BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software version 4.0 or later BlackBerry® Device Software 4.0 or later
... Server Admins forum
How to wirelessly deploy third-party applications to BlackBerry devices
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software version 4.0 or later
- BlackBerry® Device Software 4.0 or later
The following procedure outlines the tasks needed for the wireless deployment of third-party applications to BlackBerry devices:
Task 1 - Create and share the application folder
Note: If you do not want to share a directory on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, you can install the latest BlackBerry Device Software on a workstation and then share the <drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion folder here.
- From the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, go to <drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion.
- Right-click the Research In Motion folder and select Properties.
- Click the Sharing tab.
- Select the Share this folder radial button.
- Click Permissions.
- Clear all the selections except Allow for Read, then close the Permissions window.
Task 2 - Index the Third-Party Application
Task 3 - Create a Software Configuration
- Create an Applications folder in <drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared.
- In the Applications folder, create a folder for the third-party application you want to deploy to the BlackBerry device users.
- Copy the third-party application files (such as ALX and COD files) into the folder you created in the prior step.
- Open a command prompt and go to <drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader.
- Run the command loader /index
- Go to the Applications\<application name> folder created in step 2 and confirm that the pkgdbcache.xml and specification.pkg files exist.
Task 4 - Create or Assign an Application Control Policy
- For BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.0, launch BlackBerry Handheld Configuration Tool. For BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1, launch BlackBerry Manager and select BlackBerry Domain on the left.
- Click the Software Configurations (or Configurations) tab.
- Click Add New Configuration.
- Type a name for the software configuration.
- Click the Change button next to Device Software Location.
- Type \\<share_name>\Research in Motion. The BlackBerry Device Software and the Applications folder should appear in the list.
- Change the Delivery field to wireless instead of wireless only for the software package to be pushed out wirelessly.
In the Software Configurations window, with the application highlighted, select the Application Control Policy to be assigned to the third-party software from the Policy drop-down list.
Create a new Application Control Policy by completing the following steps:
Task 5 - Assign the Software Configuration to a BlackBerry device user/group
- Select the Software Configurations (or Configurations) tab.
- Click Manage Application Policies.
- Click New and type a name for the policy in the Name field.
- Select the Disposition field and specify the setting Required.
- Click OK and OK.
- Back in the Software Configurations (or Configurations) tab, select the application.
- Select the Application Control Policy from the Policy drop-down list.
For BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.0, complete the following:
For BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1, complete the following:
- Select the Handhelds tab.
- Select the BlackBerry device user.
- Click Assign Software Configuration and select the software configuration from the list.
Note: The application will be wirelessly pushed to BlackBerry devices within four hours.
- In the left-pane, select BlackBerry Domain.
- Select the All Users or User Groups List tab.
- Select a BlackBerry device user or group from the list. (Note: BlackBerry device users can also be selected from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Users tab).
- In the Tasks pane, expand Device Management.
- Select Assign Software Configuration.
- Select the software configuration from the list.
Tags for this Thread