but that was mid day when there was prolly lots of other users on it too.
    Huw - www.huenik.com
    Bb 8220 4.6...

I will test my hosting companys claims of unlimited webspace and unlimited bandwidth. Ideas?

bobmcelroy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24533BD3

hd-dvd is BLUE-RAY's Bitch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12