Well a month or so ago I decided to try Vista Ultimate, not thinking to ... Stackers' Lounge forum

CREturbo no está en línea Stack level 2

Ahh I screwed up big time, Vista/XP

Advertisement

Well a month or so ago I decided to try Vista Ultimate, not thinking to myself I upgraded the desktop with the trial version and so forth.

Well, I put a few little things on there (pictures, music, documents, etc).. well, I haven't used this desktop in a couple weeks or so and now that I'm back It will ONLY let me connect my computer to the internet. I can't get into my own desktop, Start Menu, etc.. It's now asking for a product key.

To be honest I hated vista(I also don't want to spend $350 on it) and will gladly go back to my bought version of XP.. only thing is, how in the hell can I get to those images/documents/music I saved once I stick my Dell Restore Disc back in?

If ANYONE can help me it would be SO very greatly appreciated. Thank you

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Ahh I screwed up big time, Vista/XP

Don't think you can... I think you are gonna be sol unless you can get into safemode with the command prompt.

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Wrong forum for this actually but, you can reset the Vista timer for the trial. Follow this guide: http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=38289 (mods, sorry for posting out of forum). Once you have reset Vista trial, remove all the stuff you want onto another drive or memory stick. Also, you do not need to purchase a full version of Vista. The update version for $250 will do you fine.

Let me know how it works, I have never tried the trial extension.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Its not out of forum... this is where we talk about off topic stuff... so its all good
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyRVC View Post
    Its not out of forum... this is where we talk about off topic stuff... so its all good
    Merry Christmas
    Same to you!

CREturbo no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    Wrong forum for this actually but, you can reset the Vista timer for the trial. Follow this guide: http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=38289 (mods, sorry for posting out of forum). Once you have reset Vista trial, remove all the stuff you want onto another drive or memory stick. Also, you do not need to purchase a full version of Vista. The update version for $250 will do you fine.

Let me know how it works, I have never tried the trial extension.
    thanks, only problem is I can't even get into the start menu

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~do some searching in the forums at that link. The people there are as knowledgable on windows as people here are on bb's.

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack

You could always take out the hard drive and connect it up to another PC as a slave drive. You should be then able to get the files you want.
    Hope this helps

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Start the PC with UBCD, or better a Linux Live CD: the original Knoppix, or even better the latest Ubuntu 7.10 ("Gutsy Gibbon"). This last one has better drivers than the standar captive-fs, and as a result you can easily read AND write any NTFS filesystem... such as the one the Vista moneyhungry crap is denying you.

For information ONLY, there are ways to freeze forever the Vista 30-day timer. But I don't recommend it [my hat is white ]