First post...be kind! I'm running BES 4.1.x (Exchange 2003) with 200 users that operate worldwide ... Server Admins forum

metzler no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Web Page Development

Advertisement

First post...be kind!

I'm running BES 4.1.x (Exchange 2003) with 200 users that operate worldwide 24x7.

I have searched the forums and came close to finding my question at...

As I can't post urls, search for post with terms "Application advice"

...but bugthing's question was confusing. Hopefully I can do better...

I remember reading a RIM doc in the past that showed the BES Admin how to enable a BB's PIN to be sent in the HTTP Request Header (option is off by default). I want this option on so I can utilize the PIN as a means of quasi AAA (Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting). I would then parse the HTTP Request Header from the Web Server to determine the PIN and use this information to dynamically build the rest of the page based on who is viewing. Can't find the document!?!

Hopefully that makes sense.

This is strictly a development issue for me at this time - not a production issue. Once it is developed, I've got to pass it off to my Security folks for a Risk Analysis before it would go into production.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Web Page Development

OK, I'm lame. I just answered my own question.

If interested see RIM Article Number: DB-00435 Titled "How To - Retrieve information about the BlackBerry Browser"

Here's the text:

How To - Retrieve information about the BlackBerry Browser
    Last Updated: 11 July 2006
    Article Number: DB-00435
    Summary

This article applies to BlackBerry® devices based on Java™.
    Background

BlackBerry Browser users can be identified both generically and uniquely. When making a request to a web server, the User-Agent header is used to determine if a BlackBerry Browser is accessing a web page. The following examples demonstrate how the User-Agent can appear:

For a BlackBerry 7290 Wireless Handheld™ running BlackBerry Device Software 4.0 Service Pack 2 (4.0.2), the User-Agent appears as follows:

User-Agent: BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1

For a BlackBerry 7210 Wireless Handheld™ running BlackBerry Device Software 3.7, the User-Agent appears as follows:

User-Agent: BlackBerry 7210/3.7.0

The specifications of the BlackBerry device and BlackBerry Device Software used can be found through the use of the profile header. The profile header provides a link to an XML document that describes the specifications and supported features of the BlackBerry device accessing the page. The following example shows how a profile header can appear:

profile: www <dot> blackberry <dot> net/go/mobile/profiles/uaprof/7290/4.0.0.rdf

Each BlackBerry Browser user can also be uniquely identified. A BlackBerry Mobile Data Service administrator can configure a BlackBerry Mobile Data Service server to send a user’s email address and personal identification number (PIN) with each HTTP request from a BlackBerry Browser. The BlackBerry Mobile Data Service can also be configured to send this information to a certain domain, such as a corporate intranet. If configured, the email address and PIN are sent as headers in the HTTP request and appear as follows:

Rim-device-email: simulator@pushme.com
    Rim-device-id: 2100000a

Note: The Rim-device-email and Rim-device-id parameters can only be sent when using the BlackBerry Browser, and are not available when using the Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) Browser or the BlackBerry Internet Service™ Browser.
    Procedure

The BlackBerry Mobile Data Service Simulator can be configured to send the email address and PINs of a BlackBerry Simulator with each HTTP request from the BlackBerry Browser. To do so, you must edit the rimpublic.property file located in the MDS\config directory and modify the line under the “#[HTTP HANDLER]” header. You must also specify the value you wish to send, as shown below:

application.handler.http.header=email,pin

Note: BlackBerry Device Software 4.0 and later support the email.pin parameter. In earlier versions, you must choose either email or pin.

The BlackBerry Mobile Data Service can be configured to only send the email address or PIN to specific domains, such as a corporate intranet. You can specify domains in the application.handler.http.header.domain parameter. This parameter accepts domains as a regular expression. The following example will send the email address or PIN to all rim.net subdomains:

application.handler.http.header.domain=.+\.rim\.ne t

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Welcome aboard Pinstack.com!

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Welcome to pinstack!
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

FYI

Just tried it out. It works, but with some caveats....

1) The rimpublic.property file was not located in the mds\config folder. It was located in the mds\server\ [server name] \config

2) Once I opened the rimpublic.property file the #[HTTP HANDLER] entry didn't exist. So I had to create one. But I had to name it [HTTP HANDLER]...no # sign.

3) Once I added the id & email lines it still didn't work. You have to restart the MDS service. Then it works.

We use asp, so I wrote a very quick asp page to test it...here is the code:

<html>
    <head>
    <title>BlackBerry Header</title>
    </head>
    <body>

<%
    dim uaheader, idheader, emailheader

uaheader = Request.ServerVariables("http_user_agent")
    idheader = Request.ServerVariables("http_rim_device_id")
    emailheader = Request.ServerVariables("http_rim_device_email")

response.write "<p>" & uaheader & "</p>"
    response.write "<p>" & idheader & "</p>"
    response.write "<p>" & emailheader & "</p>"
    %>

</body>
    </html>

I placed the asp code on our corporate intranet page and then hit the link using a web browser to validate the code would bring up the user-agent id of my web browser. It worked. Next I hit the link from my BB. Yep, that displayed all three variables.

Not wanting to expose my bb users PIN's and email to every intranet web page they hit, I used the application.handler.http.header.domain=.+\.rim\.ne t entry and configured it for my intranet namespace. Then placed the asp code on my internet web page. It worked!

Enjoy!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b