Hello pinstackers, my name is Don and I am conducting a survey for an essay ... Stackers' Lounge forum
A Little Poll On 'Meeting a Stranger.'
Hello pinstackers, my name is Don and I am conducting a survey for an essay I will be writing for my English class. Basically, it is on how people act when meeting someone they do not know, a stranger basically, and this will be a very interesting one in my opinion to observe all your answers. Basically, just answer the questions for me, and you will be able to read other people's responses as well, I am pretty sure this will be interesting to you and to me.
All you have to do is quickly answer the following questions or perhaps if you have the time go into detail. I do not mind whether or not you answer completely in detail or not but if you do it would be very much help. A short answer is perfectly fine as well and is appreciated very much. For my purposes, I will require you to state your gender, and if possible your age though you do not have to if you do not wish to. Thank you very much and here are the questions.
1.Do you smile when you first meet someone?
2.If a stranger smiled at you, would you smile back?
3.When you first meet a person, what do you usually notice first (eyes, smile, clothing, hair, etc)?
4.Does it matter a lot how a person presents themselves on the first meeting?
5.Is it different meeting a new person of the opposite sex compared to the same sex?
6.Would you help someone up if they fell?
Your answers are very much appreciated and please be honest with your answers! This will be very interesting to read.
Last edited by MeisterDon; 09-14-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Reason: Forgot to number...
Age 33 sex: M
1. Yes, it would be rude not to.
2. Yes, as stated in previous answer to question.
3. This question would really depend on the gender but for the most part the eyes.
4. Most definitely it would set a precedence if I choose to keep in contact with the individual or not.
5. Please refer to answer of question 3. This would also be crucial if you are single or involved with another individual.
6. Please refer to answer of question 1.
Thank you very much, and yes I do realize some of the questions depend on the gender which is why I requested that people state their gender.
Although your questions may seem simple but there are other variables to consider such as culture, meeting environment and so on. I for one would not behave the same way say if I was in Europe or the Far East but I will try to be as generic as possible.
1. I do naturally but I tend to mirror the person I'm with especially in business meetings.
2. Yes unless he/she is the devil
3. Eyes are the gateway to the soul.
4. Character not garments.
5. Yes it is different but I try to be courteous regardless of gender.
6. Yes and no as some people might get offended if you try to help.
Hope this helps and good luck with your studies.
Thank you very much! I do realize there are many factors that will effect this, but I mean just in general, perhaps maybe just where you live but of course it would be much more useful to me if you explained to me how you would act different in different places! This is just a study to see generally how a person interacts with someone they have never met before. I find it interesting that character comes first before garments, in my opinion how a person dresses shows much about who they are, but then again of course in the end its all about character, thanks again for your response! Now then, anyone else?
Last edited by MeisterDon; 09-14-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Interesting questions Don, makes you think about how you treat people you just met.
1.Yes, I enjoy making new friends
2. Absolutely, nothing can brighten your day more than an unexpected smile
3. Would say eyes and smile, that says alot about your attitude
4. Not a lot unless it's in a business setting then your presentation can make or break the sale, interview.
5. For me there is because I find talking to the opposite sex easier and make friends with them more quickly.
6. For sure, I'd want someone to help me up if I fell!
~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
Thank you very much for your response, I have noticed that several people have said that they would find it creepy or strange for a stranger to smile at them but of course this is all due to other variables which will not be emphasized as much in my studies. Thank you very much again for your response. Let's keep it going!
Hey Don - I am pretty new to the stacks but I am more than willing to answer your questions.
1. I absolutely smile when meeting new people. There is something powerful about a smile that can help to break down pre conceived notions and bias. A smile will help to place you on even ground with those you meet that might not know you yet.
2. Always smile back! Granted there are days when the grumps have got their nails dug into you and you just don't feel like making the effort, but as a rule I always do my best to return the smile.
3. I am big on eye contact so I immediately focus my attention on the persons eyes and the smile comes next =)
4. Yes it does matter. If there is no work being done to put out a positive/professional vibe then you can not trust that person instinctively. They may be great for a number of reasons, but no one will ever know because they have kept it all hidden. Also, as a side note - if you don't seem interested in talking with me then I will lose all interest right away and the possibility for a meaningful exchange will have been nullified.
5. There can definitely be extra pressures associated with meeting a member of the opposite sex.
6. Have and will continue doing so until such a time when I can no longer help someone up. At this point, it will be my turn to look for assistance from those with greater ability.
3. Eyes-very telling about a person!
4. Depends on Setting, business-then yes, everyone has schedules to keep. Personal it depends on the situation-my first date wife mywife started @ 7pm and went to 5am.
5. Yes it is different, especially if you are married and that person is not the same sex as you
6. Yes I would, been instructed to be a gentleman from a young child.
~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
Wow thank you very much for your answers! This is very interesting to read and observe your answers, anyone else care to answer? Perhaps we could get many people to answer, this is a very amusing study.
1. Always, a smile is usually always welcomed by all...unless your just rude..
2. Like #1, yes and i smile alot!
3. I am an eyes and smile person, so that is what i notice first, i dont care what the person has on
4. Yes, i think it does..it can show alot about a person how they present themselves.
5. No, imo a person is just a person, whether they are male or female
6.yes, and i have before..no not just my drunk friends..
Though my studies are over, this is still quite interesting to read. Care to continue? It would be lovely to read in my opinion, psychology is very amusing.
Tags for this Thread