Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Did I ruin the discussion?... Stackers' Lounge forum

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Did I ruin the discussion?

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Maybe, I dont believe it all. We have not been on this planet for long enough to know whats happening. In Roman times they grew vines in England for wine and that was only 2000 years ago. I just dont trust what they tell me as they have lied and twisted the truth so much.

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    Corn as fuel is the worse idea period. As a result of less corn being available, there is less corn-based foods available. My mom talked to her mom (my grandma) on the phone a month ago (she lives in Mexico) and grandma said that the kilo of tortillas shot up in price so much they couldn't afford to buy what they were usually getting every day. Dairy products are also on the rise in costs due to there not being enough food for the cows.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    I think solar panels in the desert is a good start, because the desert is vast and no one uses it anyways. Wind farms would also be a good idea, but the low pressure thing could kill animals @_@

IMO I think we should stop worrying so much about nuclear power and embrace it. People are scared because of the problems that happened in the 70s, but technology and safety has advanced so much since then. France is on all nuclear power now and has been for enough time to know it's a decent choice. But of course, this is all for domestic uses.

For the cars I think the first thing is to start drilling in Alaska and off our shores for the stuff we KNOW is there, but people think will hurt the environment. It's made by nature, it won't harm the environment...calm down. That'll give us some more breathing room while we research some other stuff like fuel cells and non-corn based biofuel.

PIN/ID
    Stack
    How about making your cars more fuel efficient????

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    Quote Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
    id have to respectfully disagree. Automobiles are to some a way of life. As american as baseball. Americans love hot rods, lowriders,Street/strip cars, SUV's. Part of the appeal is the power, the speed, the SIZE, the noise.

Theres nothing like a warm breezy day in the summer. Driving down the main street in your freshly detailed vehicle, windows down, music flowing. You see a 69 camaro also freshly polished and cant help but think. It IS the perfect cruising day. Its all the better when you pull into the local Sonic and there are even more shiny cars, the smell of cooling engines and attractive girls gathered around checking out the cars. The day goes by with nothing to do but driving around, spot as many nice cars as you can, and make an effort to talk to as many of the good looking girls as you can....

The TRUE american pastime...Cruisin

i guess my point is, its not the same. you cant really cruise in a prius, or even to an extent a cavlier/focus/camry. and a camaro/chevelle/challenger/charger etc that doesnt guzzle gas would be just weird. I think we as americans are more tied to our cars than any other nation.
    Last edited by offthahorseceo; 09-01-2008 at 01:41 PM.

The cylinder based engine has been around for quite a long time. A lot of work has been put into changing the design to make it more efficient, but not much can seem to be done without a loss of some power that people don't want to lose. At best the combustion engines of today are about 30% efficient, with most of the rest of the energy being lost as heat. It's incredibly difficult to harness the majority of energy from a combustible as there's so much energy lost as heat. You can't just magically make things 'more efficient'. Things are about as good as they can get for a combustible engine and we just need a new fuel that is more renewable and cheaper so the poor efficiency doesn't hurt as much.

PIN/ID
    Stack
    I have a 1800cc Turbo that would eat most american cars and I can still get 35mpg and 40mpg if I drive real easy and it can do 150mph. Here is europe we are always amazed at the size of american engines and the lack of power in comparison. And the Prius is not a good as people think. If you take its full cost with manufacturing its not better than a normal car. I don't think the solution is a magic fuel but small improvements in all areas.

I have a 1800cc Turbo that would eat most american cars and I can still get 35mpg and 40mpg if I drive real easy and it can do 150mph. Here is europe we are always amazed at the size of american engines and the lack of power in comparison. And the Prius is not a good as people think. If you take its full cost with manufacturing its not better than a normal car. I don't think the solution is a magic fuel but small improvements in all areas.
    It still is only 30% efficient, which is pretty poor. While things are worse with american cars, the european cars still have the same heat loss problem that all combustion engines have. They're surrounded by metal parts which conduct heat well enough that almost 70% of the energy escapes the system as heat waste. Could it be a bit better? Sure, but there isn't a material on earth that has the properties needed of the aluminum, steel, etc making up an engine with good insulation. The materials research to come up with such a thing will take quite a long time, too long for that to be our solution, and that's if such a thing is even possible.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Maybe a high temp proof polymer of some sort would would be better for engine material then no rusting and not as much energy lost to heat.

PIN/ID
    Stack
    You want it all.
    Good luck with that
    Last edited by vince1; 09-02-2008 at 05:34 AM.

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Well @ least I am trying ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by thbassman View Post
    Maybe a high temp proof polymer of some sort would would be better for engine material then no rusting and not as much energy lost to heat.
    Again, the research required for such a thing would take too long to be a viable solution in our lifetimes. Polymers are new and we're coming up with stuff every day, but they still have too low of a melting/combustion point to make an engine block out of. Plus they're not hard/strong enough yet to handle the pressure and forces of a petroleum combustion.

Believe me, all the stops are being pulled out to do something about it and not much has evolved in the engine in the past few decades. That should give a clue as to how hard it is to make this process more efficient while using the same fuel.

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    ^^ There is always the road less traveled . . . something new just waiting to be discovered.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast