Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RogerG
  • 1 Post By catstide
  • 1 Post By BP41
  • 1 Post By catstide

I purchased an Apple TV with the hope of being able to watch movies from ... Stackers' Lounge forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Apple TV

Advertisement

I purchased an Apple TV with the hope of being able to watch movies from various sources. I was extremely disappointed to see that closed captions cannot be played on the YouTube app. I searched many forums and found this has been issue as far back as 2010.

The option in Settings of Apple TV doesn't work for YouTube. So the Apple TV is going back tomorrow!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    If you can get a refund then try get the Samsung smart tv, Samsung generally load their products with tons of services.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    99.00 vs 1500.00+ for a TV? Lol

Hang tight Dave. I know a few folks here use Apple TV. Bmay is one. Maybe he has some ideas. There's Roku as well though as another option. And I think Western Digital (the guys who do external storage) makes a box as well. Not that any of those solve your CC issue, but they're options.
    dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I took it back this morning and discussed it with the Apple Geniuses, they agreed this was an issue with Apple TV and with the IPhone (not an issue with my Playbook ). So people have been complaining since 2010. Is this because Google-Android/Apple don't play well together?

I am going to put off purchase till I return to the US and yes Roger I will be looking at the alternatives, WD is one of the options I was thinking of.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    I have an Apple TV and love it. However I don't know anything about youtube subs or how you might get them to work. I'm guessing you don't have a Mac. If you did you could mirror your computer to your tv through Apple TV and play your subs on your Mac.

dushdavj likes this.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    I purchased an Apple TV with the hope of being able to watch movies from various sources. I was extremely disappointed to see that closed captions cannot be played on the YouTube app. I searched many forums and found this has been issue as far back as 2010.

The option in Settings of Apple TV doesn't work for YouTube. So the Apple TV is going back tomorrow!
    What are you trying to do exactly?? Watch movies through YouTube??? If it was in the YouTube app you need to contact Google. That's an issue in their end. But let me know what you're looking to do with a set top box. I can try to help you pick the right one.

dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    If you check foreign language movies on YouTube their is a cc on the play bar for closed captions which allows you to turn subtitles on. I am not blaming Apple, I am just saying people have been asking for the option to see the cc since 2010. No I don't have a Mac and have no intention of getting one but their are 3 IPads in our household and the mirroring is lower definition then I get from using the Playbook. So while I was impressed with Apple TV quality 1080p for resident Apps, which is great for watching sports, Hollywood movies TV shows etc it did not have the capability of fulfilling the specifications I required. I tried various other Apps to find the movies I wanted to see and found none of them had cc.

Is it Apple's fault, or Google fault I don't really care what I do care about is paying out $134 for Apple TV and an HDMI cable for something that was not useful to me. As I mentioned earlier Apple refunded me the money no questions asked and agreed this was an issue, along with resolution on mirroring. Personally if someone asked me should they uy an Apple TV I would say as long as they are not looking to turn Subtitles on and off Yes 100%. My only other question is why doesn't the unit come with an HDMI cable?

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
    What are you trying to do exactly?? Watch movies through YouTube??? If it was in the YouTube app you need to contact Google. That's an issue in their end. But let me know what you're looking to do with a set top box. I can try to help you pick the right one.

Basically we watch a lot of Hindu Bollywood, and Hong Kong movies vintage '80s and '90s on average. As I don't speak Hindi, Mandarin, or Cantonese I need subtitles. We also purchase the movies on DVD. Unfortunately I cannot find the movies on Netflix or ITunes. At the moment I just Plug my Playbook in using the HDMI port. I would like to be able to find a set top box to replace my Playbook I was thinking about Google Chromecast as a possibility. Anyway I intend to dig a little deeper before my next purchase

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    My only other question is why doesn't the unit come with an HDMI cable?
    I don't think too many devices come with HDMI included. Don't buy those high priced cables at the store. A good 6' HDMI can be had for about $3.50 on line.

dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    I don't think too many devices come with HDMI included. Don't buy those high priced cables at the store. A good 6' HDMI can be had for about $3.50 on line.

Very good advise HDMI cables aren't cheap

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    WWW.monoprice.com for all your cable needs.

Been using for years and have never had an issue with quality.

Hell, bet if I looked around the house I have a cable I could send.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    WWW.monoprice.com for all your cable needs.

Been using for years and have never had an issue with quality.

Hell, bet if I looked around the house I have a cable I could send.
    ^^^ That's it! Great site and great cables. They have a lot of other fun geeky things too. Everytime I need cable I end up shopping around the site and adding some more fun stuff .