Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I was checking around for reports of "best smartphone of 2006" and the blackjack gets ... Stackers' Lounge forum

LadyRaider no está en línea Stack level 2

The Blackjack is getting very good ratings

Advertisement

I was checking around for reports of "best smartphone of 2006" and the blackjack gets high praise.

How do you think it compares to the Pearl?

I was scared away by the 1. Reports of low battery life, 2. Price of Cingular Service, and 3. I had a Razr at one point and then EVERYONE had a razr and I didn't like having the same phone as everyone else. I worried that would happen with the blackjack.

Anyone have a chance to compare this phone with the pearl?

The editors didn't seem to rank the pearl as high. One mentioned that the text menus were going to drive us newbs crazy.

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: The Blackjack is getting very good ratings

I am still wondering if I should switch to the Blackjack, but I don't think I could live with the size of it, and don't think I could live with not having a trackball because its so easy to use. I looked at the Blackjack in the store
    and the menu was a lot less "modern" than the Pearl. I think I am going to stick with the Pearl.

SDU_Eric no está en línea Stack level 3

you got a link to this phone you guys are talking about?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_Blac...7.html?tag=lst

cnet review. The editors ranked it as one of the best smart phones of 2006. Howver they ranked one of the blackberries... a 7- series as the best of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by GotPearl?
    I am still wondering if I should switch to the Blackjack, but I don't think I could live with the size of it, and don't think I could live with not having a trackball because its so easy to use. I looked at the Blackjack in the store
    and the menu was a lot less "modern" than the Pearl. I think I am going to stick with the Pearl.
    The size isn't that much different, though of course the Pearl wins that battle. I think the blackjack is oddly shaped though, while Pearl looks like a phone. I guess I should look at one in the store as well.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Well, if you get a BlackJack, just hope that RIM doesn't win the lawsuit against them, because RIM is calling for BlackJack to supply them with ALL devices (sold and unsold) so that they can destroy (AKA Rip them apart and play with them).

I don't think that a device that has been out on the market for less than 3 months should even be considered in ratings of any "research company" because there has not been enough a time for a device to really be played with and whatnot.

It's like when car magazines rate a car that's brand new off the showroom floor, give it high ratings, then 3-6 months down the road the problems start to arise and they give it lower ratings. Just doesn't make sense.

You could build a cell phone that is great and has EVERYTHING you could ever need and want in a device, give a test unit to someone, they test it, consider it awesome, then 3 months later the keys are falling out, system is crashing, etc.

Just my opinion: Something needs to be on the market for 3 months or longer before an actual decent review can be given on it.

Yeah, it is bigger than the Pearl. I really think the menu is very outdated, but maybe that is just me? I don't think you can add apps. to the Blackjack either, which would suck. The Pearl also seems like it would have more features.

air4ce1 no está en línea Stack level 2

Actually, the user reviews on CNET are better for the Pearl and the editor's ratings are the same as the Blackjack. I'd tend to take the user's ratings more seriously since they have probably used it extensively and not just played with it for a couple hours like the CNET editors. Just my $.02.

athomas917 no está en línea Stack level 3

My main reason for getting the Pearl over the Blackjack was it just looked better. I just wasn't that impressed with the hands on feel in the store. Also, the way Cingular and other phone companies are pushing it, it might become the next Razr and I don't want something everyone else already has.

Athomas917,

I haven't seen it in the store, but it does look like an old scientific calculator or something. And I agree about the push for it... Razrs are definitely oversaturated... and this one could be too. Hopefully they won't make it dirt cheap as what happened with the razr.

I listed above the reasons I went with the Pearl. If Cingular Service was less expensive, it might have been a harder choice. Still, I think I prefer something that actually looks like a phone and not a tri-corder.

cobra2525200 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E636EB

A guy I work with has the black-joke and he reminds me everyday that he wished he would have gotten a BB Pearl like me.

If you ain't got the pearl, you just ain't cool.

maestrowork no está en línea Stack level 3

Too big. Buttons too small. Screen size is nice but I'd rather have a small phone.

jsimms243 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D71EB

My boss has a Blackjack, which he gets for free because he knows someone at Cingular. Despite a free phone (anytime he wants one) he likes my phone a lot more than his brand new Blackjack. Personally, I hate the bulky size of the Blackjack, and the screen seems oddly shapped. Pearl all the way.

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Well, if you get a BlackJack, just hope that RIM doesn't win the lawsuit against them, because RIM is calling for BlackJack to supply them with ALL devices (sold and unsold) so that they can destroy (AKA Rip them apart and play with them).

I don't think that a device that has been out on the market for less than 3 months should even be considered in ratings of any "research company" because there has not been enough a time for a device to really be played with and whatnot.

It's like when car magazines rate a car that's brand new off the showroom floor, give it high ratings, then 3-6 months down the road the problems start to arise and they give it lower ratings. Just doesn't make sense.

You could build a cell phone that is great and has EVERYTHING you could ever need and want in a device, give a test unit to someone, they test it, consider it awesome, then 3 months later the keys are falling out, system is crashing, etc.

Just my opinion: Something needs to be on the market for 3 months or longer before an actual decent review can be given on it.

the problem is that the blackjack is being advertised heavily compared to bb's people only do what their told so if you hear only about the blackjack then thats all they will want. Although RIM relies mostly on the corporate world I think they should advertise more (or maybe I just havent seen their advertisements)...some good things about the blackjack are that the UMTS/HSDPA, simultaneous bluetooth and data capabilities as well as microsoft outlook, word, excel, powerpoint and pdf support (this IMO is its strongest point)....but I still love my bb.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast