Hi all, First post for me here. I have an SBS 2K3 Server and a ... Server Admins forum

pcm2503 no está en línea Stack level 1

Which Server to install on?

Advertisement

Hi all,

First post for me here.

I have an SBS 2K3 Server and a Windows 2k3 Server.

The 2K3 server runs terminal services and the plan was to put BES on this machine, but as I found out today BES doesn't support TS.

I need to run 10 Blackberry devices. Will I be ok to run BES on the SBS server (I've read this thread "
    Gary's BES install guide for SBS 2003 "), which looks like it should be ok. Will 10-15 handhelds give me a performance problem?

Blackberry support cant tell me what won't work if I remove TS from the 2k3 Server, install BES and then reinstall TS. Does anyone know, or is it just not an option?

Thanks

Peter

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Re: Which Server to install on?

Opps read it wrong the 1st time. You need to use perfmon to see what resources are being used on your SBS. You should be able to run it on SBS depending on the systen resources. If your server has enought processor and memory to handle it then you will be fine. From what I am reading this time it sounds like it might work on SBS. Since you are puting it on SBS, are you hosting your own mail? Since BES will sync to your exchange you are either hosting it or using exhange to pool your hosting provider for your mail. you

Terminal Server
    You might have enough resorces on your other SBS Server. If you go Ts routher here are some things you need ot consider for that too.

It should not be a problem. The only concern is that your users that remote into the system will not allow the appropiate resources for BES.

Here are the commmands for switching the server to allow installation.

CHANGE USER /INSTALL Enable install mode. This command has to be run before
    installing any new software on a Terminal Server.
    This will create a .ini file for the application
    in the TS system directory.

CHANGE USER /EXECUTE Enable execute mode (default)
    Run this when an installation is complete.

I would run perf mon on the system to make sure that you have enough resources on the system to handle it. How many users do you have connected to your TS? How much memory do you have and Processors Type & Quantity. What type of app is are the TS Clients running?

You have to allow for a min of x RAM for each client connected ot the TS. This amount of memory depends on what they are doing and the application(s) that are being used by the clients. If you have any tyoe of Database application running is will be more memory intensive than word or email. There are alot of factors that are involved in TS but, it should work. You just need ot know what your system can handle and what you are using to pan accordingly.
    Last edited by MWPatterson; 08-23-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Resource wise I think I'll be fine if I install on the 2K3 TS Server. It's running dual processors and 3.5GB Ram, but after attempting the install and speaking to Blackberry I was told I couldn't install it on the TS Server. They said it was an incompatibility problem with TS and Blackberry, thats why I was thinking of putting on the SBS Server.

I didn't try the install using the change user commands, although I did try it using the add/remove programs from control panel. This gave me the same problem as when I tred installing direct from the CD. I'll try the change user options and see what I get.

I'd prefer to get it running on the TS as this machine is only used after hours by users connecting in to check email and other light duties.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

TS does not allow applications to be installed on the system until it is chaned to install mode to execute. This is to prevent people from installing software on the system. You will not be able to install it, this is why it failed. Use the Change command and let me know how it goes. I know more people in the stacks have it running on TS and do not have problems.

If you do install it on SBS that should not be a problem either as RIM said they supoprt that up to 10 or 15 users and you probable got enought resources on it to do it.

Let me know how it goes.

Mike

Tried user the Change user switch today, but failed with the same error.

I removed Terminal Services and the Blackberry install went through ok.

It's working at the moment, but without TS installed on the Server. Not sure what will happen when I reinstall TS.

I'll let you know.

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Gratz in getting it going now alll you have to do it get TS and the apps that people use installed and see what happens.