I have a client computer set up to run BlackBerry Manager. It is set up ... Server Admins forum

mcashman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae5c7c

Wired Activation Errors

Advertisement

I have a client computer set up to run BlackBerry Manager. It is set up and connected with the BES so that I do wired activations without going to the computer room. Lately, seemingly since I upgraded the BES and BlackBerry Manager on the client to 4.0.5.10, I have been getting the following error when doing wired activations:

An error occurred while assigning the handheld to the user.

An error was encountered during communications with the server. Please ensure that the BlackBerry Dispatcher is started. (6)

RPC error detail: Access is denied.

I contacted RIM and they stated this usually happens when file/print sharing is not turned on in the BES and pointed me to a KB article. I checked it on the BES and the client machine and both have file and print sharing enabled, but I continue to get the error. All services are started on the BES. I am running GW 6.5.6 on the BES and client. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

wizkid1981 no está en línea BES Guru

Re: Wired Activation Errors

I'm assuming this is the RIM article you were pointed to:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...%200%203688994

PIN/ID
    32ae5c7c

Yup, that's the one. I made sure that file and print sharing is enabled on both the BES and the client workstation.

PIN/ID
    32ae5c7c

Anyone got any other ideas? I've been doing wireless activations since this issue began, but I like to have flexibility to do the wired ones in case I run into issues.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

I tried to Activate one of our 7250's and it failed and corrupted it. I had to call Blackberry support for them to redownload service books to it and they told me to do an OTA Activation and not do it plugged into the BES. That it might cause problems.

mirth no está en línea Stack level 1

I just found the solution to this problem -

If you're not using Active Directory (my employer uses Novell eDirectory so all our Windows servers are running in workgroup mode) then chances are the local user on your administration workstation doesn't exist.
    My workaround was to establish a connection to the BES server in question via Network Neighborhood thru \\<servername>\c$
    It will prompt you to authenticate to the server, I used the server's administrator account & password, then you'll see the contents of that machine's C drive.
    Go back and try to assign the handheld again. It worked for me!

chard101 no está en línea Stack level 1

I am in the same environment as mirth, I had already tried what he suggested but it did not work for me. What did work for me is creating a local user account on the BES server with a same username and password as my local windows user account.

Worked fine after that.

Have fun.

Chard101.

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    Good to know thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by chard101 View Post
    I am in the same environment as mirth, I had already tried what he suggested but it did not work for me. What did work for me is creating a local user account on the BES server with a same username and password as my local windows user account.

Worked fine after that.

Have fun.

Chard101.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!