Does anyone here use an Aircard? I am looking at one for my laptop, it ... Stackers' Lounge forum

mserica513 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    OOPS!

Aircard

Advertisement

Does anyone here use an Aircard? I am looking at one for my laptop, it will make my online classes a whole lot easier. I know how they work in theory, but have never used one. Anyone have any advise or suggestions?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Insert catchy phrase here..

its basically plug and go windows automatically finds the software and installs it and if not there is always software that comes with it that you can install and thats it pick the connection and you're good to go speeds arnt as great as home internet obviously but still good

PIN/ID
    OOPS!
    got that, I should have phrased my question better. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which carrier seems to work better than another? I as reading on sprints website they have a card that can roam, the plan has significantly less mb of course, but they have one. The best plan is with Tmobile- unlimited data for 50 bucks, but their coverage is very scarce - especially for where I need to use it.

oh okay yeah sorry i wouldnt know what ones to pick from down in the states

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by mserica513 View Post
    Does anyone here use an Aircard? I am looking at one for my laptop, it will make my online classes a whole lot easier. I know how they work in theory, but have never used one. Anyone have any advise or suggestions?

I have an air card. I've been using them ever since they were released. They are outstanding. One thing to keep in mind; there are 3 types of cards. Mini, regular, and USB. I don't know about the USB, but the mini and regular is very fast.

Now note that your laptop must have an expansion port to use the non USB card.
    All the carriers has cards, even alltel.

I had a sprint regular card. It was very fast and awesome. Con: it went on time out when downloading file above 500MB.

I currently have a Dell mini card that uses att 3g. I love it.
    Con: since its a dell card, its tough to get drivers to use it on non dell laptops.

My co-workers has the USB cards from sprint; they haven't complained yet.

Choose your card wisely.
    Last edited by planneau; 12-22-2008 at 10:56 PM.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    In addition to what Planneau said you also want to take in consideration where you are located as well. I am in charge of air cards for the company I work for and can tell you that certain carriers work better in certain areas of the US than others. Do your research and see what your coverage is best for you. Out of my experiences I notice that in the east coast that the Verizon cards tend to work best especially if you do a lot of travelling and need an air card that has excellent coverage. I myself use a Sprint Card and have used both the USB and PCI cards and they work great. What I have noticed that the coverage isn't as good when it is in the east coast but for west coast usage it works great. Personally out of my experiences I am not a fan of the att air cards. It seems like to me their networks are a bit slower than other carriers that I work with. If you travel outside of the states I would definitely recommend the Verizon two card solution. There is a lot to know about air cards than I have time to explain if you have any specific questions please feel free to pm me at anytime. I've worked with all the major carriers and can tell you what would be in your best interest.

PIN/ID
    OOPS!
    Thanks Bes, I appreciate that. The 2 cards that I am looking at are Verizon and Sprint, I get a discount with Verizon, my husband with Sprint. I am happy with my sprint blackberry so I may get it from them. Plus they just offered me the deal of the century on the new blackberry from Nextel (I love Nextel so I just may get it) thats besides the point, I do want an aircard that works. I am in the DFW area, primarily, I will be doing some travel to and from Ohio and possibly Alabama. Georgia is on the map as well . I plan on having this card for a long time as I will need to access internet every day for the most part.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Why not just Tether with your BlackBerry?

My ThinkPad X60t comes with a Telus Air Card. But I am not with that carrier, so it is totally useless to me

PIN/ID
    OOPS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    Why not just Tether with your BlackBerry?

My ThinkPad X60t comes with a Telus Air Card. But I am not with that carrier, so it is totally useless to me

I called my carrier, PAM does is not in my plan, in order for me to get it I have to break down my plan and pay tons more and worry about overage vs just getting an air card. either way I have to pay more money, but at least I dont have to worry about going over my minutes

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Now sprint does have no charge tethering. So if you plan to move over that may be something you want to take in consideration.

PIN/ID
    OOPS!
    yea, i just dont want to change my plan, im very happy with what i have and my minutes fluctuate, so i dont wanna be minute checking ever few days or so.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    I'm all for tethering, but sometimes you need something faster. I bought a Sierra Aircard for a friend a couple of months ago and she is very happy with it -- not least being the convenience of taking it from one computer to another as needed.